Wiki Posts
Search

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 2:49 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by docbert
next flight to AKL - they run regularly.
I'd hope so given Qantas publishes a schedule. They are also frequent, so not too long to the next flight if misconnect.
Old May 16, 2016, 2:16 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Hi, I have a 1 hr international to international connection at SYD (AKL-SYD-SIN). I cannot afford to miss the SYD-SIN flight as it is the last of the day.

Also my travel companion does not have a visa to enter Australia - so I guess its not possible to go landslide and travel the next day.

Is this too risky.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
Is this too risky.
1 hour I->I is completely doable, especially late in the day when the transfer area will be fairly quiet.

However that of course presumes that your inbound is on time. If it's late, all bets are off. SYD international closes over night, so you will need to leave the airport, which will mean either an emergency visa for your companion, or overnight detention with immigration - depending on the specifics.

Personally I wouldn't risk it if there's any other alternative. Try getting on an earlier AKL-SYD
Old May 16, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Int-Int Connection

I'm flying VA2 from LAX to SYD, which lands at T1 @ 6:20 AM. I'm then connecting to TG476 on a separate ticket @ 10:00 AM which also departs from T1.

I'm planning on traveling with luggage so i'm going to have to clear immigration and customs. This is my first time at SYD. How bad are the immigration and customs lines in the morning? I have an APEC ABTC card, will that speed things up for me? If I decide to do this without baggage does TG have a transfer desk at SYD?

Thanks in Advance,

GPESO8
Old May 17, 2016, 3:47 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Early morning is peak hour with numerous longhaul arrivals. I allow 60+ minutes to clear immigration even with no checked bags. But you have 3:40 which should be ample.

If no checked bags then clear transit security at get onward boarding pass at either the transfer desk or at the gate.
Old May 30, 2016, 1:29 pm

Connection question in SYD from LAX (DELTA) to AIR ASIA

Hi, we are flying into SYD from LAX on Delta arriving 6:50 AM and taking an AIR ASIA flight to DPS at 10:45 on separate tickets. Will we have to exit through Australia immigration or can we just stay in transit?
Old May 30, 2016, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a question you need ask Air Asia. They may or may not be able to check in - issues boarding passes air side
Will you have checked luggage?
Air Asia is low cost carrier. Extremely likely you will have to go landside (immigration, customs & quarantine) to check in with Air Asia.
Depending on your passport, you many need a Australian visa.

3:55 should/may be enough time if DL is on time, but not without risk. (A risk I would not take)
SYD is extremely busy at 06:30 - 07:30 with a lot of wide body long haul aircraft arriving in a short time. It can take hours to get land side http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/flig...-arrivals.aspx
Old May 30, 2016, 3:05 pm

Thanks. Checking with Air Asia. Fingers crossed....
Old May 31, 2016, 6:19 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Air Asia doesn't interline with DL so you will have to exit through immigration/customs and then check-in at Air Asia on departures. They are very strict with cutoff time for check-in (1 hour before departure). You should be OK most days, but sometimes this connection will not work. Last time I was in Sydney it took 5 min for immigration and over an hour for customs, and was told this was "fast", often it takes longer (!!!). Have heard horror stories of taking over 3 hours which is plausible given the scale and setup at SYD.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:14 am

Thanks. We can only hope it's one of those days where it all goes smoothly...
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:10 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
You didn't answer if you have checked luggage?

If you do, DL will have to agree to check it through or else you won't be able to stay in transit no matter what Air Asia says.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Sydneysider here. I'd be confident doing the flights you list here in the time frames suggested.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:25 am

Thanks. Looking forward to coming back through Sydney and spending some time there.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:26 am

We do have luggage and Air Asia has informed us we need to pick it up and check it back in....
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:51 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by rlshaw
We do have luggage and Air Asia has informed us we need to pick it up and check it back in....
That's what "no interline" means as I stated in post #4. Just be sure you have visa/ETA for Australia entry as you can't stay in transit with this connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.