Wiki Posts
Search

SYDNEY where to eat?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2016, 4:41 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by whimsey21
Hi all,
I'm bumping this thread; its a great read, but I'm looking for something slightly different than the previous posters. I'll be visiting Sydney for the first time next week with my family, staying in the CBD (Sheraton and Radisson) and am hoping to identify some solid dining options. While many of the restaurants mentioned in the last few years of this thread sound amazing, I'm hoping to find something that is not a fixed/degustation menu (my kids don't eat enough to make those worth it), is "mid-priced" (ie:<$40 for a main) and is reasonably casual (since I'll be dressed like an exhausted tourist). I'm open to all types of food, though I'd downplay thai and chinese, since we'll be passing through Thailand and China on this trip as well. Ideally walkable or easy public transport from my hotels. Any thoughts on places that fit the bill and have reliably good food?
thanks!
No 1 Bent St which is the next street across from Radisson. Owner is former head chef at Rockpool.

If you're willing to train to Kings Cross there's more options there.

Fratelli is also good at that price point. There's a couple in the city including 1 opposite Parliament House.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
No 1 Bent St which is the next street across from Radisson. Owner is former head chef at Rockpool.

If you're willing to train to Kings Cross there's more options there.

Fratelli is also good at that price point. There's a couple in the city including 1 opposite Parliament House.
Fratelli Paradiso was the first thing that came into my head.

Lucio's in Darlinghurst is also not a bad option if you've got kids. Best pizza in Sydney.

Don't underestimate pub food either. Especially with the trend these days of many pubs becoming more like restaurants with bars.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by bensyd
Fratelli Paradiso was the first thing that came into my head.

Lucio's in Darlinghurst is also not a bad option if you've got kids. Best pizza in Sydney.

Don't underestimate pub food either. Especially with the trend these days of many pubs becoming more like restaurants with bars.
Pub type looks are becoming trendy as you say.

Just ate at the Paddington on Oxford Street. Was very nice and reasonably priced. We had a banquet for about 14 of us and there was so much food.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lif...f3198db39e3489
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Thanks much- those sound like great suggestions. I'm happy to try the pubs, and take public transportation anywhere in the area if any others come to mind.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Crown St in Surry Hills which is walkable from the city has plenty of restaurants/pubs at all price levels.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
For a casual pub, with a bit of all round atmosphere, husband and I like The Orient in The Rocks. Built in 1844 its a great example of pubs us Aussies like. The food is ok. Not spectacular but you won't whine about it! I'm recommending it for the ambience.

http://www.orienthotel.com.au/
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Crown St in Surry Hills which is walkable from the city has plenty of restaurants/pubs at all price levels.
I ate at Cossie's in Crown St tonight, funny you should mention the area.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I ate at Quay a few days ago with four other people. We all agreed it was one of the most disappointing meals we had ever had. We had the tasting menu and with the exception of the carrot and feta dish I was totally underwhelmed. The food was a mix between underseasoned and totally flavourless or just too many things on the plate and it being a mish mosh. The uni in the umami broth was almost inedible. It just tasted all wrong, and I'll eat pretty much anything. I only finished it because I wasn't paying the bill. There was lobster with XO sauce, and all you could taste was the xo sauce. I love XO sauce, but at $235/head I'd expect something more than what I could get at Golden Century at 2am. Why bother with something as delicate in flavour as lobster when you're going to drown it in XO sauce?

The view is spectacular and the wine list and our sommelier were excellent, but to say its overpriced would be being kind. I'd eaten at Quay years ago and it was very good, I don't know what's changed but it's not a change for the better.

I have no idea how this place still has three hats.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
One of our favourite restaurants in the Sydney CBD when visiting family is Mykonos.Really good Greek food.Always popular and bookings recommended.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
We've been thinking of the Lord Nelson on our next trip to SYD. Would one classify it as a "pub" or something higher?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by BH62
We've been thinking of the Lord Nelson on our next trip to SYD. Would one classify it as a "pub" or something higher?
it's a pub
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
it's a pub
There's a restaurant upstairs though.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:33 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Pub food in oz is waaaaay better than pub food in UK or US. Almost always reliably good, even in remote pubs in country towns. Some sydney pubs would be called bistros in NYC and cost a lot more. Great value if you stick to their mainstream fare (chicken parma and fish&chips).
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:44 pm

There's a restaurant upstairs though.
granted, but it's having itself on if it thinks it's really not just a pub. Nicely done out though.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
granted, but it's having itself on if it thinks it's really not just a pub. Nicely done out though.
Totally. The menu looks pretty average. It's $13.50 for a pie and peas with mash and gravy in the bar. Why would you go any further than that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.