Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:41 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by boybi
My MNL-SYD flight will arrive 6:30AM and my flight to MEL will depart at 8:35AM. Is 2hrs enough to connect to my MEL flight? Will I have ample time to get tested at the airport?
Just noticed that my SYD-MEL flight QF425 was moved to 11:30AM departure. I wasn't informed through email or sms.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just noticed that my SYD-MEL flight QF425 was moved to 11:30AM departure. I wasn't informed through email or sms.
What date are you flying? QF425 still seems to be scheduled for around 8:30am on the dates I checked. Or are you saying that you were moved to a different QF flight number at 11:30am?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:26 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
QF may have proactively moved to a later domestic flight given lateness of inbound and slowness of transferring.

I have a future booking for NZ to SYD to MEL which I had booked with 3 hour connection. The other day they moved it to a 5 hour connection. I asked for it to be put back and they switched to 1 hour connection. I again asked for it to be put back and was eventually put back on my original flight. All the SYD-MEL flights were wide open with availability (including sale booking classes). This was for a trip in 6 weeks so not as if they know for sure the inbound flight will be late that far out.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
QF may have proactively moved to a later domestic flight given lateness of inbound and slowness of transferring.
Qantas and proactive don't belong in the same sentence.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
What date are you flying? QF425 still seems to be scheduled for around 8:30am on the dates I checked. Or are you saying that you were moved to a different QF flight number at 11:30am?
August 2, still QF425 in my Qantas app, but different time.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
August 2, still QF425 in my Qantas app, but different time.
That is odd. Looks like from the 18th of July until the end of August they have moved it to the later time. From September 1 it's back to 8:45am.

Clearly nothing to do with your specific itinerary. If you called I'm sure they'll be happy to move it back to an earlier flight. QF427 would be the obvious choice (9am, giving you 2h30m) or QF431 (9:30am) if you want a little more time.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
That is odd. Looks like from the 18th of July until the end of August they have moved it to the later time. From September 1 it's back to 8:45am.

Clearly nothing to do with your specific itinerary. If you called I'm sure they'll be happy to move it back to an earlier flight. QF427 would be the obvious choice (9am, giving you 2h30m) or QF431 (9:30am) if you want a little more time.
I'll just stick to the 11:30AM departure. I am connecting from an international flight, and from previous replies in this thread, this will give me ample time to connect.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:39 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by bensyd
Qantas and proactive don't belong in the same sentence.
Normally I'd agree but the booking I referred has had another change of flights after my previous post. Still all flights showing availability so no obvious reason I've been moved around so much.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:43 am

I'll just stick to the 11:30AM departure. I am connecting from an international flight, and from previous replies in this thread, this will give me ample time to connect.
Pre-pandemic the staff at the Qantas transfer area in the international terminal were very accommodating with flight changes. I don't know if that's still the case, but when you get there if you've got plenty of time and want to jump on an earlier flight don't hesitate to ask and there's a good chance they will do it (just be sure to ask before they take your checked bags).
whughes3 and boybi like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:30 am

Baggage

I’m flying with Qantas from Jakarta to Sydney and then Sydney to Melbourne. Do I need to get my baggages when transferring in Sydney?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:19 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Rickel Sefia
I’m flying with Qantas from Jakarta to Sydney and then Sydney to Melbourne. Do I need to get my baggages when transferring in Sydney?
Yes.

You will clear customs in Sydney after collecting your bags.

You can then recheck them at the Qantas transit counter after exiting customs before making your way to the domestic terminal.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rickel Sefia
As SYD is your port of entry to AU you must clear immigration, customs & bio security with all your carry on & checked bags. After immigration, you collect bags and then process customs. Exiting the immigration-customs-bio security area walk to the right to the QF T1 domestic check in-bag drop area. Then the bus to T3 for your flight to MEL.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From QF newsroom 01 Jul 2022 -->QANTAS AND JETSTAR GEAR UP FOR NSW, WA AND ACT SCHOOL HOLIDAYS
<snip>
As international travel continues to pick up, Qantas has resumed direct transfers for customers arriving off international flights at Sydney Airport and connecting to domestic flights. This means customers can check in and be security screened for their domestic flight in the international terminal and be transferred by bus across the tarmac to the domestic terminal. Each day up to 1600 customers (and their bags) will use the service making it easier and faster to connect to their domestic flights and help ease congestion in the domestic terminal.
<snip>
superboi likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Will the SkyTeam lounge ever reopen here? I thought it had undergone a renovation, but can't find any details about it online. Are there plans for the reopening?
Old Jul 28, 2022, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For information. From thread--> OLCI for trans-Tasman
Originally Posted by mad_atta
In case anyone’s interested in peak hour queueing times at SYD (international) at the moment, my experience today (flying Y) was:
7:01am - disembark airport train
7:07am - join immigration queue (which was being stopped regularly due to security queues backing up)
7:20am - join security queue, which was moving slowly but steadily
8:25am - clear security

The first/biz security line seemed to be working well and flowing fairly freely - I’m guessing that was more like a 15min wait.

For people whose boarding time was imminent, it was hard to see how they were handling pulling people out into the express line - lots of confusion and people being stuck miles away in the looping security line so missing the chance to be fast tracked.

Our scheduled 9.40am flight was delayed about 15mins due to waiting for late passengers so not too bad… by current standards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.