Aussie Rules tour 2018

Old May 28, 2018, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by glennaa11
Arrived in Canberra yesterday afternoon... I get that it was a holiday, but the city seems to be totally devoid of people. It's almost eerie. And now that I am here I see how it is not made for walking at all. Maybe that's why I didn't see any people.
Best thing to do in Canberra is rent a car.

Once you then get used to driving in Circles, there's plenty to get out to.

See here for Ozfest 2012 and some examples: Oz Festno 9 Canberra Australia - Memorial Day Weekend, May 25-27, 2012
Old May 29, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
I hope your tour has gone well. It is good to see interest from the US in Australian Rules. Most of my American friends look at me blankly when I mention it. But so do some of my Australian friends
Old May 30, 2018, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: most of them
actually I am starting to get used to Canberra. I am only here for a couple of days. I don't like driving when I can avoid it so decided against renting a car. The National Gallery, National Library, Old Parliament, etc are only about 15 minutes walk from where I am staying in Barton. So, not too bad. I took an Uber to the War Memorial and then walked back by going around the lake and crossing Commonwealth Ave bridge. It was a little chilly this evening but once I got moving it wasn't too bad.

I debated about taking the dawn balloon flight but decided to go ahead and book it for Friday.

The crazy, noisy parrots are really something! Whole flocks of colorful birds all over the place but boy do they make a racket.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Excellent photos of the WC/Hawks.

If you like wine, then Mount Majura is just over a ridge from urban Canberra and can be reached by Uber/taxi.

We had an enjoyable visit there last year.

Tasting samples quite generous compared to other Aussie wineries I've visited.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the tip, but wine is not really my thing. Headed to the democracy museum this morning and then Canberra Glassworks this afternoon
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
thanks for the tip, but wine is not really my thing. Headed to the democracy museum this morning and then Canberra Glassworks this afternoon
Not sure if it is your thing. There is a Cartier and famous jewellery show at the Australian Museum. I am going to travel from Syd to Canberra to see it.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:59 am
Original Poster

I did go to the Cartier exhibit. It is larger than I was expecting. The tickets were a bit pricey, but I thought it was worthwhile. It is at the National Gallery, not the Australian Museum

I really liked the National Library too. They have a small museum that I thought was really well done.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum

Etihad has surprisingly great lighting
I was at that game. Sat on the second level, wing, 2 rows from the front.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Guvner067
I was at that game. Sat on the second level, wing, 2 rows from the front.
Nice position; I watched from level 1 row 8, just behind the Eagle's dugout.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I did go to the Cartier exhibit. It is larger than I was expecting. The tickets were a bit pricey, but I thought it was worthwhile. It is at the National Gallery, not the Australian Museum

I really liked the National Library too. They have a small museum that I thought was really well done.
Good to hear about Cartier exhibition.

My team thrashed the Crows. Yay.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
So are you planning a 2019 trip? Ill be making two trips down - first seeing 3 games in Round 7 and then 2 games in August.
glennaa11 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Not this year, unfortunately. But I am thinking maybe towards the end of next season.
WiscAZ likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.