Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ExecPlatWife
Am I correct that, upon arriving at Sydney, we do not have to collect our bags, assuming they are checked all the way through to Auckland?
Correct. No immigration, no baggage/customs, although you will need to go through security (and thus no liquids/etc).

AA will likely be able to give you a boarding pass for your QF flight, but if not there is a transfer desk next to (before) the transfer security check.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExecPlatWife
Next week, we are arriving in Sydney on an American Airlines flight, connecting to a Qantas flight to Auckland. The itinerary was all booked on a single ticket. Am I correct that, upon arriving at Sydney, we do not have to collect our bags, assuming they are checked all the way through to Auckland?
Yes. You should get both LAX-SYD & SYD-AKL boarding pass's. When you check in make sure the agent tags the bag for AKL. Go through the transit door to the departure side at SYD after you arrive. If you end up at the immigration area you have gone too far: turn around and find the transit doors.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Flying into Sydney next month from Vancouver and I need to get to my hotel near Central Station. Is the train easy to figure out?

Will also need to get a SIM card at the airport for my trip. Is that possible?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcbg1
Flying into Sydney next month from Vancouver and I need to get to my hotel near Central Station. Is the train easy to figure out?

Will also need to get a SIM card at the airport for my trip. Is that possible?
Q1 Yes. Follow the signage (to the right)
http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/go/by-train.aspx

Q2 Yes. SIM's for sale immediately after immigration.
However they may not be the best deal depending on your phone & data requirement and time in Australia.
Around Central Stations may be other options. Supermarkets (Coles, Woolworths, etc) also sell SIM card & phone plans.
http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/find...610DA97F416%7d [T1 is international]
Optus http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/find...DC146DB5422%7d
Vodaphone http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/find...B16ECCC8A85%7d
Telstra is the other big telco in Australia
These are 3 main telco's, with others reselling/rebranding services from 1 of the 3.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...australia.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...ta-aus-nz.html (from 2015)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 8, 2017 at 8:50 pm Reason: added SYD train & telecomucation links
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: Delta PM
Hi all, coming in LAX-SYD via Delta and then have a seperate VA ticket SYD-BNE (although they are both DL award tickets)

I assume my best play is to follow the T1 to T2 information in the wiki. Can anyone tell me if we'll be permitted to use the VA transfer desk since these are two seperate reservations?

Since they are both DL award tix should I have the PNR's "linked" or something like that?

Finally, should I be concerned about 3 hours between flights? I've seen a mixed answer to that question.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
Hi all, coming in LAX-SYD via Delta and then have a seperate VA ticket SYD-BNE (although they are both DL award tickets)
I assume my best play is to follow the T1 to T2 information in the wiki. Can anyone tell me if we'll be permitted to use the VA transfer desk since these are two separate reservations?

Since they are both DL award tix should I have the PNR's "linked" or something like that?.
Yes. You can use the VA domestic check in at T1 (International terminal) and then the VA terminal T1 T3 transfer system. 100's do this every day flying into Australia and then with a separate ticket on VA (or QF).

Linking is nothing more than text in a reservation that someone may or may not read.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 9, 2017 at 4:55 am
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: Delta PM
Thanks so much for the quick response Mwenenzi!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:39 pm

I am panicking a little so hope someone can reassure me.

I have a flight booked Heathrow to Sydney then Sydney to Auckland all one ticket, 2 hour connection at Sydney.

I checked I don't need a visa as the BA site says that my luggage will be checked through as my journey is all one ticket so I don't need to leave, get my luggage and go back in. I hold a UK passport with about 8 years left on it. And my transit is less than 8 hours.

I have just gone to check in and can only check in for the LHR-SYD leg. The onward journey cannot be checked in to until just after I take off. But has to be checked in for by the same time as I arrive. I know I'm not the first to do this journey so hopefully BA can sort something about this or I can check in while we refuel in Singapore and then collect my boarding pass from the transit desk at Sydney.

Anyway. My problem. The BA site says I cannot print a boarding pass because the travel document details I have entered are ont valid for this flight. That I need to check visa and passport requirements with IATA. And that I cannot fly without the correct travel documents. It also says the contact centre staff cannot help resolve issues relating to passports and visas.

So what can I do? I will call BA in the morning even though it says not to. If I can't get on this flight I have no choice but to book another route. But has anyone seen this before and been OK in this situation? I have Googled my heart out and searched all the terms I can think of on here and can't find anything.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bethf1980
So what can I do?
Check-in at the airport (LHR) and you'll be fine.

Worst case you'll need to go to the transfer desk at SYD (which is airside, right before the international transfer security), but given you're on BA for the first leg(s) even that's unlikely.

There is nothing at all for you to be worried about.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bethf1980
I have just gone to check in and can only check in for the LHR-SYD leg. The onward journey cannot be checked in to until just after I take off.
Originally Posted by docbert
Check-in at the airport (LHR) and you'll be fine.
<snip>
There is nothing at all for you to be worried about.
As post 323 was 5 days ago I guess bethf1980 has already transited SYD. And agree would have been OK
With the long 22hr plus LHR-SYD flight the onward flight was probably not open (more than 24 hrs before). Many people do this every day at SYD.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is 2 hour International to domestic doable with 2 different bookings

Hi
We arrive at Sydney International terminal on QR and have a connecting flight with Qantas domestic to MEL. Had to book as two different bookings due to last minute changes. Initially had 4 hours transit time but Qatar changed their flight times, so now only have 2 hours.
Will be flying J all the way, so should be off the flight first and since it is in the evening, am hoping it's not too busy.
IF the flight is on time, is there any hope of getting through e-passport, get baggage (hopefully priority baggage will come out first), clear customs and quarantine to get to the QF seamless transfer in time?
If somebody has done this recently, please let me know.
Many thanks in advance.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:12 am

Hi everyone.

I'm going to be in Townsville and am looking at booking flight VA1520 arriving at SYD at 15:50. I have baggage to collect etc.

I then need to transfer to the international terminal for flight EK419 which leaves SYD at 18:30. Emirates say I should check in 90 minutes in advance

Is 2 hours and 40 minutes enough time to clear the domestic terminal, collect my baggage, transfer to the international terminal and check in in time?

Thanks
Old May 7, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dselvan
Hi
We arrive at Sydney International terminal on QR and have a connecting flight with Qantas domestic to MEL. Had to book as two different bookings due to last minute changes. Initially had 4 hours transit time but Qatar changed their flight times, so now only have 2 hours.
Will be flying J all the way, so should be off the flight first and since it is in the evening, am hoping it's not too busy.
IF the flight is on time, is there any hope of getting through e-passport, get baggage (hopefully priority baggage will come out first), clear customs and quarantine to get to the QF seamless transfer in time?
Many thanks in advance.
It will be tight. If you're UK passport holders, passport control will be fast. QF has a domestic check in desk at the int'l terminal that you must get to at least 1 hour before departure, so if your QR flight is on time, you should be ok.

I believe QR has started checking through to OW on separate tickets again so perhaps ask them to do that, won't save you much time because you have to pick up bags anyway but could save a little.

Originally Posted by Ed Muffett
Hi everyone.

I'm going to be in Townsville and am looking at booking flight VA1520 arriving at SYD at 15:50. I have baggage to collect etc.

I then need to transfer to the international terminal for flight EK419 which leaves SYD at 18:30. Emirates say I should check in 90 minutes in advance

Is 2 hours and 40 minutes enough time to clear the domestic terminal, collect my baggage, transfer to the international terminal and check in in time?

Thanks
It will be tight. You will have to take the train for $5.50 from domestic to international as well. If your VA flight is late, do you want to risk missing your EK flight? If they won't rebook you, you could be out a lot of money. If you haven't booked this already, I would not.
Old May 7, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Dselvan
Hi
Many thanks in advance.
It's not ideal, but if you are not delayed then you have time. Your biggest risk/cost if you are delayed is an overnight in Sydney but there is nothing you can do to mitigate that. SYD international arrivals are quiet at that time and customs is generally quick (maybe 10-15 minutes if you have something to declare or discuss such as food or outdoor walking gear). As above, if you have an e-passport eligible for SmartGate (Aus, NZ, USA, Canada, UK, Ireland + others) then immigration takes no time at all through the automated gates (look for the blue kiosks as you approach duty free). It is a 5-10 minute walk (right) to Qantas transfer. It really doesn't matter if your bag is tagged through or not at that time of day (there is a bag drop that can be quicker than check in in the mornings, but it will be very quick when you arrive). You can end up waiting 20 minutes for the domestic transfer bus but generally not and you do security before you get on the bus and straight into the domestic terminal. I arrived at 16:25 (landing time) two weeks ago and was through, transferred and in the domestic lounge in about 50 minutes including a customs check.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Ed Muffett
Hi everyone.

Thanks
You haven't got 2 hrs 40, you have 1 hr 10 minutes to taxi, disembark, collect bags, transfer terminal and get to check in. I agree with above, although if everything come in on time this is doable, any delays in the flight or baggage handling and you are stuffed. I personally would not risk an international ticket given the probable replacement cost to get you to BKK/DXB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.