Australia visa DUI

Old Jul 8, 19, 12:56 pm

Got it. Apologies for the mistake there. It’s my first time posting here! Thank you so much! I am in a panic and stressed out over this. I appreciate your help here.
Old Jul 8, 19, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
BTW - AUS is the IATA airport for Austin–Bergstrom International Airport in Austin, TX. It would be best if you can avoid use AUS for Australia to avoid confusion.
I think this part is really unnecessary. On this thread, who would think AUS means Austin, TX rather than Australia?
OZ means Asiana. Are we not allowed to use that here either?
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 4:21 pm

Got approved!

Hello, I just wanted to update here, I submitted it without disclosing the dui and the subclass 600 went through. we were approved 11 days after submission 😊
CPMaverick likes this.

Last edited by purpletrance; Aug 13, 19 at 11:22 pm
Old Aug 13, 19, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Let us know what happens once you answer "yes" to the question on the arrival card "have you ever been convicted of a crime."
I have just submitted again a subclass 600 visa, as I was directed the last time by Immigration a few years ago. I am hoping to be able to ask a supervisory officier's opinion on rather I need to continue that route due to the wording of the question in the ETA application being changed to the "12 months" thing.

Hope I can go back to the ETA like it used to be! Just don't want to risk it when I was told directly to apply for 600 in the future or risk being denied entry. Also, even if they didn't have access to my history, obviously they have the record now. So I am extra cautious at the cost of ~2 weeks for approval versus instant.

EDIT: Whoa, i think there was some bad advice above. Purple, have you applied for an ETA or a sub class 600 visa? The subclass 600 visa question doesn't say anything about 12 months, it says "Has any applicant ever been convicted of an offence in any country (including any conviction which is now removed from official records)?" In that case the answer would be yes, and you'd be asked by IMMI online to provide a short letter detailing the incident and why you consider yourself rehabilitated, as well as court records showing you've completed any sentences / obligations / fines.

Last edited by DeepUnderground; Aug 13, 19 at 10:22 pm
Old Aug 13, 19, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground View Post
Let us know what happens once you answer "yes" to the question on the arrival card "have you ever been convicted of a crime."
I have just submitted again a subclass 600 visa, as I was directed the last time by Immigration a few years ago. I am hoping to be able to ask a supervisory officier's opinion on rather I need to continue that route due to the wording of the question in the ETA application being changed to the "12 months" thing.

Hope I can go back to the ETA like it used to be! Just don't want to risk it when I was told directly to apply for 600 in the future or risk being denied entry. Also, even if they didn't have access to my history, obviously they have the record now. So I am extra cautious at the cost of ~2 weeks for approval versus instant.

EDIT: Whoa, i think there was some bad advice above. Purple, have you applied for an ETA or a sub class 600 visa? The subclass 600 visa question doesn't say anything about 12 months, it says "Has any applicant ever been convicted of an offence in any country (including any conviction which is now removed from official records)?" In that case the answer would be yes, and you'd be asked by IMMI online to provide a short letter detailing the incident and why you consider yourself rehabilitated, as well as court records showing you've completed any sentences / obligations / fines.
Sorry for the confusion. I looked at our application again and it’s a subclass 600. (Can’t apply for an ETA) as we are not US citizens. Honestly when we get there, we’re probably just not going to disclose the dui. It was a misdemeanor and he was in and out of jail in less than 24 hours, plus it happened 5 years ago. Another person above mentioned that they checked the yes box and got stopped for that reason but did not declare it in their subclass 600 application that was approved. Will see how it goes when we arrive there. If it came up as a red flag, they would’ve known from the time we applied for the subclass 600 right? But We’ll bring the documents anyway proving he has completed his fines, etc etc. will keep you posted.

Last edited by purpletrance; Aug 13, 19 at 11:47 pm
Old Aug 13, 19, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
I think it's likely that as long as the application and arrival card have consistent answers you're going to be just fine.
I just don't understand why, if you're already doing the subclass 600, you would have lied. No one is getting denied a visa on a DUI, there's just a bit of extra paper to be submitted.
Old Aug 14, 19, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground View Post
I think it's likely that as long as the application and arrival card have consistent answers you're going to be just fine.
I just don't understand why, if you're already doing the subclass 600, you would have lied. No one is getting denied a visa on a DUI, there's just a bit of extra paper to be submitted.
Honestly I just took the advice that was given to me here. I didn’t want to risk a delay on the approval. It wasn’t a conviction that lasted 12 months so I just said no. Ugh. Now I’m stressing out again. Lol. Hopefully we’ll breeze by immigration. We’ll be there for less than a week and with no intent in renting a car anyway.
Old Aug 14, 19, 4:13 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
The majority of advice here is to be truthful. Of course you can pick and choose advice, it wasn't unanimous.

I would suggest not disclosing the crime at entry because you probably need to keep lying now, but it isn't recommended or necessary to have done so.

Originally Posted by purpletrance View Post
We’ll be there for less than a week and with no intent in renting a car anyway.
Unfortunately neither of things things have anything to do with being allowed entry.
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
The majority of advice here is to be truthful. Of course you can pick and choose advice, it wasn't unanimous.

I would suggest not disclosing the crime at entry because you probably need to keep lying now, but it isn't recommended or necessary to have done so.

Unfortunately neither of things things have anything to do with being allowed entry.

Got it. I appreciate everyone’s helpfulness! I am in panic mode now but we’ll apply for the fbi check and hopefully it will show up clear. Thank you for the accurate biometrics suggestion!
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:12 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I wouldn't panic, since you applied for a 600 visa they likely did the required checks already. It's not ideal but most likely you'll be ok