Aussie Rules tour 2018

Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: most of them
Just finished buying my match tickets. 8 games, 4 venues - Adelaide Oval, MCG, Etihad and Geelong. Managed to get front row seats for all of the games except the 3 at the MCG. But I might keep my eyes open for other options as the dates get closer.

Went ahead and did my ETA last night too so I don't forget. Now I just have to wait a couple of more months, but I am very excited.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by glennaa11
Just finished buying my match tickets. 8 games, 4 venues - Adelaide Oval, MCG, Etihad and Geelong. Managed to get front row seats for all of the games except the 3 at the MCG. But I might keep my eyes open for other options as the dates get closer.

Went ahead and did my ETA last night too so I don't forget. Now I just have to wait a couple of more months, but I am very excited.
Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't think front row seats are the best. The seats where you are a little bit higher so you can see the whole ground are more to my liking.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't think front row seats are the best. The seats where you are a little bit higher so you can see the whole ground are more to my liking.
I cannot agree more, particularly so at big grounds like the MCG.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:17 am
Original Poster

I appreciate that everyone has different preferences. I prefer to be close to the action even if it's not the best "view". I also like to take photos so being as close to the field as possible is best for that. I had soccer season tickets for many years and liked my field-side seats that were right on the touchline.

I get the best view on TV for every other match of the season.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:10 am
Original Poster

I have been here a week. It's a shame that all of the matches last weekend were blowouts. So hopefully this weekend will be better. Luckily I brought my rain poncho to the match in Adelaide. I got hassled a bit by the staff at Etihad about my camera despite being clearly within the allowed guideline for lenses. We'll see how it goes there this weekend. In the end I probably could have walked up to get tickets but I am happy I booked everything ahead of time.

My phone fell out of my pocket on the Uber ride from Adelaide airport to my hotel. But luckily the staff there helped me contact the driver to get it back. So kudos to the Holiday Inn Express City Centre and my Uber driver.

Maybe the sun will come out tomorrow like the forecast says. It's odd how that keeps changing. I am planning to do the hot air balloon in Canberra next week but the forecast keeps changing. But overall I am having a great time being here.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Came across this thread and enjoyed following it. Are you an Aussie living in the States or are you an American? I lived in AU as a child for a year and a half and fell in love with AFL. I go back 1 or 2 times a year for work now and always take in as many AFL games as I can. This year I'm going in August and will get to see two games - also doing the MCG/Etihad (see they are changing it to Marvel Stadium) day/night game.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:22 am
Original Poster

just an American. I met an interesting guy at the Carlton v Melbourne match last week. He's a life-long Carlton fan who comes down from QLD to see matches from time to time. He spent some time living in the US.

I watched them close the roof for tonight's match at Etihad from my Airbnb across the street from Southern Cross. The sun finally came out today. Supposed to be a nice weekend.

I am thinking next year (?) I need to get to the new stadium in Perth. It looks pretty spectacular.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:35 am

How did you get into the sport? I truly feel it is the best game in the world and I’m a huge MLB and NFL fan. This year I paid to get all the AFL games on my iPad. I’m a Melbourne supporter so wanted to be able to watch.
Old May 26, 2018, 8:46 am
Original Poster

I guess I first saw it back in the 80s when ESPN broadcast games because they didn't have a lot of other content. Then there was no US coverage for a long time until maybe 10 years ago when ESPN had some games again and then Fox Sports World started some coverage. Now there's a game a week on FS2. But I also started subscribing to the WatchAFL app last year to watch all of the matches and other content. Definitely worth the subscription fee. I like that I can Chromecast it all to my TV.

I enjoyed going down to Geelong tonight even though the train was way too overcrowded. It's a cool little stadium. I was a bit shocked when they said attendance was 31K. I'd have guessed capacity was more like 25K.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:17 pm

I guess I first saw it back in the 80s when ESPN broadcast games because they didn't have a lot of other content. Then there was no US coverage for a long time until maybe 10 years ago when ESPN had some games again and then Fox Sports World started some coverage. Now there's a game a week on FS2. But I also started subscribing to the WatchAFL app last year to watch all of the matches and other content. Definitely worth the subscription fee. I like that I can Chromecast it all to my TV.

I enjoyed going down to Geelong tonight even though the train was way too overcrowded. It's a cool little stadium. I was a bit shocked when they said attendance was 31K. I'd have guessed capacity was more like 25K.
Well glad to hear there are others like me. I love the WatchAFL app. It's perfectly done between the ability to download and avoid seeing the scores. I have yet to get to Geelong. This year it will be 2 MCG, 1 Etihad for me. I always enjoy the smaller stadiums as a change of pace.
Old May 26, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
My plan is coming together.

Friday night match at Etihad, Saturday early at MCG and then late at Geelong. It will be pushing it a bit since it looks like there aren't a whole lot of trains back and forth. Then Sunday early afternoon at Etihad. That makes a total of 8 matches, 11 teams, 4 venues total.
I was Going to OZFest this weekend, but a late notice issue with my work put paid to that.

So, I'm off to see Hawks v. Eagles today ... leaving home in an hour (it's coming up to 11am Sunday here, game starts 1:10pm).
Old May 27, 2018, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Well today you saw a better game - more of a Finals (playoffs) type.

Heaps of pressure and reasonably close.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:31 am
Original Poster

definitely the best match of the bunch
Old May 27, 2018, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Etihad has surprisingly great lighting
serfty likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Arrived in Canberra yesterday afternoon... I get that it was a holiday, but the city seems to be totally devoid of people. It's almost eerie. And now that I am here I see how it is not made for walking at all. Maybe that's why I didn't see any people.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.