Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYDNEY where to eat?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA - Gold, EK - Gold
Sydney- where to eat?

Going to be in Sydney a lot over the next half a year.

Looking for good recommendations of places to eat.

Can and and will travel around. Looking for a variety breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Cheap local, less cheap more special and a couple of higher end ones when I feel like I want to celebrate.

I normally stay either next to darling harbour, or if I am there longer I will rent a place in Surry Hills.

So throw your recommendations down.

The notable places I have visited already are:

Mr Wong’s
Farmhouse, Kings Cross
Aqua

Also good quick places to eat when I am in a rush at night near why I am staying in Darling Harbour would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:31 pm

Steam Mill Lane has some new openings which are quite good.
There is also Chinatown which is nearby so nice quick and easy Chinese food (and Thaitown and Koreatown right by there as well).
As for more of the event places:
Kid Kyoto
Toko (Surry Hills)
Café Sydney
Aria
Felix
Claire's Kitchen
Fred's
St Peter
Hubert
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:55 pm

Make sure you get to Billy Kwong before it closes down.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thatflyer
Going to be in Sydney a lot over the next half a year.

Looking for good recommendations of places to eat.
<snip>
Master thread where this thread may/will get merged--->SYDNEY where to eat?

If you are in SYD at the end of May welcome to come to Oz Fest 16. Some locals may attend a few activities (mainly meals/drinks)
Link--->Oz Fest 16 Sydney, NSW, Australia. USA Memorial Day Weekend May 24 to May 26, 2019
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Loluk (Darlinghurst)
http://www.lolukbistro.com.au/
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Great spot! ^

Chin Chin is pretty good too, although it's probably not a great solo dining option and can feel a bit like you're eating in a nightclub. I'd suggest for quick meals at night the local pub will be the best option.
BadgerBoi and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by bensyd
Great spot! ^

Chin Chin is pretty good too, although it's probably not a great solo dining option and can feel a bit like you're eating in a nightclub. I'd suggest for quick meals at night the local pub will be the best option.
Loluk can be a bit noisy if you sit inside, outside at the back is nice and one of the two tables at the front is good for people watching. I've never eaten there alone but I'd feel comfortable doing so.

When I'm solo I'll usually pick a pub, rare to get a bad meal in any pub in Sydney.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I'm solo I'll usually pick a pub, rare to get a bad meal in any pub in Sydney.
Agree. And the move has been noticeably away from expensive menus to much cheaper "pub" food, which I think is a positive.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Loluk can be a bit noisy if you sit inside, outside at the back is nice and one of the two tables at the front is good for people watching. I've never eaten there alone but I'd feel comfortable doing so.

Spent the last week having afternoon / early evening drinks at the Pyrmont Bridge Hotel.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:03 am

I’ve been away for a while and the first places we’ll visit are Botanist in kirribilli, Hojiak in Haymarket and Archie rose in Rosebery(not exactly a restaurant but they do have food and black star and Messina are next door). They’re not the best places in Sydney but after being away for a while they’re the places we’re most craving. Being north shore based I’ll also say Rice Den in St Leonards, Yang and co in Willoughby and Annata in Crows Nest (particularly Monday night)
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
High End:

- The Bridge Room
- Restaurant Hubert
- Pendolino
- Nomad (Surry Hills)

Casual but slightly pricier (bistro type)
- Bopp & Tone
- Bacco
- District Brasserie
- Bambini Trust
- Chefs Gallery

Breakfast and cheap places
- Mamak (Chinatown Malay food)
- Bambini Trust
- Grounds of the City
- Alice’s Makan

Up until December I used to work in Surry Hills so I have a special Surry Hills list:

- Suzuya (cheap big portions but quality Japanese)
- Pasta Emilia (hand made pasta trattoria)
- Nomad (see above)
- Reuben Hills (modern brunch i.e. notch above just eggs on toast)
- Paramount Coffee Project (modern brunch)
- Cuckoo Callay (modern brunch)
- Dove and Olive (good pub grub)
- Bourke Street Bakery (wonderful pies and sausage rolls)

I’ll probably add to this list as I’m on a bus.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I regularly recommend The Australian Hotel at the rocks. It's right at the foot of the stairs to the main deck of the harbour bridge so if you feel like a bit of a walk catch the train (or walk) to Milsons Point and walk over the main deck (maybe 30 mins max). Then on the city side at the foot of the stairs in the Australian Hotel. Scharers Lager is a fantastic beer and they serve a bunch of trendy pizzas including crocodile, kangaroo and emu. Of course when you order the crocodile pizza you're obliged to add "and make it snappy!". They also have an incredible range of bottled beers from around the world. Mid week lunches often need a booking if you want to sit outside (particularly Fridays).
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydunipete
I regularly recommend The Australian Hotel at the rocks. It's right at the foot of the stairs to the main deck of the harbour bridge so if you feel like a bit of a walk catch the train (or walk) to Milsons Point and walk over the main deck (maybe 30 mins max). Then on the city side at the foot of the stairs in the Australian Hotel. Scharers Lager is a fantastic beer and they serve a bunch of trendy pizzas including crocodile, kangaroo and emu. Of course when you order the crocodile pizza you're obliged to add "and make it snappy!". They also have an incredible range of bottled beers from around the world. Mid week lunches often need a booking if you want to sit outside (particularly Fridays).
What's your association with The Australian?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:57 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Bill's on Crown St in Surry Hill is quite good.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by number_6
Bill's on Crown St in Surry Hill is quite good.
There’s better in Surry Hills.

Bridge Room is closing at the end of April.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.