Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:07 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I don't believe anything has changed. No personal experience, as I use the showers in the airline lounges (which are excellent). If using a public shower at an airport, bring your own towel/soap/slippers and a plastic bag to hold the wet things afterwards.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 2:45 am

Programs: UA 1P, DL Gold, SPG Gold
number_6, thanks for the info.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 4:58 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
I suppose at some point the domestic terminal will also crack down on airside access.
This is unlikely anytime soon. Throughout substantially all of Australia, you don't need a BP to access airside at domestic terminals. Heck, on the north shore of Tassie, there's not even security.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 3:57 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by TechnoPagan
Has anyone used/seen the showers lately?

I have a MR to SYD from IAD in May - leaving after work so it would be nice grab a shower before heading into the city for a few hours. I have no lounge access so that is not an option.

I have a pair of "swim shoes" I will bring, and a towel/soap/etc.

Also, are they "private" or is it like a locker room??
Technopagan, they are private cubicles. Quite clean too from my visits. Australia is having fewer and fewer open locker room style showers now Mostly swimming baths etc where it would not be out of place to not be totally naked.
Old May 10, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: AA, BA, B6, DL, UA 1K, VA, VX
Originally Posted by Dresden
I flew into SYD Saturday and misconnected due to a delay on UA839. I went to the Virgin Blue lounge in T3 and paid to use their lounge and shower. The attendant gave me two huge bath sheets, soap and shampoo. Pretty clean as they go, and the food was great in the Virgin lounge. Free Wi-Fi, overall a good investment of $30 AUD.
Unfortunately, the Virgin Blue website states that non-members can only access the Lounge a maximum of 2 hours prior to scheduled departure.

Guess I'll be stinky after flying LHR-SFO-LAX-SYD-8 hour layover-OOL
Old May 10, 2009, 2:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
8 hours is plenty long enough to use an airport hotel day stay, or just use the public showers at the airport. No need to be stinky.
Old May 31, 2009, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P, DL Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks everyone for the info about the SYD showers. I showered in the handicapped bathroom at baggage claim after my UA flight. There was a sink, toilet, shower and air hand dryer in there. Cleanliness was OK but I was glad I had shower shoes (I'm not the type to place my bare feet on just any surface). The water was nice and hot and there was good water pressure.

The one downer was the customs person commenting on my "lot of stuff" for a one-day trip. It seems my MR resulted in secondary screening I didn't think I had that much -- basically a change of clothes and all the things I could fit in a carry-on to make my multiple flights as comfy as possible.

I am happy that I qualified for *Gold with the SYD MR so I'll be able to use a lounge shower next time I'm on a short trip to SYD.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hi Number_6, I have a question and I hope you could help me...

I'm flying to SYD on UA and will be connecting on Virgin Blue to Bali. Both flights will arrive & depart out of T1 International. Since the connecting time is ~5 hours, I'd love to take a shower. Can I go to Virgin Blue lounge either in T2 or T3 even if I don't fly their domestic flight? I don't mind buying premium econ on my Virgin Blue flight to Bali if that would give me access to their lounge in T2 or T3.

I'm Star Alliance Gold with United Global Services status...

Thanks in advance!!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:45 pm
Original Member

Doesn't UA GS give you anytime access to UA lounges? Presume they have one at SYD (and it would be in T1 International, where you are). *G would also get you into the NZ lounge which is rather nice (though I haven't been in there for years, I am strictly OW in Oz). Can't help you with the DJ questions, but they tend to be tight with lounge access so I suspect you are better off pursuing UA/Star.

I always take CX to DPS, but I suppose from US via SYD is not really longer than via HKG.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

UA lounge at SYD closed a year ago. UA GS certainly will not get anytime access to the 2 *G lounges (SQ & NZ) on arrival.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:18 am

I checked and I can't use any of the Star lounges.

If I can get into the airside in Syd T2 without a boarding pass, I'd go to the DJ lounge there or the Body Spa, since I have the time to do so. But can I?

thank you!
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

No need for a boarding pass to go airside at a domestic terminal. However I'm not convinced DJ lounge bouncer will permit access (and you'll need to pay to take the bus or train between international and domestic terminals thus no better off than simply using the pay showers in international terminal).
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:11 pm
Original Member

Sounds like UA uber status is pretty worthless. Gotta love airlines with anytime lounge access benefits that close most of the lounges down. I suppose giving benefits that cost nothing is a clever marketing strategy for some.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:57 pm

Thank you Kiwi Flyer and Number_6.

I looked for pay showers in T1 but wasnt able to find one. Mind sharing any info on such facilities if you know any? BTW, my connecting flight is DJ SYD-Bali so I dont think DJ lounge bouncer at T2 would kick me out.

thank you.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

See SYD airport website

Showers
Complimentary shower facilities are available through the terminal at the following locations. There are currently no towel vending services available.

Departures level

Northern end - behind Check-in Counter B
Southern end - behind Check-in Counter K
Gate 24 - Passengers Only
Gate 25 - Passengers Only
Gate 31 - Passengers Only
Gate 51 - Passengers Only
Arrivals level

centrally located behind the glass lifts
So they are free, but bring your own towel and soap. NB DJ departures are at the high numbered gates (and uses high lettered check in desks) but international terminal airside is all connected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.