Australia car rental

Old May 25, 17, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Looking to visit again, this time definitely planning to rent a car to drive along the GOR and visit the Grampians as well.

East Coast Car Rentals has the best prices but the lowest reviews on rentalcars.com and Autoeurope.com. Also low reviews on Google as well

Europcar has higher prices but not as high as Hertz or Avis. Reviews are good on rentalcars.com and Autoeurope.com but low reviews on Google.

One common complaint about both companies is that the cars are old, beat up, or not clean, some having alignment issues. Another common complain is $1000 deposit charged right away (though that's not uncommon in Europe either) and claims of damages by ECCR or Europcar leading to charges on cards. Of course the reviews claim there were dents already on the cars when they picked up.

Had planned on renting from one of these agencies and have already booked places to stay before and after the car rental near the rental offices on La Trobe and Franklin streets.

But now considering going with bigger agencies (Avis, Hertz, Budget, Thrifty), even if rental costs are higher.

However, I also found a local company which has okay reviews on Google, called Melbourne Car Rental, on A'Beckett Street. Their prices are low and they do rent older cars though they show cars from 2010 to 2016.

Anyone familiar with this company?

http://www.melbournecaranduterentals...melbourne-cbd/
Old May 25, 17, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I rented from East Coast d.b.a Sixt from SYD for about two weeks last Sept. Decent little Japanese car, seemed fairly new, had no hassles.
Old May 25, 17, 9:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
wco81 I rented from Apex a while ago in Sydney and Melbourne, both times the cars were new (Hyundais) and rates for zero-excess were pretty cheap.

http://www.apexrentacar.com.au/
Old May 26, 17, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the pointer!
Old Jun 1, 17, 1:49 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I use an aggregator called VroomVroomVroom for cheap Australian car rentals. They usually seem to point towards Red Dot.

A'Beckett Street is a short street where Avis and several other car rental places are.
Old Jun 2, 17, 6:35 pm

East Coast Rentals were fine in Brisbane in March - nearly new Toyota , no problems . My Apex experiences are from NZ , but again very decent , only kept me waiting for a car once in 12 or 15 rentals , so I would go back
Old Jun 4, 17, 9:06 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I've used Europcar at SYD and MEL with good success, cheaper than Hertz and similar quality though fewer high end cars (and quite expensive if you want an E400 cabriolet, but they do have them). Overall car rental in Oz is better than most countries, ime, but fewer bargains unless you have date flexibility (e.g. price varies by day of week for pickup and often week costs less than 4 days).
Old Jul 24, 17, 1:18 am

Rental from Sydney on labour day

I am trying to minimize the time of having a rental car at Sydney. Need a car for oct 2 one day but it seems all local rental agencies close on Oct 2. Anyone knows a solution other than renting the night before or from the airport? Thanks.
Old Jul 24, 17, 3:10 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by khkchan View Post
I am trying to minimize the time of having a rental car at Sydney. Need a car for oct 2 one day but it seems all local rental agencies close on Oct 2. Anyone knows a solution other than renting the night before or from the airport? Thanks.
I think you will struggle to find any locations open to serve you except at the airport.

You may want to look into a carshare service. I have not used them but I see the cars all around Melbourne. Car Next Door is one that I know allows overseas licenses. These are hourly rentals with no fixed location, scattered around the city.
Old Jul 26, 17, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
I think you will struggle to find any locations open to serve you except at the airport.

You may want to look into a carshare service. I have not used them but I see the cars all around Melbourne. Car Next Door is one that I know allows overseas licenses. These are hourly rentals with no fixed location, scattered around the city.

Thanks for the tips about carshare. I managed to sign up with Hertz 24/7 @ Sydney. They allow people from UK, USA & Canada to sign up and with no sign up or monthly fee.
Old Oct 13, 17, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

How about Jucy Car rentals. Anyone rent from them?

They have a 7-day rental of a Carolla sedan or hatchback for $169.

In comparison, East-West lists a Carolla sedan for $617.54 for the same period!

These are US dollars through rentalcars.com.

Do Jucy have old cars? Do they engage in shenanigans like trying to claim you damaged the car?
Old Nov 30, 17, 3:22 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
I'm off to Perth next year and looking at hiring a car for 10 days.
From reading this thread am I right in assuming the following:

All cars come with insurance such as CDW.
All cars have a high excess as a result of this.
The car hire companies will try to sell you a policy that covers the excess on pickup.
I can purchase an excess coverage policy in the UK before leaving for Australia.
If I don't take the car hire companies excess coverage policy then a hold request to the value of the excess is placed against my credit card.
Old Nov 30, 17, 7:09 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by McG View Post
If I don't take the car hire companies excess coverage policy then a hold request to the value of the excess is placed against my credit card.
I've never had this. I use a debit card primarily, and have had excess well over my balance and not had any issues. I usually use Hertz or Budget. Other companies may be different.
Old Nov 30, 17, 10:30 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The hold is for estimated cost of rental plus 10% typically, I too have never run into a hold for the excess (which tends to be $3000 or more). Cost for 10 day rental should be under $1000 though it varies a lot by date (supply is tight and rates double during high demand periods in much of Oz). As for excess coverage, you may already have insurance that covers it (my personal car insurance policy does, for example, but not all policies include this).
Old Jan 26, 18, 5:17 pm

Programs: IHG, SPG, Hyatt, AS, AC, BA, AA, VS
Not sure if this question belongs here exactly, but... I am going to Canberra for a few days at the end of May. Is it worth renting a car? It looks like things are fairly spread out so not really walkable no matter where I decide to stay. Obviously there are taxis, Uber and some buses and I am not a huge fan of driving (and have never driven on the "wrong side" before). I am seeing rates around US$225 for 4 days. I need to check on the whole excess thing but I presume my Chase Sapphire Reserve card covers that since it has primary coverage - but I need to do the research.

Search this Thread