Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Years Eve in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

New Years Eve in Sydney

I'm trying to find a good place to watch the New Year's Eve fireworks for a family of four. We don't have to have front-row seats, but it'd be nice to have a view of the bridge and/or opera house. What are some good options? All of the boats would be over $1000 for four people and it sounds like all of the parks start filling up mid-afternoon. Any other suggestions? Perhaps booking a particular hotel with a harbor view or one of the beaches?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jzongker
.. Perhaps booking a particular hotel with a harbor view or one of the beaches?
Those hotels were booked out months ago, at extremely high rates. Minimum stay at some of those hotels is often 3 or 4 nights at New Year eve.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Mwenenzi is accurate abotu hotels, if you find rooms available, they are at a premium.

Most experiences have booked up by now, but there has been an offering through the Royal Botanical Gardens that usually opens around Oct 1st for tickets. I think it is around the $200+ or more for the reserved seating though.

NYE is a big deal and everyone wants the same view you are asking for.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Wow. I expected it to be crowded, but being on the harbor with miles of shoreline, boats and tall buildings I figured there would be something available somewhere. Being a few miles away would be fine as long as there's still a view. We'll be there for 7 days so the minimum stay isn't an issue.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Wow. I expected it to be crowded, but being on the harbor with miles of shoreline, boats and tall buildings I figured there would be something available somewhere. Being a few miles away would be fine as long as there's still a view. We'll be there for 7 days so the minimum stay isn't an issue.
There isn't that much shoreline to watch the main show from. Sydney Harbour has a lot of bays and is fairly built up. So to be able to watch the postcard show of the Bridge and Opera House you need to be in a pretty compact area. Most of the hotels with the best viewing areas would have long, long ago sold out. In fact, I'd really suggest you lock in some accomodation pretty quickly.

You really either have to fork out $$$ for a guaranteed spot somewhere decent, or turn up at dawn and wait all day.

The Botannical Gardens is probably the best "value".

https://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/nye-picnic
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Just to give you an idea of the prices for the night - and this is across the harbour

http://viewhotels.com.au/northsydneyharbourviewhotel/

http://viewhotels.com.au/northsydney..._years_eve.pdf
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
The Botannical Gardens is probably the best "value".

https://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/nye-picnic
Perfect! Thank you!!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:08 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Be aware that the botanical garden starts to fill up at 6 am (I kid you not) and by noon all the prime spots are taken, whats left has no view of the anything other than the high flying fireworks. There is a reason that those $1000 view excursions sell out. The catch with hotels as most of the ones with a view would require you to have 2 rooms, as max 1 child and 2 adults in a room (so that is AUD 8000 and up). You won't believe the crowds until you experience it (very friendly but very crowded and for a long time).
trooper likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Be aware that the botanical garden starts to fill up at 6 am (I kid you not) and by noon all the prime spots are taken, whats left has no view of the anything other than the high flying fireworks.
Yikes! Is that true for the Mare and Foal Lawn or just the public areas? It doesn't look like M&F opens until 5pm and it appears to be an unobstructed lawn on Google Maps. http://www.artphototravel.net/wp-con...cation_Map.jpg
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
There is a private event for the Botanical Gardens Foundation at that lawn starting at 5pm. Cost $75 for members, membership is $65 pp. $140 for non members of the foundation so either way minimum spend is $140.

That information is in the link for the NYE picnic you posted above.

I guess you buy your own food and drinks and that'll be cheaper than getting to a catered event.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yikes! Is that true for the Mare and Foal Lawn or just the public areas? It doesn't look like M&F opens until 5pm and it appears to be an unobstructed lawn on Google Maps. http://www.artphototravel.net/wp-con...cation_Map.jpg
The link I posted to above will give you a good view, and will be busy but not heaving. As you point out it opens at 5pm, so no point getting there before then. Just be aware of the conditions (no glass bottles, no sharp knives) and that it is self-catered.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bensyd
The link I posted to above will give you a good view, and will be busy but not heaving. As you point out it opens at 5pm, so no point getting there before then. Just be aware of the conditions (no glass bottles, no sharp knives) and that it is self-catered.
Thanks, man. You're a lifesaver. We've bought the tickets.

Went ahead and booked a hotel too (ouch!).
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
There is a private event for the Botanical Gardens Foundation at that lawn starting at 5pm. Cost $75 for members, membership is $65 pp. $140 for non members of the foundation so either way minimum spend is $140.

That information is in the link for the NYE picnic you posted above.

I guess you buy your own food and drinks and that'll be cheaper than getting to a catered event.
I looked at the link and saw that you can't book online outside of Australia..has anyone emailed the office and been able to become a member from outside Australia. If it matters, I am a member of the Chicago botanic garden. We are a middle aged couple trying to decide if booking the opera gala would be best from the crowd timing etc point of view vs one of the botanic garden events which although a bit cheaper require more time, and we don't have beach chairs or blankets for a proper picnic. We have a hotel already so that is not a problem.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldiswide
I looked at the link and saw that you can't book online outside of Australia..has anyone emailed the office and been able to become a member from outside Australia.
The OP did and does not live in Australia, I think.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Did not have a location listed, so I could not tell. I am deciding between the botanic garden and the opera house program. We were in Sydney for NYE about 15 years ago, were able to picnic in the rocks area, but for some reason I can not recall there were no 9pm fireworks that year, only the midnight ones. I am considering the Opera house which is timed for intermission to see the 9pm fireworks.. and wondering if it is unusual for the 9pm to be cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.