Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aussie Rules tour 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by glennaa11
Good point. I think my plan will be to see as many teams and venues as I can squeeze in. It looks like Ticketmaster and Ticketek sell a number of different categories depending on club membership and so forth. Is there a legal secondary market? Like Stubhub here in the US?
Aside from the Grand Final, eBay is a legal secondary market in Victoria.
Having said that, very very few regular season games sell out in Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane.
The secondary market tends to be for "Premium" seats.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: most of them
Thanks. Well, I am a "premium" sort of person. :-)

Last edited by glennaa11; Aug 7, 2017 at 11:14 am
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:54 am

Been there, done that

I just did this in August 2017!

Tickets were pretty easy to come by, but be aware that you'll need a computer versus just mobile to buy some tickets once you've arrived there. The mobile app wasn't accepting overseas credit cards. Was easy to buy tickets at stadium ticket windows too.

Seconding a trip down to Geelong, it was a fun atmosphere and was easy enough to get there.

Aussies could not have been more fun or welcoming during the games. Don't forget that you can bring your own food and drink into stadiums. Google Melbourne cheeseboard for ideas

Youll have a wondeful time!

Feel free to hit me up with questions.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I may well do that. I guess the fixture comes out next month.

I figured I would probably arrange the tickets before I leave home.

Did you stay in the Melbourne vicinity or travel further afield?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
A Richmond game would possibly be a highlight for atmosphere now that they won the 2017 Grand Final. See them unfurl the Premiership Flag to the screams of all those Premiership starved Richmond fans.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

next season's match schedule was released today... not quite what I was hoping for at first glance, but I still need to work through the permutations

thinking of a double header MCG/Etihad that should be doable first game at 4:35 and second one at 7:25
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

next season's match schedule was released today... not quite what I was hoping for at first glance, but I still need to work through the permutations

thinking of a double header MCG/Etihad that should be doable first game at 4:35 and second one at 7:25
What was the date you planned to attend on?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:56 pm

Should slot together nicely with a walk to Richmond or Jolimont station after the MCG then 2 stops to Southern Cross. 5 minute walk to Etihad stadium from there.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
What was the date you planned to attend on?
I'll hazard a guess and say May 19th.

Essendon v Geelong
followed by
StKilda v Collingwood

both games will be hard to get 'decent' tickets to, especially if Essendon and Collingwood are doing well.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guvner067
I'll hazard a guess and say May 19th.

Essendon v Geelong
followed by
StKilda v Collingwood

both games will be hard to get 'decent' tickets to, especially if Essendon and Collingwood are doing well.
Big supporter base for Collingwood and Essendon so good atmosphere for a visitor
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:04 am
Original Poster

sorry I didn't follow up for a while.

Yes, I arrive on May 17. Toying with the idea of just continuing on to Adelaide for the Friday night match and then back to Melbourne Saturday morning. But after a day plus traveling it's probably not wise.

Since I'll only ever need a single ticket to these matches I am thinking that it should be possible with a little planning ahead to get what I need.

I head back home on June 2. So I'll realistically just have 2 weekends. With the Friday night match before I leave at the SCG there's no way I can get to that.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: QF, HH
Originally Posted by mandolino
Try to get down to Geelong for one of their home games at Kardinia Park, usually listed under the current sponsor, which is "Simonds Stadium" in 2017 but will be GMHBA Stadium in 2018.

It's about an hour on the train from Melbourne and a pleasant enough city.
Yes, if you happen on a good home match in Geelong then you'll be sure to have an over-enthusiastic crowd. I used to live down there some years back and could hear the stadium roar from our backyard.

As for the day they won the grand final, well...
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

My plan is coming together.

Based on the present fixture list I am going to go ahead and go directly to Adelaide when I arrive in Australia. So I will have Thursday (17 May) evening there and then all day Friday before the match at 19:30. I expect to be fairly tired but hopefully I will get a good solid sleep.

Then Saturday morning fly back to MEL for 2 matches that day at the MCG and Etihad. And another on Sunday at the MCG. Then I'll have all week in Melbourne to knock around before the Friday night match at Etihad, Saturday early at MCG and then late at Geelong. It will be pushing it a bit since it looks like there aren't a whole lot of trains back and forth. Then Sunday early afternoon at Etihad. That makes a total of 8 matches, 11 teams, 4 venues total.

Then I'll basically have the whole week to figure out what to do before I head home starting on the following Saturday morning. So, if you had a whole week (Mon-Fri) where would you go? I did a whirlwind day trip to Canberra on my first visit to Australia in 1991. I am thinking it might be nice to go there and relax seeing the sights. The flights are short and frequent. I've been to Sydney a couple of times already so I feel like I don't really need to go there. I guess another option is Perth, but I don't know what there is to do there or how easy it is to navigate.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Looks like you run across Memorial Day. There's a long standing DO going on: Oz Fest 15 Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 25-27, 2018

You'll certainly get your fill of MCG atmosphere at the Essendon v Geelong game.

Tickets for Essendon v Geelong, St. Kilda v Collingwood and Collingwood v Bulldogs v game will go quickly.

Geelong games at Kardinia Park and Adelaide games at AO can be hard to get tickets for.

Carlton v. Melbourne on the 20th, Hawthorn v West coast on the 27th should be fine for walk up.

As an AFL member I can help you with tickets for the Etihad (ES) and MCG games - PM me if you are interested.
glennaa11, kirkwoodj and Catweazle like this.

Last edited by serfty; Jan 22, 2018 at 8:16 pm
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Once tickets go on sale I will try to get them. Looks like early March is the timeframe for general public sales. I see that Stubhub is also an option (for some venues at least).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.