FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   Can you get Uber from Auckland airport domestic? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/1850815-can-you-get-uber-auckland-airport-domestic.html)

Ellice Jun 29, 2017 7:43 pm

Can you get Uber from Auckland airport domestic?

Hi just wondering if anyone can answer this. How can you get an uber from Auckland domestic airport?

In Wellington you have to walk over to Burger King, is there some similar arrangement at Auckland domestic? Thx in advance.

justakiwi Jun 29, 2017 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Ellice (Post 28502541)
Hi just wondering if anyone can answer this. How can you get an uber from Auckland domestic airport?

In Wellington you have to walk over to Burger King, is there some similar arrangement at Auckland domestic? Thx in advance.

Apparently they will pick you up outside the Jetstar terminal. The first & only time I tried it, the app was quoting a similar price to a taxi, and when the driver told me I had to schlep my gear to their pickup spot, it was a big fat nope.

Shame, since I'm pretty happy with Uber otherwise.

justakiwi

Beckett66 Jun 29, 2017 9:47 pm

I've had them pick me up on both my trips to Auckland in the last month. The 1st driver phoned me and told me to meet him at the ticket machine in the carpark building just across from the domestic terminal. The 2nd guy picked me up from the main drop-off area. There were wardens everywhere so I tried to be discreet by putting my phone away and greeting him like I knew him. :-)

The Uber app will sometimes quote a trip from AKL domestic to the CBD via Manukau, which added about $15 when it happened to me. You can get different results by tweaking the pickup spot (typing "Auckland Airport" rather than "Auckland Domestic" or something), or you can tell the driver not to go via Manukau.

NZDavid Jun 30, 2017 12:30 am

Normally for domestic the drivers actually have a swipe card and they pick you up from the pre-booked taxi lane

Ellice Jun 30, 2017 5:07 am

Thanks for the uber tips guys.

dadig Jun 30, 2017 4:37 pm

I don't bother being discrete - just call the Uber after your ride is accepted and arrange a meet up point

sbiddle Jun 30, 2017 8:31 pm

A little OT but it was hilarious catching an uber in Prague a few days ago.

The driver had to stop right outside the airport barrier to remove the tape from his number plate - the airport uses ANPR so they do this to avoid being detected for multiple entries.

NZ_Flyer Jun 30, 2017 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by NZDavid (Post 28503236)
Normally for domestic the drivers actually have a swipe card and they pick you up from the pre-booked taxi lane

Yeah that's been my experience the last few times as well. Either pre-booked taxi lane or they just use the public pick-up/drop-off. Wellington Airport the last few I've met in the downstairs pick-up area. Christchurch is more difficult as Uber blocks that so you need to choose a location near the airport then message/call the driver to pick you up from the public pick-up/drop off.

sbiddle Jul 1, 2017 12:54 am

Some will operate at WLG but many won't as they're scared of the threats from the airport company.. they even block Uber from their WiFi.

Ellice Jul 1, 2017 1:34 am

Yep we came back from Sydney and there was a half hour massive taxi queue as QF comes in after the NZ flight and since it's so strict at WLG we booked the uber and walked over to Burger King. Wouldn't be so keen on that if it was raining though. Anyway whilst waiting at Burger King a taxi driver yelled out asking if we wanted a ride. I don't think he would be able to match the uber price though somehow.

sbiddle Jul 1, 2017 2:45 am

My last 2 flights in the past month from Oz have seen 50+ people in the taxi line at WLG with no taxi's. GF came back a few weeks ago and said it was the same.

Kiwi Flyer Jul 1, 2017 3:14 pm

The problem at WLG is the international flights arrive close to each other. Fine to get a taxi if on the first flight in, but a long wait for a taxi if on the later flights to arrive.

kkg Jul 3, 2017 4:32 am

Auckland international

I will be arriving tomorrow at 10:30pm at auckland international. If I am not willing to pick up calls (roaming), should i just give up the idea of uber?

NZDavid Jul 3, 2017 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by kkg (Post 28513973)
I will be arriving tomorrow at 10:30pm at auckland international. If I am not willing to pick up calls (roaming), should i just give up the idea of uber?

as of the last update on Uber you can message the driver through the app instead of text message - you could try that? Normally pick up next to Novotel

oranjemakker Jul 4, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks guys! just took an uber from AKL domestic to town for the first time. Was super easy, the driver had access to lane 3 (where the shuttles go) and cost was $43 when the COOP driver was quoting $70!