Search

Carrying Corelle dinnerware set?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Carrying Corelle dinnerware set?

I got 32pc Corelle dinnerware set - was told it heavy as 20lb
It is carry on size.

Is it safe to check-in in the original box - need the original box since it will be gifted?

How do most people manage?

Update:
Qantas - then a partner airlines for a short for 1hr flight

Last edited by sciconf; Aug 6, 2017 at 9:26 am
Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
In the original packing, it may make it without breaking, but it would be safer to carry it on.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
It is most likely too heavy to carry-on for most airlines in this region (you didn't specify which).

While it would usually be OK as-is, you can't really predict what happens to checked baggage. I would recommend wrapping the original box in bubble-wrap and putting it in a larger suitcase or box. Then labeling it fragile. With this extra protection, it will probably be OK athough you can never guarantee it.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
It is most likely too heavy to carry-on for most airlines in this region (you didn't specify which).
Qantas flight - then a partner airlines for a short for 1hr flight

This site says 7kg/ 15lb - this is 20lb - are they going to give me trouble if I try to carry on - how often they measure - how much tolerant are they?
https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...age-allowances

Update
United does not have a weight limit - if u can lift and its within the dimension, you are fine
Qantas has the lowest weight limit of 7kgs - frustrating
So I check-in - if it breaks Qantas going to reimburse: loose - loose.

Last edited by sciconf; Aug 6, 2017 at 6:47 pm
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

What is the tel # for Qantas reps at SFO?
I called SFO and they only directed me to the main #
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:41 pm

I don't have experience with Qantas at SFO, but I do have experience with VA, which has the same 7kg rule. I find that if they think it looks heavy, they will weigh it. You are so far over the limit, I think it is really risky to try. If you do try to carry-on, make sure you have a plan B because you know it is against the rules.

I doubt you will find a direct line to any airline counter staff. if you ask them they will quote the rules. The best advice is to follow the rules and check the package. If you pack it well you are unlikely to have problems.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:42 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I have learned to just not give fragile things as gifts when the recipient is in another country. If it breaks, you'll have to buy another gift anyway so might as well just save the hassle and buy it in the destination?

However, they made it from the place of production to the place where you bought them without breaking, so leaving it all packed as if just bought, and getting a fragile sticker should usually be fine.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:26 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Corelle is unbreakable (it is plastic not china) ... I've used Corelle plates for frisbees and even my dog cant break it. No problem checking it in if real Corelle.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Corelle is unbreakable (it is plastic not china) ... I've used Corelle plates for frisbees and even my dog cant break it. No problem checking it in if real Corelle.
To be accurate, Break resistant.

We have a couple from the set, fell on the floor and broke.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks

@CPMaverick, @!, @Doc Savage, @number_6:

I really appreciate your perspective. It really helped me.
I was searching online - everyone on Tripadvisor were suggesting carry on - but after reading your responses I realized that none of those about Corelle!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:51 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
It is certainly not unbreakable (and this bowl was certainly genuine) - my wife swiped one off the table by accident and it shattered to pieces.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:54 pm

I don't know what you are talking about. Corelle is break-resistant tempered glass. Not plastic! And while more sturdy than standard china of a similar thickness, it is not difficult to break at all if you wanted to. It gets its name from Corning (glass company).

Corning has sold the brand so perhaps they make some plastic products now, but classic Corelle is NOT plastic.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Aug 7, 2017 at 7:03 pm
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:36 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Pretty unbreakable in my limited experience, others seem to have the same experience if you believe the video
Point is that checked baggage should not break it and no need to carry onboard as it isn't fragile like china.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:59 am

Oh please, I could find videos of plates breaking as well. They do break, they aren't plastic. Your post was quite incorrect.

Tempered glass is very strong but only because it has a very high residual stress. This can cause it to break in unusual circumstances. It still needs to be packed carefully.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Aug 8, 2017 at 7:06 am
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Pretty unbreakable in my limited experience, others seem to have the same experience if you believe the video Corelle Plate Unbreakable? - YouTube
Point is that checked baggage should not break it and no need to carry onboard as it isn't fragile like china.
He is carefully dropping - ie in a controlled way.
That is not how things work in real world

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.