Community
Wiki Posts
Search

APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by docbert
For immigration, yes. But for customs, Express Pass can still avoid the queue. However unfortunately ABTC doesn't get you access to the Express Pass customs line...
At SYD airport, the express customs is gone, they just process everyone quicker. I now decline the express voucher. Kids younger than 12 or 16 can't use the smart gates, hence the express line. APEC holders can't use the express line, but they can use the crew/diplomatic line, usually off to the left.

Is that because the USA isn't a full member of APEC? Travellers from full APEC members (all economies except USA & Canada) get a pre-approved business visa, hence the approval step. The usefulness of this obviously varies by country. As an Australian APEC holder, I can travel to China without a visa. For the other countries, I get a visa waivers anyway.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Is that because the USA isn't a full member of APEC? Travellers from full APEC members (all economies except USA & Canada) get a pre-approved business visa, hence the approval step. The usefulness of this obviously varies by country. As an Australian APEC holder, I can travel to China without a visa. For the other countries, I get a visa waivers anyway.
Exactly. The USA gets 'approval' from all countries because APEC is a glorified express line for USA holders. Other countries use APEC as a replacement for an actual visa, so the list isn't as long, but for the countries on it, this is quite a more significant perk.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
If USA-based, all of em.
No, it's exactly the opposite! USA citizens are approved for NONE of the countries.

Not being approved by a country doesn't mean that you can't use the APEC lanes at immigration, it just means that the "visa not required" rules don't apply. (I had no problems using the APEC line in China before I was approved by China - just I needed to have a visa).

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
At SYD airport, the express customs is gone, they just process everyone quicker.
Interesting. It was still there at BNE when I was there about a month ago.
​​
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Exactly. The USA gets 'approval' from all countries because APEC is a glorified express line for USA holders.
No, they get approved by *nobody* That's why their cards are blank on the back and don't list ANY countries on them - as they haven't been approved by anyone.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:54 pm

No, they get approved by *nobody* That's why their cards are blank on the back and don't list ANY countries on them - as they haven't been approved by anyone.
I agree with you that's why I put 'approval' in quotes.

However The USA is a member and therefore got some kind of 'approval', just not visa exemption approvals.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Mar 27, 2018 at 6:03 pm
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:51 am

Hi, has anyone been declined?
I just applied last week and got an email today requesting more info about business activities.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by scorpi00n
Hi, has anyone been declined?
I just applied last week and got an email today requesting more info about business activities.
Where are you based? The criteria to get the APEC card vary by economy.

For Australia, the requirement are roughly to be a executive of a company with significant trade in the APEC region. You can get around the director part by having an executive designate you as their representative. Companies in some top 3000 ranking automatically qualify for the trade clause. If your role is not clear from the application, they ask for more details. I made sure both were obvious from my application for a quick approval.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:33 am

I'm in Australia and have my own compay.
Ive been HK/China atleast once a year in the last 4 years and buy from China often.
​​​​​​
​​​
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by scorpi00n
I'm in Australia and have my own compay.
Ive been HK/China atleast once a year in the last 4 years and buy from China often.
​​​​​​
​​​
I’m not sure that one or two trips per year would qualify as “frequent”, which is a requirement. Try sending previous/future travel itineraries.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:09 pm

IIRC, Australia asks for evidence of at least 4 trips in the last 12 months to any of the APEC economies. Including NZ, US, etc.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Australia can be a bit of a pain, but you probably just need to send them more proof of your business activities. Contracts with clients/suppliers, evidence of meetings/conferences attended, etc. I've honestly never had any issues and have applied for myself and a bunch of other people, but have always provided thorough documentation.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Somewhat unrelated, but the US and Canada issued APEC cards are very different to those issued by other countries. These cards are much easier to get (if you have Global Entry you just need to ask for one and you get it), but they do NOT provide visa-free travel. The only benefit to having one of the US/Canada issued cards is that you can use the APEC line at immigration - but normal visa requirements for the country still apply.
I guess this explains why the "Valid For Travel To:" section is blank on the back of my USA-issued card?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ronlap
I guess this explains why the "Valid For Travel To:" section is blank on the back of my USA-issued card?
Correct. There is an entire thread on the US/CA-issued cards in the Trusted Traveler forum.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:38 pm

It's not true that "if you have Global Entry you just need to ask for one and you get it", you still have to show proof of past or future travel to APEC countries, and explain why you need the card both online and in an additional 'interview'. Yes, it is pretty easy, much easier than other countries, but not automatically granted.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
It's not true that "if you have Global Entry you just need to ask for one and you get it", you still have to show proof of past or future travel to APEC countries, and explain why you need the card both online and in an additional 'interview'. Yes, it is pretty easy, much easier than other countries, but not automatically granted.
True, I gave both recent and upcoming trips at my brief interview.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Australia can be a bit of a pain, but you probably just need to send them more proof of your business activities. Contracts with clients/suppliers, evidence of meetings/conferences attended, etc. I've honestly never had any issues and have applied for myself and a bunch of other people, but have always provided thorough documentation.
Hi,
I have applied 3 weeks ago,

a few days ago, I was requested to provide more evidence of trade- (which was a little strange as I did provide a fair bit already),

Has anyone been rejected/accepted recently this year? seems the thread has gone quiet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.