Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting Australia on two separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Transiting Australia on two separate tickets

Cautionary tale for those transiting Australia on two separate airlines - I’m USA citizen flew DPS>SYD on Virgin Australia, with same day connecting flight SYD>AKL on AirAsia. Virgin does not have an international agreement with AirAsia, which means I couldn’t be seen as a transit passenger. In order to get my Virgin ticket issued I needed an Australian visa. Luckily I was able to apply for a visa and get it issued on the spot since I’m American.

When I landed in SYD was able to use intl transfer and avoid immigration altogether, even though I didn’t have my airasia boarding pass. Not sure if this issue was specifically with Virgin and Airasia or just Airasia. Either way, if transiting Aus on two separate tickets it’s best to confirm ahead of time or just apply for Australian visa to be safe.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ballz Welcome to FT, AU & NZ

Originally Posted by Ballz
Cautionary tale for those transiting Australia on two separate airlines - I’m USA citizen flew DPS>SYD on Virgin Australia, with same day connecting flight SYD>AKL on AirAsia. Virgin does not have an international agreement with AirAsia, which means I couldn’t be seen as a transit passenger. In order to get my Virgin ticket issued I needed an Australian visa. Luckily I was able to apply for a visa and get it issued on the spot since I’m American.

When I landed in SYD was able to use intl transfer and avoid immigration altogether, even though I didn’t have my airasia boarding pass. Not sure if this issue was specifically with Virgin and Airasia or just Airasia. Either way, if transiting Aus on two separate tickets it’s best to confirm ahead of time or just apply for Australian visa to be safe.
As far VA were concerned they were taking you to Australia. So need proof you were admissible to AU. Many-most countries have the same requirement. That you had another ticket to leave AU is irrelevant. There was no guarantee you would get on that flight. More so if the DPS-SYD flight was late/very late.

That you were able to transfer airside indicates you had no checked bags. Some, but not all airlines, will interline bags on separate tickets. Some passengers that had checked bags would then need to go landside to check in - bag drop.

That you are a USA citizen makes little-no difference to getting an visa quickly. Citizens of many countries can apply on line. Most are approved quickly.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Ballz Welcome to FT, AU & NZ

As far VA were concerned they were taking you to Australia. So need proof you were admissible to AU. Many-most countries have the same requirement. That you had another ticket to leave AU is irrelevant. There was no guarantee you would get on that flight. More so if the DPS-SYD flight was late/very late.

That you were able to transfer airside indicates you had no checked bags. Some, but not all airlines, will interline bags on separate tickets. Some passengers that had checked bags would then need to go landside to check in - bag drop.

That you are a USA citizen makes little-no difference to getting an visa quickly. Citizens of many countries can apply on line. Most are approved quickly.
You are wrong that had I another ticket to leave AU would be irrelevant. If I had an onward flight on Virgin or another airline (Qantas, United, etc) I would not need to apply for AU visa as I would be seen as a transit passenger and wouldn’t have this issue.

Point of this post as I already mentioned is for it to be cautionary tale for those attempting to transit AU on two separate airlines who may not have a transit agreement in place
Old Jan 22, 2024, 8:15 pm

You are wrong that had I another ticket to leave AU would be irrelevant. If I had an onward flight on Virgin or another airline (Qantas, United, etc) I would not need to apply for AU visa as I would be seen as a transit passenger and wouldn’t have this issue.

Point of this post as I already mentioned is for it to be cautionary tale for those attempting to transit AU on two separate airlines who may not have a transit agreement in place
But your ticket is irrelevant to that airline if they don't have an agreement.
AirAsia is a low cost carrier who will barely transfer you within their own airline let alone any other. This is almost known the world over with low cost carriers. For sure some may have agreements with airlines, but most do not.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:21 pm

Australia is one of those countries that require a transit visa even if you complete your transit entirely air-side and never enter the country. I don't know how that interacts with the ETA scheme though.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 10:52 pm

This is explicitly addressed at https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...t-without-visa, which says in part:
If you are from an eligible country (see eligible countries listed below) you can transit Australia on your way to a third country. You can do this without an Australian visa, provided you meet all of the following criteria:
  • will arrive in Australia by aircraft
  • have a confirmed ticket to leave Australia to travel to a third country, by aircraft within 8 hours of arriving
  • have a valid travel document to enter the country of destination
  • must not need to clear immigration or leave the airport transit lounge for any reason before boarding your onwards flight. If you need to clear immigration, for example to collect baggage or to board an onwards flight, you will need an Australian visa. This includes people from eligible countries who meet all other criteria. For more information, see Transit facilities at Australian airports.
The second bullet bolding is mine, and shows that whether you have another ticket is relevant.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 11:07 pm

I think what Mwenzi is saying is that it's irrelavant to VA whether you have a confirmed ticket to leave or not.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indonesian is a high risk county from where some people try to make an unlawful entry into Australia.
While AU has for some TWVO (Transit without visa as link above) and for other passport holders a transit visa (even if airside), the airline is taking the risk
If the OP had a VA ticket DPD-SYD and a separate VA ticket SYD-ZQN (Queenstown, NZ) the response at DPS check-in may have been different [no idea if VA schedule allows that same day. A cheapie ticket AU - NZ may not have convince the airline.

Clicking on the airports TWOV is very limited due to AU airport operation. VA DPS were being conservative
AU Govt -->Transit facilities at Australian airports

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 22, 2024 at 11:27 pm
Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:00 pm

Programs: RFC
Virgin does not have an international agreement with AirAsia, which means I couldn’t be seen as a transit passenger. In order to get my Virgin ticket issued I needed an Australian visa. Luckily I was able to apply for a visa and get it issued on the spot since I’m American.
What agreement were you expecting? That airlines can see each others bookings prior to ticketing? Not a thing. For ANY airline.

Virgin (or anyone else) will ticket you without the visa. They might not check you in & issue you a boarding pass without seeing a visa, but that's different. If you were ticketed by AirAsia & had the confirmation/PNR at check in with Virgin, then Virgin (or anyone else) check-in staff *can* look up and confirm that. But, they often won't bother, especially out of the US where US employees tend to be lazy and pedenatic about the rules in that they only bother to read the first page of TIMATIC and then apply only what's on that first page.

As with most things intl travel related, ppl need to understand what is going on and really should do all the things they should really do. Needing a transit visa really shouldn't be a shock for anyone, just like making sure you have travel insurance should also be a no brainer. That said, lots of dumb people out there, so the reminder is not unfounded. Understanding that transit visas are NOTHING to do with "agreements between airlines" is one part of that, if only because the implied agreements simply don't exist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.