SYDNEY where to eat?

Old May 28, 19, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
Does anything say passé like deconstructed anything?
I hate anything deconstructed or hipster. Deconstructed pavlova... what the heck!
Old Jun 18, 19, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
There's a chain called Biang Biang selling biang biang noodles. I thought it was just one restaurant but apparently they're opening them up all over Sydney. Anyway, it's seriously worth trying. I just hope that now that they're expanding they don't become like O'Porto's when they started expanding and the quality fell through the floor.

https://www.goodfood.com.au/xian-bia...0190618-h1fhnb
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
There's a chain called Biang Biang selling biang biang noodles. I thought it was just one restaurant but apparently they're opening them up all over Sydney. Anyway, it's seriously worth trying. I just hope that now that they're expanding they don't become like O'Porto's when they started expanding and the quality fell through the floor.

https://www.goodfood.com.au/xian-bia...0190618-h1fhnb
If you like Biang Biang I think you'll also like the char kway teow at Hojiak (across from paddy's) or pretty much anything at Spicy joint (harbourside plaza)

For steak I'm on the Bistecca bandwagon now, in many ways its the italian answer to Hubert and I'm hard pressed to pick between the two. And its around the corner from Double Duece which gives old mates place a good run for its money as best bar in Sydney if you like your bars more irreverent than super refined
Old Jul 24, 19, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Ellie Taylor View Post
Elementsbarandgrill is a best steakhouse in Sydney which is famous for it's quality and tasty steaks. You have to visit here at least one time.
Looks & sounds good. Will give it a go when I’m back in a few weeks
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:35 am

Two places we tried and liked:

Paddington Alimentari (no website)
https://www.broadsheet.com.au/sydney...ton-alimentari

Bōrn
https://www.tapavinobarangaroo.com/
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
Two places we tried and liked:

Paddington Alimentari (no website)
https://www.broadsheet.com.au/sydney...ton-alimentari
When I was a kid, Alimentari was JA Bonaventura, a delicatessan. A few of us kids on bikes used to go in there on Saturdays and Joe would make us a mortadella roll, wrapped in butcher's paper on great fresh bread for the princely sum of $1.60.

It's a bit more pricey these days!
Old Sep 11, 19, 6:02 am

Ahh, the “good old days”.

Another interesting/weird experience we had was when our waiter at Bōrn told us about a New Orleans influenced restaurant a few blocks down Barangaroo called NOLA (our shorthand for New Orleans, Louisiana). Out of curiosity, we went for dinner that night. Amazingly, they had an Abita Beer on the menu, which is a local craft beer from our area. Food was decent. Lots of New Orleans music was played. Noise level was pretty high.

If that wasn’t strange enough, while we were in Adelaide, someone took us to another restaurant named NOLA, which is totally unrelated to the one in Sydney. It was another kinda, sorta New Orleans inspired restaurant. One of their menu items was a Cajun Sweet Potato Po’Boy, “The classic New Orleans sandwich “. I can assure that no Cajun would be caught eating such a sandwich, if it even existed. And, it’s definitely not a New Orleans classic. We looked around the place, but didn’t eat there.

We thought it was quite ironic and amusing that there were two totally unrelated restaurants in two different cities, named NOLA. It certainly added a little highlight to our trip.
Old Sep 11, 19, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
Ahh, the “good old days”.

Another interesting/weird experience we had was when our waiter at Bōrn told us about a New Orleans influenced restaurant a few blocks down Barangaroo called NOLA (our shorthand for New Orleans, Louisiana). Out of curiosity, we went for dinner that night. Amazingly, they had an Abita Beer on the menu, which is a local craft beer from our area. Food was decent. Lots of New Orleans music was played. Noise level was pretty high.

If that wasn’t strange enough, while we were in Adelaide, someone took us to another restaurant named NOLA, which is totally unrelated to the one in Sydney. It was another kinda, sorta New Orleans inspired restaurant. One of their menu items was a Cajun Sweet Potato Po’Boy, “The classic New Orleans sandwich “. I can assure that no Cajun would be caught eating such a sandwich, if it even existed. And, it’s definitely not a New Orleans classic. We looked around the place, but didn’t eat there.

We thought it was quite ironic and amusing that there were two totally unrelated restaurants in two different cities, named NOLA. It certainly added a little highlight to our trip.
The NOLA in Adelaide has some great craft beers, it’s a usual stop for me
Old Sep 11, 19, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
The NOLA in Adelaide has some great craft beers, it’s a usual stop for me
Next time you’re there, look for the Abita Beer neon sign on the wall on the right side of the bar. I asked the bartender if they had Abita and he said no because it was too hard to import. They only had the sign.

Interesting that the NOLA in Sydney had Abita beer, though.

We didn’t try any beer while we were in Australia. We’re primarily gin and wine drinkers. Brought two cases of wine back with us.
kirkwoodj likes this.

Search this Thread