SYDNEY where to stay?

Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold
SYDNEY where to stay?

As part of my Western Pacific tour I have two days in SYD. I usually book hotels that are connected to an airport mainly for the convenience, but also because I like airports and like to look around. I stumbled across the Rydges Sydney Airport website while searching. Has anyone had experience with this hotel? Thanks.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are better going into the city: its not far
The SYD international terminal is some distance away from the domestic

No reports, but some threads
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...s-may-7-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...tralia-nz.html
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:54 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a significant fee to board or exit public transit (AUD$12.30) from one of the airport stations. This is in addition to the fare. If you stay at this hotel, you will be stuck paying this fee every time you go to or from the hotel to anywhere.

You might be able to buy a 1 week gate pass at a savings, but it is not advertised.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
There is a significant fee to board or exit public transit (AUD$12.30) from one of the airport stations. This is in addition to the fare. If you stay at this hotel, you will be stuck paying this fee every time you go to or from the hotel to anywhere.

You might be able to buy a 1 week gate pass at a savings, but it is not advertised.
Actually if you take the 400 bus from just outside you can avoid the fee and pay significantly less the train and get to Bondi Junction.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:58 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Actually if you take the 400 bus from just outside you can avoid the fee and pay significantly less the train and get to Bondi Junction.
Agreed but this adds both time and complexity.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: QF
Short of flying out from the airport early the next day, there is nothing convenient about hotels around SYD airport.

Getting to / from the City from the airport is very easy, although you do pay a premium. Fine if it's a once only event with your trip, but it'd be a real pain if you're planning on doing it multiple times.

Unless your planning on been on a 6am flight the next day, stay in the CBD.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I usually just get the train to Central ($16.70 single according to my last receipt in May) , having booked a hotel near Central (Haymarket/Thaitown area or lower Surry Hills on the other side) . Even if I have an early flight next day.

Most of these places have shuttle bus stops/pickups too. There's no great advantage or convenience in staying at an "airport hotel" in SYD.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
RYDGES SYDNEY AIRPORT HOTEL
8 Arrival Ct, Sydney International Airport, NSW 2020
(Across from International terminal)
+61 2 9313 2500
[email protected]
Link to property website.

This property can be a decent stay, particularly if departing internationally in the morning. In my case, I flew PER-SYD today, and because of the three hour time change - imagine in the US flying LAS-JFK- and:

I signed up for Rydges Priority Guest Rewards. This gives you a better booking discount (10%) than the other options, and it gets you a food and beverage discount as well. Example for deluxe King - first figure pgr non-member, second member):

Next, I looked at the rates. The "spotter" rate was 20% off and included a $50 food and beverage credit, a deluxe king room on a higher floor with airport views.

Prepaid saver: $198 / $179

Best flexible: $211 / $189

Double down plane spotting*: $219 / $179 (with $50 f&b credit = $129 member)
  • Overnight accommodation in a Deluxe King Room with airport views
  • $50 Food & Beverage Voucher
  • Pair of binoculars for you to keep
  • Plane Spotter info sheet
  • FREE access to our rooftop viewing deck (when available)
  • Late checkout of 1pm
*Come and plane spot in the sun at Rydges Sydney Airport. This package includes a pair of plane spotter binoculars, map of the airport, a late check out of 1pm and a $50 F&B credit to use at our Blackwattle Grill or Touchdown Sports Bar during your stay with us..

(No, I didn't ask for what are undoubtedly crap binocs.)

I then printed out the TBus voucher - present it at the Terminal 2 or Terminal 1 bus stop and it's good for the $6.00 ride on TBus. (Earlier and later in the day, they have a half-hourly shuttle to fetch you from or take you to the domestic terminals - between the TBus and shuttles, you have free transport to or from domestic 5:00 am to 22:45 / 10:45 pm. (It's under 100 yards to international check-in.)

Upon arrival, I got a complimentary one drink chit for the bar, my key card and instructions. The key card is a "touch" card - bringing the card in close proximity to the reader works. It is required for the lift / elevator as well as for your room; in the room, you must slot it in the activator near your door to enable lights, heat or air conditioning.

The room was comfortable and functional. It feels somewhat Spartan, yet has what you need for an overnight. A plane spotter - well, it was rainy with some midfield haze or fog, so forget that. On a good day, you'll be able to spot, but decent photography is out of the question with the windows! and mornings due to the airport being back lighted in the morning (afternoons, weather permitting, there is a rooftop terrace you can use). With the food and beverage credit, who cares?

The bath is like an open short corridor with an open shower at the end, with a curtain to close it off from the main bathroom area, preceded by an opaque glass door to the toilet. These are across from the sink, which is separated from your bedroom by a partition. On the other side of the partition is a mini bar, three small drawers and a small closet space with safe and ironing set. (The bathroom is provided with toweling and "sanctum" amenities. For Americans, there are no wash cloths.)

The bed is comfortable, with a fairly firm mattress and several pillows, flanked by drawerless night stands with small lamps. One is equipped with a Philips clock radio with iPhone / iPod connectors, the other with a phone. There's a basic desk with one drawer, lamp and power outlets for Australian slant blade plugs and a universal plug that will accept most other plugs.

A teal bucket chair and ottoman, small drum table and large flat screen Telly pretty much finish out the furnishings. There is good if somewhat harsh ceiling lighting, and though it is Spartan there's everything you need. There's in room dining and in room massage available as well.

Free WiFi is included, and I've got a pretty decent connection. Ookla tested: ping, 3 Ms; download 18.32 Mbps, upload 11.36 Mbps. (But this morning I had a strong wifi signal but very limited to no Intrrnet connection for about an hour.)

Though the restaurant and lobby are very noisy due to "hard" sound reflective walls, the rooms are decently insulated (though I can hear when the aircraft are powering up for departure, it's not loud).

Note some issues: if you use a credit card Rydges accepts, as typical in Australia, you will pay a 1.5% extra for using your card - unless you use a Diners or American Express card, in which case you'll pay 3.5%, iirc.

Now I'll check in and get brekkies in the Qantas First lounge restaurant prior to boarding AA 72 to LAX.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 22, 2015 at 2:44 pm Reason: Finish up
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Property is about 5 minutes walk to the international departure area. Nice hotel but just an airport hotel, although it has nice new facilities. My room was very small but for one night it was fine. Best thing about the hotel is the location.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Property is about 5 minutes walk to the international departure area. Nice hotel but just an airport hotel, although it has nice new facilities. My room was very small but for one night it was fine. Best thing about the hotel is the location.
As someone who doesn't have lounge access - the buffet breakfast at the Rydges is amazing and well worth filling up there before heading over to check in.

Rooms were nice and new, adequate space for myself for one night. Good water pressure in the shower.

And as everyone else has said - it's an easy short walk over to international check in.

Also has a free shuttle bus to/from domestic.

Would highly recommend for those with an overnight transit in Sydney or those in the Greater Sydney/NSW area that are wanting somewhere to stay before a morning departure or late evening arrival.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I've stayed at other airport hotels and had trouble getting a taxi as they would not go such a short distance. Rydges at the Airport means no taxi is required for International departures.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:57 pm

Hilton or Marriott in Sydney?

Which one of these, Hilton or one of the Marriott properties, would be the easiest to access to/from the airport?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Which one of these, Hilton or one of the Marriott properties, would be the easiest to access to/from the airport?
Via what transport?

Via taxi both will be about the same distance/time/cost depending on the time of day.

Via train, both are a few hundred meters from the nearest train station, and in both cases they are in the line directly from the airport.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
Via what transport?

Via taxi both will be about the same distance/time/cost depending on the time of day.

Via train, both are a few hundred meters from the nearest train station, and in both cases they are in the line directly from the airport.
I'll only have a small carry on bag, so whichever form of transport is easy. It really doesn't matter so much to me. I'll want to pay via CC.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:16 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Marriott has a harbour/opera house view from some rooms and the suites in the top 2 floors are great (the rest of the hotel is competitive with the Hilton but not with its neighbours); about 5 min easy walk from wynyard station. I'd say the circular quay location gives it the edge over Hilton which is more of a business hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.