Wiki Posts
Search

SYDNEY where to eat?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:43 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by diningdecadence
and finally - do be sure to grab a scoop or 2 at gelato messina - outlets around sydney - always some funky flavours going on.....
Messina is a great example of success of Facebook marekting and listening to customers -- many of the flavours are customer suggested. The gelato quality is just ok -- not bad but doesn't make the 5 best list -- yet it has huge lines (it can take an hour in line to get your scoop, of course that is also socializing time). Great business model, use the sidewalk as an asset and Facebook for your marketing cost.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
Any suggestions on fast casual restaurants where you can order and eat without server?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by tennislover9
Any suggestions on fast casual restaurants where you can order and eat without server?
Fast casual isn't really a thing in Australia, and if you're worried about tipping not an issue. Food courts could be the way to go if you want something fast but not like a McDonalds or Burger King.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by tennislover9
A pub? You'll order and pay at the bar someone will bring the food to you or in some pubs they'll give you a beeper and you go and collect the food yourself. Absolutely no need to tip.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:36 pm

Anywhere that does a pho/laksa/ramen would classify as fast casual, as would most pubs and cafes I would have thought. As an example we've got someone over from our Tokyo office atm and I did a bit of a walk around the area they're staying in (chatswood) and pointed to around 50 places where they could grab a quick, easy, cheap dinner at night which would qualify as fast casual I would think. A bit more info on types of food or specific location would be helpful as 'fast/casual' can be very local specific so if I named 20 places in crows nest thats not going to be very helpful for someone staying in the city.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:45 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Anyone tried william blue at the rocks? Is it worth going if I only have time for one meal in Sydney?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by jix
Anyone tried william blue at the rocks? Is it worth going if I only have time for one meal in Sydney?
Never heard of it. Just googled it. Interesting.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by jix
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Never heard of it. Just googled it. Interesting.
Indeed. Might have a look when I'm back in a few weeks...
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:43 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Bargain as price is very low as only has to cover ingredient and premises cost, all the labour is "free". Only downside is meals can take a very long time if the kitchen gets flusterred -- so make sure you aren't on a tight schedule. Location is fantastic (this was the original Rockpool and cost 5x as much). CIA in NY is similar (but not quite as good food).
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:55 pm
jix

What is the area around Sheraton/Westin like at night? Will there still be places to eat during the late night hours that's walkable?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by jix
What is the area around Sheraton/Westin like at night? Will there still be places to eat during the late night hours that's walkable?
What's late?

It also depends on what day of the week.

The places that are past midnight late are probably limited to Chinatown which is walkable but a dreary walk from both hotels (15 mins)

There's stuff in the Ivy and some bars near Angel Place (near Westin). Sheraton on the Park - not really
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: points traveller
Originally Posted by jix
when is late, and what type of food are you talking?

westin - frankie's pizza is 5 mins away, and plenty of bars in the area

SotP - Mary's is open til 10pm, food court in westfield would stay open on a thursday night (e.g. chat thai).

else as Jclasstraveller has mentioned - head to chinatown - cab/uber if needs be.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by jix
William Blue is great. It's in an easy to find location short walk from Circular Quay. Food is of high standard, but being a student run restaurant (with good supervision) is at fair prices. It would be high on my list if I was in Sydney for just one day. But it's not open every day, so check availability and reservations.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:41 am
jix

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
What's late?

It also depends on what day of the week.
Sunday, 11pm onwards to 2am in the morning of Monday.

I'm ok with walking 15 minutes to Chinatown, but is it safe?

Also I assume the subway doesn't run during that time right? So the only other choice is uber/taxi?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by jix
Sunday, 11pm onwards to 2am in the morning of Monday.

I'm ok with walking 15 minutes to Chinatown, but is it safe?

Also I assume the subway doesn't run during that time right? So the only other choice is uber/taxi?
Totally safe. Most of inner-Sydney is very safe. You can walk around at all hours with worrying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.