Wiki Posts
Search

Tourist tax from 1st July?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
Tourist tax from 1st July?

A friend has been advised by their travel agent that the Australian Government will be imposing a tourist tax of about $4 AUS per person per day for anyone entering the country from 1st July. He was told that if he paid in full for his flights to Australia before the 1st of July he would not have to pay this tax. I can find nothing on Google about it and wondered if his travel agent was just trying to pull a fast one on him?
Any advice I can pass onto him?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Australian departure tax (technically "Passenger Movement Charge") increases from $55 to $60 on July 1.

That's a A$5 *total* per passenger increase, not per day.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Tanya934
$4 AUS per person per day for anyone entering the country from 1st July.
wondered if his travel agent was just trying to pull a fast one on him?
Any advice I can pass onto him?
Nice scam if you can work it for the travel agent, if it's a trip of any more than a few days. And who flies to Australia for a couple of days (except an FT'er on a mileage run )

@docbert has it right.

As for advice - how about that he find another TA who isn't going to scam him!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Best Western, Miles & More
Thanks. I have passed on the advice to him. He is flying to Perth in January and was stressing out at having to find the full balance for a party of 7! I agree with the comments that he needs to use another TA in future!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.