Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by jayoxd
So the baggage situation might be good. It says JFK as the destination on the tag but the check in agent said it would only go to Sydney.

I'm currently on hold on the phone with Qantas waiting to confirm...

As for me, I'm stranded without a BP because the no one is at the transfer desk for Etihad and the gate opens an hour prior (for me to get a BP / I can't exit since I don't have a Visa though my mom [with the checked luggaged] does have a Visa. Thankfully the Amex lounge let me in as an arrival lounge so I'm not completely stranded.

Miserable experience before flying in the apartments.
Should go to JFK no issue.

Are you a national of an ETA country? If so, why not quickly apply for an ETA? They usually get processed instantly and you can do it on your phone.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jayoxd
So the baggage situation might be good. It says JFK as the destination on the tag but the check in agent said it would only go to Sydney.
JFK? I thought you were going to IAD?

The fact you're going through AUH also means that US pre-clearance comes into play. I don't know how they do this in AUH for connecting passengers, but if it's the same as at YVR then you won't need to collect your bags there, however you will need to wait at until the bags are delivered to US CBP before you can proceed through US immigration at AUH. Once you land in the US you're a domestic passenger, so no need to collect them there either if you're continuing on and the bags are correctly tagged.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:14 am

Hi there

Could you please offer advice on this I-I at Sydney International? I’m looking to understand whether I can use airside transit or need to proceed through immigration and customs and clear security landside to get to the second departure gate.

Flight 1: Abu Dhabi to Sydney (EY454) arriving 19:35
Flight 2: Sydney to Haneda (NH880) departing 21:30

I am an Australian citizen travelling on an Australian passport. I will have no checked baggage. These are 2 separate bookings/tickets. I will be using an online check in mobile boarding pass for flight 2 to Haneda.

I am awaiting a reply from ANA for their advice but thought I’d check here also.

The simpler way would be to do Abu Dhabi to Haneda but, alas, this option is not available to me as one flight is business related and one is personal.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DS01
Flight 1: Abu Dhabi to Sydney (EY454) arriving 19:35
Flight 2: Sydney to Haneda (NH880) departing 21:30
That's one crazy routing - over 12,000 miles in flight to cover a distance of 5,000 miles. Plus a relatively short connection for separate tickets (no issues if your inbound is on time, but if it's late you could be at risk)

Yes, you can stay airside. If you want you should be able to collect a boarding pass for the HND flight from the transfer desk, but given you'll be checking in online there shouldn't be a need. You will need to clear security in Sydney, but that's all.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I have a SIN-SYD-AKL ticket (same PNR), transferring via Sydney overnight (arriving 9 pm, departing 6 am). Flights are on SQ and NZ airlines.

What it if I want to throwaway/give-up the Sydney to Aukland part so I can stay a few days in Sydney and without modifying my ticket ? I have another SYD-AKL reservation for departure a few days later. Will I be able to have my bags short checked so I can pick them up in Sydney ?

Thanks
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I have a SIN-SYD-AKL ticket (same PNR), transferring via Sydney overnight (arriving 9 pm, departing 6 am). Flights are on SQ and NZ airlines.

What it if I want to throwaway/give-up the Sydney to Auckland part so I can stay a few days in Sydney and without modifying my ticket ? I have another SYD-AKL reservation for departure a few days later. Will I be able to have my bags short checked so I can pick them up in Sydney?
More of a question for SQ than the SYD airport thread. Will be a risk.
My limited understanding is cannot stay airside at SYD T1 overnight. [airport curfew-closed 23:00 05:00]
If you no show any segment on a ticket all subsequence flights on that ticket will auto cancel.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
More of a question for SQ than the SYD airport thread. Will be a risk.
My limited understanding is cannot stay airside at SYD T1 overnight. [airport curfew-closed 23:00 05:00]
If you no show any segment on a ticket all subsequence flights on that ticket will auto cancel.
I just wanna know if I'll be able to pick up my luggage at SYD (layover is overnight), I don't mind losing the second segment of my ticket.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just wanna know if I'll be able to pick up my luggage at SYD (layover is overnight), I don't mind losing the second segment of my ticket.
More of a question for SQ forum than the SYD airport thread.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
More of a question for SQ forum than the SYD airport thread.
isn't it standard procedure in Sydney that luggage is NOT checked through to final destination when an OVERNIGHT layover is involved ?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:42 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat

isn't it standard procedure in Sydney that luggage is NOT checked through to final destination when an OVERNIGHT layover is involved ?
No, the standard procedure you may be thinking of is not checked through if >24 hours to connecting flight time. Your bigger risk is that if you are flying SQ they will reprice your fare SIN-SYD if you don't fly SYD-AKL and this is likely to be much higher fare, which will be charged back to the ticket issuer (TA or credit card). Could be pretty expensive to miss that flight deliberately
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:28 pm

I've never found an airline that didn't at least allow (if not force) you to short-check on an overnight connection - especially when it's at an airport that closes overnight so you are forced to go airside.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by number_6
No, the standard procedure you may be thinking of is not checked through if >24 hours to connecting flight time. Your bigger risk is that if you are flying SQ they will reprice your fare SIN-SYD if you don't fly SYD-AKL and this is likely to be much higher fare, which will be charged back to the ticket issuer (TA or credit card). Could be pretty expensive to miss that flight deliberately
I'm pretty sure SQ can't actually charge me squat for me skipping the SYD-AKL segment of my Aeroplan reward ticket. They can pound sand.

Plus, what the guy above me said.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:05 pm

I'm pretty sure SQ can't actually charge me squat for me skipping the SYD-AKL segment of my Aeroplan reward ticket. They can pound sand.

Plus, what the guy above me said.
Legally they almost certainly could come after you for the Australian arrival tax that would be due as a result of you not being a transit passenger (although possibly offset against the NZ equivalent taxes).

Of course, I doubt they would, but...
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:53 pm

Greetings, and thank you all that have been so helpful.
​​​​​​
I managed to read the wiki and the last 20 pages, but wanted to confirm a few things.

I'm flying United J from IAH to SYD arriving at 7am at the end of May. I realize I'm arriving at peak time with other wide body long haul flights, but I'm hopeful that I can "connect" to a Tiger Air flight to MEL at 10am. Based on what I've read , 3 hours is the absolute minimum transfer time from international to domestic. Barring any delays with my IAH flight, traveling with just a carry on, being able to disembark before other passengers, possibly getting an express pass from United, and holding an epassport to use the smartgates, would 3 hours be enough to get to the Tiger Air counter to check in?

Thanks in advance .
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JT777 Welcome to FT (& Aussie)
Originally Posted by JT777
Greetings, and thank you all that have been so helpful.
​​​​​​
I managed to read the wiki and the last 20 pages, but wanted to confirm a few things.

I'm flying United J from IAH to SYD arriving at 7am at the end of May. I realize I'm arriving at peak time with other wide body long haul flights, but I'm hopeful that I can "connect" to a Tiger Air flight to MEL at 10am. Based on what I've read , 3 hours is the absolute minimum transfer time from international to domestic. Barring any delays with my IAH flight, traveling with just a carry on, being able to disembark before other passengers, possibly getting an express pass from United, and holding an epassport to use the smartgates, would 3 hours be enough to get to the Tiger Air counter to check in? .
Have you read the wiki?
After flying USA---> Aust in J please do not book Tigerair. Just do not do that!
Read the TT Tigerair rules carefully. Look at the add-ons for checked bags etc. Normal carry-on for USA airlines and for Australian airlines is not the same.
If you book with QF or VA you can check in for the MEL domestic flight in the international terminal and then take the VA/QF bus across to T2/T3. Will be money well spent.
3hrs is usual minimum for separate flights. For TT or JQ I would add some more time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.