Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for Australia/NZ Trip

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Advice for Australia/NZ Trip

I'm currently looking at booking a 2 week trip next February to either Australia/New Zealand or just Australia itself. Any advice would be great because I'm on the fence on both.

Australia/NZ
Day 1-4 Auckland and surrounding areas
Day 5-7 Alice Springs/Ayers Rock
Day 8-10 Melbourne
Day 11-14 Sydney

Australia
Day 1-3 Melbourne
Day 4-6 Ayers Rock
Day 7-10 Brisbane/Canaberra
Day 11-14 Sydeny

What would you do if you're going on this type of trip.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm sorry, please close this duplicate thread and I'll post my question in the other bigger thread.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Why spend 3 nights in Auckland? Auckland (even using it as a base) isn't the heart of NZ at all. If you want to do NZ, I would suggest leave it for a separate trip. If your intent is to only check off the country, than have at it.

It is a lot of travel. I try to get my clients to stay in MEL for at least 3 nights, it is a really cool city with a lot to offer. Two nights for Uluru is fine. Brisbane and Canberra are not close to each other, so I am not sure if you mean this as a "which do I pick". If so, pick Brisbane.

I would slow down the itinerary - you have a lot of time at airports planned.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
>What would you do if you're going on this type of trip.

I've been on those types of trips and can't say I'd make the same picks for a first trip ... maybe there's some back story not made clear.

-Anything in particular you'd want to get out of the trip
-Regardless of travel destination, what do you/your companions enjoy/hate doing
-Solo, small group, young kids, older parents, etc ... some idea of who's going ???
-Any limitations ? ex. Looking for strictly backpacker accommodations
Old May 17, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by portland67
I'm currently looking at booking a 2 week trip next February to either Australia/New Zealand or just Australia itself. Any advice would be great because I'm on the fence on both.

Australia/NZ
Day 1-4 Auckland and surrounding areas
Day 5-7 Alice Springs/Ayers Rock
Day 8-10 Melbourne
Day 11-14 Sydney

Australia
Day 1-3 Melbourne
Day 4-6 Ayers Rock
Day 7-10 Brisbane/Canberra
Day 11-14 Sydney
You do not seem to be appreciate the size of Australia - NZ and time/distance to get from one place to another
Too many places in too short a time. Given the flight schedule to places like the red centre, that will effectively take a day. NZ to Aust is 3:25hr with a 2 hour time change
Australia/NZ trip http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=AKL-SYD-ASP-AYQ-MEL-SYD
Australia trip http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MEL-ASP-BNE-CBR-SYD (but no flights ASP_BNE)

Originally Posted by portland67
I'm sorry, please close this duplicate thread and I'll post my question in the other bigger thread.
What thread?
You can ask this thread to be moved by a moderator

Edit:
Also asked in this thread post 310 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...l#post28324237

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 18, 2017 at 1:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.