APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC)

Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by unitedhandcuffs
Update. I submitted the application while back in Australia, (arrived at their offices feb 16th) and then followed up with an email. Got an auto response stating that processing time is currently 12 weeks. Will let you know actual processing time.
Just keep in mind that's their processing time. Once you're approved, only then does it go off to the other countries for approval, which will take several more months to complete (although you can get an interim card once you're approved for some countries).
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/MM, Marriott TE, National EE, Global Entry/TSA-Pre, APEC BTC
I'm actually fine with just the interim card at this point. My travel to APEC countries is only really US, Canada, Australia, China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong so as an Australian citizen I only really need the visa for China. I recently got a 1 year visa for China renewed so I'm fine there for some time. I really just want to use the APEC immigration lines at this point, I would spend many hours per year waiting in the normal immigration lines as I travel to at least one of the above countries every week.

and having the China visa within the APEC card later will be very useful also.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by unitedhandcuffs
I really just want to use the APEC immigration lines at this point, I would spend many hours per year waiting in the normal immigration lines as I travel to at least one of the above countries every week.
For what it's worth, I had no issues using my card to skip the lines (both incoming and outgoing) in China with my interim card, without China listed on it. Obviously like you I had a visa in addition to the card.

Same in the US and Canada, although they will never actually be listed on the card as they are transitional members only (ie, you still need a visa/ESTA/ETA to enter)

I wouldn't expect any issues in other countries either.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/MM, Marriott TE, National EE, Global Entry/TSA-Pre, APEC BTC
Sounds good, that's what I'm looking forward to. Btw, I'm US based green card and have global entry so US is no issue for me.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
As of 1 July 2017, the application process for Australians is electronic. This seems to greatly speed up processing. Below is the processing time, per country.

(Wed) Day 0: filed application in Australia.
(Thu) Day 1: Australia approval.
(Fri) Day 2:
Brunei Darussalam
Indonesia

Week 1:
New Zealand
Chile
Malaysia

Week 2:
Philippines
Russia

Week 3:
Hong Kong
Japan
Thailand
Vietnam
Mexico

Week 4:
Peru
Chinese Taipei

Week 5:
China

Week 6:
Korea
Singapore

(A few weeks later, I didn't check very carefully)
Papua New Guinea
CPMaverick likes this.

Last edited by flyerbjorn; Feb 15, 2018 at 2:42 pm
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:14 am

Bringing non APEC card long at expedited immigration counter

Can anyone let me know if I can bring along a non APEC card holder past the expedited APEC lane? I was informed in Malaysia no guest allowed
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by wckh
Can anyone let me know if I can bring along a non APEC card holder past the expedited APEC lane? I was informed in Malaysia no guest allowed
Would think not, as they haven't been vetted.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Some countries might to allow it, but the rule is one card per passenger.

I tried in the US and Malaysia and was denied to bring my family both times. I asked in Singapore (which is already very efficient) and they told me to use the family express line instead.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
In Taiwan they allow card holder, spouse and two children when entering and the same though security and immigration when exiting. They still process you as noktmal, but the queue is non-existent.

i am traveling to SYD soon with family- I am assuming it’s a no-go to bring family though the APEC line when arriving- can anybody confirm? Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Plumber

In Taiwan they allow card holder, spouse and two children when entering and the same though security and immigration when exiting. They still process you as noktmal, but the queue is non-existent.

i am traveling to SYD soon with family- I am assuming it’s a no-go to bring family though the APEC line when arriving- can anybody confirm? Thanks
I haven't actually done this, but when I asked, SYD (exit) immigration said that they are happy to process the whole family at once.

When you travel business class or have higher status with the airline, you typically get an express voucher that you can use for the whole family. That's what we do.
Plumber likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Plumber
I am traveling to SYD soon with family- I am assuming it’s a no-go to bring family though the APEC line when arriving- can anybody confirm?
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
I haven't actually done this, but when I asked, SYD (exit) immigration said that they are happy to process the whole family at once.

When you travel business class or have higher status with the airline, you typically get an express voucher that you can use for the whole family. That's what we do.
Australian Smartgate has made APEC & express vouchers near redundant for many eligible passport holders. I have not used in years and have a bundle in a draw
Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration
Plumber and jules.a like this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Australian Smartgate has made APEC & express vouchers near redundant for many eligible passport holders. I have not used in years and have a bundle in a draw
Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration
For immigration, yes. But for customs, Express Pass can still avoid the queue. However unfortunately ABTC doesn't get you access to the Express Pass customs line...
Plumber and CPMaverick like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: AA , 3MM, CK, Marriott Titanim
I'm sorry for this question but as a current APEC card holder how do I know which countries I am approved for? I looked on the website but could not find it....I ask because above a post talks about processing time for approval by country....

Last edited by pkfinman; Mar 26, 2018 at 8:17 am
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by pkfinman
I'm sorry for this question but as a current APEC card holder how do I know which countries I am approved for? I looked on the website but could not find it....
If USA-based, all of em.
List of APEC Member Countries - Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation - Quizzes, Trivia, Country Facts
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by pkfinman
I'm sorry for this question but as a current APEC card holder how do I know which countries I am approved for? I looked on the website but could not find it....I ask because above a post talks about processing time for approval by country....
It’s printed on the back of the card. Some countries approve quickly, and those are included on the first card you receive. As others trickle in they will issue another card with the full list (unless you are not approved, obviously).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.