Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
The train is easy and fast but a bit tricky with luggage. The fare is about $15 each way per person. (Someone here will know the exact price, I use my Opal card so I don't check).

I'd take a taxi in your situation, the queue might look long but it moves quickly. Cost might be around $50 to the city, again someone else here will have a more exact idea about the price. I wouldn't bother booking a car service.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by shimps1
I have read a number of pages in this thread, but I didn't find a clear answer.
What time of day do you arrive, and what day of the week?
Old May 21, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by docbert
What time of day do you arrive, and what day of the week?
9:15AM on a Thursday, flight departing in 10:15 PM on a Sunday.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I just checked my receipts for a trip to Sydney last year.

Arriving Sunday night from Manila, Uber into hotel near Haymarket, Au$64!

There's a pickup point for Uber which involves a bit of a walk.

Back out to the airport Tuesday afternoon for flight to Brisbane, Uber again - Au$20.

Beats me.

I'm not fond of the train with heavy luggage, because it gets very awkward when you arrive in town at Central. (It's easy enough to catch it at the airport, although I always miss one while I'm meeting with the ticket machine)

There is a small lift/elevator at one end of the platform at Sydney Central which is not always working, and always overcrowded when it is, otherwise you have to use stairs and a busy ticket gate.

Last time I took the train it was Au$16.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:03 pm

9:15AM on a Thursday, flight departing in 10:15 PM on a Sunday.
As with most PT questions, where is the hotel? Those times are fine for the train although if the hotel is say the Park Hyatt it will be a schlepp to get there with luggage (or even without). If you've ever been to New York, the train ensemble is relatively similar in that there is no real airport train and you're catching it with the general public.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
As with most PT questions, where is the hotel? Those times are fine for the train although if the hotel is say the Park Hyatt it will be a schlepp to get there with luggage (or even without). If you've ever been to New York, the train ensemble is relatively similar in that there is no real airport train and you're catching it with the general public.
Currently booked in Potts Point but I'm thinking about moving to the Marriott at Circular Quay. I think we're probably going to taxi, just easier with the luggage situation.

With that 10:15 PM departure, we're going to be stuck checking out of the hotel and then having them hold our luggage until later, so we can still take advantage of the day. Say we're still in Potts Point, would leaving at 7:15PM from the hotel give us enough time to make a 10:15PM international departure?
Old May 22, 2017, 7:53 pm

Currently booked in Potts Point but I'm thinking about moving to the Marriott at Circular Quay. I think we're probably going to taxi, just easier with the luggage situation.

With that 10:15 PM departure, we're going to be stuck checking out of the hotel and then having them hold our luggage until later, so we can still take advantage of the day. Say we're still in Potts Point, would leaving at 7:15PM from the hotel give us enough time to make a 10:15PM international departure?
Should be fine on a Sunday night. Although you will need to get through passport control as well which can take time depending on the number of machines they have working.

Okay - for Potts Point definitely cab it. For the Marriott Circular Quay the train is doable as it is a single ride to Circular Quay and then about a block walk.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:04 pm

T1 to T3 Help

Arrive T1 MH flt. 10:00 a.m. in J, connect to QF J flight at 12:00 p.m. I need to get to T3. All flts, on one ticket/PNR/itinerary. Is 2 hours enough? Is there expedited immigration queue for J class MH pax? Does QF still have a seamless transfer desk after T1 customs? How long is the bus trip T-1 to T3. Says it drops off at T3, gate 15. Will I have to reclear security? Thank you for your help.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by loopflyer
Arrive T1 MH flt. 10:00 a.m. in J, connect to QF J flight at 12:00 p.m. I need to get to T3. All flts, on one ticket/PNR/itinerary. Is 2 hours enough? Is there expedited immigration queue for J class MH pax? Does QF still have a seamless transfer desk after T1 customs? How long is the bus trip T-1 to T3. Says it drops off at T3, gate 15. Will I have to reclear security? Thank you for your help.
Please read the wiki post (click to open)
On 1 ticket/PNR and 2 hours you will be OK. 10:00 is after the early morning peak (06:00-08:00)
At T1 after QF checkin you go through security (quick). Then onto the QF bus and across to T3 (~10 minutes) You arrive T3 airside, as you went through security before getting on the QF bus.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Please read the wiki post (click to open)
On 1 ticket/PNR and 2 hours you will be OK. 10:00 is after the early morning peak (06:00-08:00)
At T1 after QF checkin you go through security (quick). Then onto the QF bus and across to T3 (~10 minutes) You arrive T3 airside, as you went through security before getting on the QF bus.
Thank you for your information.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Does anyone know if the food court outside of security is easily accessible for passengers arriving at SYD from flights from the US?

Priority Pass provides credits at some of the restaurants at the airport but only one appears to be landside, Mach 2:

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/loun...1-0beff89f4f38

Of course, PP may not be valid for arrival, since lounges typically want to see the boarding passes.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Does anyone know if the food court outside of security is easily accessible for passengers arriving at SYD from flights from the US?
Depends on what you mean by easily accessible, you will have to clear immigration and customs and then it's one level up. The escalators and lifts are at the far ends of the terminal with the food court roughly in the middle and the food options are not as good as the international terminal at SFO.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Priority Pass provides credits at some of the restaurants at the airport but only one appears to be landside, Mach 2:
Wow - that's new!

However at least officially, Priority Pass outside of the US is for use on departure only, not arrival. Unless you're connecting to a domestic flight, you will likely not get this credit.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah I do have a one-way flight to MEL a few days later, so I guess I'll check it out then.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah I do have a one-way flight to MEL a few days later, so I guess I'll check it out then.
But that domestic MEL flight will be from a different terminal T2 or T3, depending on the airline. Mach 1 is in T1. There is no free transport from T1 international to T2 T3, unless you qualify for the the free VA bus or free QF bus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.