Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2022, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
Just to report back. Got if the place 640am, got to the domestic terminal 700am. There was a short line for the smart gate. No checked bag. Got to Tbus just before it left, there was already one parked behind it.

Didn't help much as JQ doesn't allow bag drop til 2hrs prior so I had a 2hr wait.

My flight was 30 min early today, yesterday it was an hour late. So still best to have ample time
Thanks for the report. A quick transfer
Early/late flights just part of the risk. https://www.sydney-airport.net/syd-arrivals-terminal-1

Enjoy your time in AU.
Old May 15, 2022, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Updated information on VA T1 to T3 transfer

From the UA - VA thread
Originally Posted by prestonh
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
That is interesting. Am sure that is change on the VA web site. Had the T-Bus before. They may have reopened that desk.
VA only have international flights to Fiji. ZQN (New Zealand) may restart later in the year.
But with AU open will be getting more pax from DL and UA.

The file date on the SYD T1 map is 17 Jan 2020 (before CV19). And dated on lower right hand corner in small text.
Originally Posted by docbert
Looks like this was re-added in the past few weeks.
web.archive.org has a copy of the VA page from April 27, and whilst it doesn't display it properly if you look at the page source it shows the old instructions of taking your bags to the T-bus and then re-checking them in Terminal 2 (domestic).

So sometime between April 27 and today they must have re-opened the transfer desk at the international terminal.

They haven't restarted their own bus, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they never do. When they first started running that bus there was no free bus between terminals. Now there is, I could see them considering that as a viable answer - although it's annoying as it's literally at the opposite end of the International terminal as their transfer area.
VA link-->At the airport -Transfer maps
Sydney International to Domestic
1 On arrival, collect your bags from the carousel and clear customs and quarantine.

2 Follow the signs to the Virgin Australia transfer desk, located in the Arrivals Hall. Here, you can check-in for your Virgin Australia domestic flight and drop your baggage.

3 Make your way to the exit, following the marked signs to the T-Bus pick-up point, located opposite exit A. Proceed on the T-Bus to the domestic terminal (T2).

4 Once you arrive at the domestic terminal, head to bag drop before making your way to your departure gate.
Hours of operation not stated. So unknown if only for arriving VA International flights, VA partner flights or all the time.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 15, 2022 at 9:29 pm
Old May 17, 2022, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Are US-bound flights subjected to water bottle confiscation at the gate like in some other countries? Or has that stopped? Sometimes, they check manually every bag to take away bottles over 100ml even if purchased in the airport.
Old May 25, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: AC SE
Can someone tell me whether there is currently any international departures lounge access for people travelling in business class on a Star Alliance airline (Air Canada in my case) and/or who have Star Alliance Gold?
Old May 25, 2022, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Can someone tell me whether there is currently any international departures lounge access for people travelling in business class on a Star Alliance airline (Air Canada in my case) and/or who have Star Alliance Gold?
AC should direct you to a lounge as travelling in business class.
SQ lounge is open. Check if open when your AC flight departs
https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/inf...ine-lounges-t1
https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder
Air NZ lounge may be closed---->https://www.airnewzealand.com.au/int...rmation#sydney
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 5:37 pm

Programs: QF, CX, BA
Originally Posted by firstclassnewbie
Does anyone have any idea when Fast Track is scheduled to re-open in Sydney, please?
Just wanting to bump this Q as it doesn't seem to have been answered - anyone have any ideas?
Old May 25, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Reports are that it reopened a few days ago.
Old May 25, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Originally Posted by mitellic
Just wanting to bump this Q as it doesn't seem to have been answered - anyone have any ideas?
Express path was still closed yesterday (25/5).
mitellic likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Still closed today at 1pm.
mitellic likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 6:05 pm

Even with no Express path, note that all the Smartgate kiosks are now operational which speeds things quite a lot; I got through in < 10 mins at a fairly busy time, a big improvement over my previous experience.
mitellic likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by whughes3
Even with no Express path, note that all the Smartgate kiosks are now operational which speeds things quite a lot; I got through in < 10 mins at a fairly busy time, a big improvement over my previous experience.
Today it was about 10 min from plane door to the train to the city but I had no checked bags
Old May 27, 2022, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
Today it was about 10 min from plane door to the train to the city but I had no checked bags
I was actually referring to departures, which I omitted to make clear.I will see if arrivals are behaving similarly next week!
Old May 29, 2022, 5:03 am

Programs: AC SE
I will be arriving at SYD with 6 people and need to get to the CBD. This will be during the time of the morning when all the international flights arrive. It looks like a taxi will be cheaper than getting 6 people on the train. My question is: Will there be 6-passenger vehicles available and waiting at the airport or will I need to pre-book that? Does anyone know?
Old May 29, 2022, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
I will be arriving at SYD with 6 people and need to get to the CBD. This will be during the time of the morning when all the international flights arrive. It looks like a taxi will be cheaper than getting 6 people on the train. My question is: Will there be 6-passenger vehicles available and waiting at the airport or will I need to pre-book that? Does anyone know?
No need to pre-book. Just tell the marshals at the taxi rank what you need and they'll sort you out.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As some other posts, getting on a T1 to T2/T3 bus at peak times can be/will be an issue.
For information from United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I did SFO-SYD-MEL last week on UA/VA single ticket.
Immigration at SYD was a breeze, but luggage took awhile. Once clearning custom before exit door, there is a door on the left that connects you to the VA transfer desk. Look out for the sign.

Transfer, rechecking the bag (single luggage tag issued by UA), and issuing the boarding pass took less than 5 min.
The longest wait is the bus from T3 to T1. There were mutiple flights arriving during early morning, so the line was long, I got onto the third bus after I got into the waitling line. The buses were crowded and luggages were stored on the seats and between seats, so made it hard to get out of bus if you were stuck in the back. The buses were packed because many passengers were desparate to get to their connecting fights.

Once I was in the VA lounge, nice flat white and full breakfast made me forgetting the unpleasant bus ride quickly.
It would be a much pleasant experience if the inter-terminal bus transfer can be improved.

I budged 3 hours for the transit, and glad I did not take the VA agent's offer to get on an earlier flight (an hour earlier), I needed the extra time for waiting for the bus, and clear security at the domestic terminal. A 40-min relaxing visit in the VA lounge with great coffee is a nice break after a long 15-hour flight. It would be even nicer if the showers were working at the VA lounge.
From Domestic to international connection time in SYD - only 70 mins??
Originally Posted by lachlans
From T3 to T1 is about the same as pre CV19. QF bus leaves from QF T3 gate 15. Going the other way T1 to T3 is different (now seamless lite)
If your ADL flight is about on time should be OK. An earlier flight would lessen the risk
Thanks. Have not done this transfer since the before times, so good to know it has not changed. I did the reverse a few weeks ago (international to domestic) and missed my connection despite an on time arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.