Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand itinerary help (not city/region specific)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:36 pm

I didn't have any problems with sandflies in Queenstown. If you are planning on going anywhere near the Milford Sound on any day trip, I do recommend wearing suitable clothing and putting on some deet. I returned home from New Zealand on Dec 2nd and still have sandfly bites I received while hiking the Milford Track.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:51 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Just as an update, we've finished booking our trip. We'll be flying into Queenstown, and spending 3 1/2 weeks in a lakefront house in Kingston, then flying up to Auckland and spending 5 days in Rotorua on a sheep farm. ...
Just a question, how bad are sand flies in the Queenstown/Kingston area? ...
Great trip choice, you (and your kids) will love it. Sheep farm is fantastic esp. when there are lambs (probably not for your trip). As for the sand flies, don't know about Queenstown specifically, but Australia is having a record insect population due to climate change, this may also be true of NZ South Island. I've only been in November when it was never a problem, but suggest you be prepared. Deet may not be enough . Also have UV protectant clothing, the ozone hole in the southern hemisphere makes a huge difference compared to US conditions.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Spent 2 months in NZ as part of an RTW a decade ago. Had a rental car the whole time so was able to go basically everywhere. My $0.02c relating to the itinerary and what's already been said above. I realise that the OP has already booked the trip but what I say could be useful for others also.

- I much preferred Doubtful Sound to Milford Sound. Definitely a good option if you like the less touristy places.

- Wanaka was FAR nicer than Queenstown IMO. I took a look at both and decided to use Wanaka as my main base for doing the various adrenaline/adventure activities. Wanaka was very charming (is the wonderful Cinema Paradiso still there?) whereas Queenstown seemed like a tourist sausage factory with everyone rushing around like mad things, ticking things off their bucket list. This seemed to rub off on the locals and service staff who seemed a lot less friendly than the folks in Wanaka.

- I did Tongariro and it was a very enjoyable day hike but I'm an experienced hiker who has done multi-day solo wilderness treks in places like Canada, Alaska and the islands of Northern Japan. I agree with others that some people who aren't used to strenuous hikes may find it demanding.

- Abel Tasman is a fantastic area and you can't go wrong there. Lots of options and be sure to try a spot of ocean kayaking. If you get time though, consider a trip to the wine country, staying somewhere like Renwick and have a day out sampling the excellent quality local wines on offer (I began raving to everyone about how good NZ whites were after my trip there).

- The drive from Queen Charlotte Sound to Nelson is one of the best I've ever done for scenery (Haast pass is another classic).

- Routeburn track: anyone with a small child should stick to the day hike. Don't even think about doing the full trek with an infant in tow.

- Lake Taupo: It's all good and there are tons of options for activities so passing through is a no-brainer. There are cheaper places than Taupo to do parachute jumps though, so shop around if you are thinking of doing something like that.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:59 pm

Best month to visit N/S Islands, and Feb Hotel Pricing?!

When is the best month to experience both north and south islands with as little rain as possible? I had originally hoped to travel earlier this January- while weather in Auckland and most of the north was superb, I was disappointed that weather in Queenstown (and Wanaka) was rainy. I'm guessing Feb/March are better months to visit?

Also what exactly is going on in Auckland in February? Hotel prices skyrocketed by a factor of two or three times.

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Also what exactly is going on in Auckland in February? Hotel prices skyrocketed by a factor of two or three times.
What dates? May be concerts?
http://www.ticketmaster.co.nz/?tm_li...A_changeloc_go
Feb 4 Sat James Taylor and His All Star Band: Live In Concert Vector Arena, Auckland
Feb 25 Sat Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Summer '17 Tour, Mt Smart Stadium

Rain happens all year in NZ. You were just unlucky. However this summer has been some unusual high rain fall events in some areas.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What dates? May be concerts?
http://www.ticketmaster.co.nz/?tm_li...A_changeloc_go
Feb 4 Sat James Taylor and His All Star Band: Live In Concert Vector Arena, Auckland
Feb 25 Sat Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Summer '17 Tour, Mt Smart Stadium

Rain happens all year in NZ. You were just unlucky. However this summer has been some unusual high rain fall events in some areas.
I was comparing random dates in January vs. February in Auckland, and February hotel prices seemed noticeably higher. There is a pride festival that seems to span most of February in Auckland. Could that be the culprit? I thought that with kids going back to school in Feb there would be less competition for hotels.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I was comparing random dates in January vs. February in Auckland, and February hotel prices seemed noticeably higher. There is a pride festival that seems to span most of February in Auckland. Could that be the culprit? I thought that with kids going back to school in Feb there would be less competition for hotels.
In a place like Auckland would expect hotels to have more business travellers and overseas tourist, rather than NZ locals on holiday. January is low season for business travel in NZ/Australia. In a tourist destination like Queenstown, Rotorua and the like its different
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:50 am

The best weather in my opinion is actually in February. I remember as a primary school kid, that when we went back to school in February, the weather was much more hot and less wet than during the Christmas holidays.

The days are still long, the temperatures warm, and the atmosphere is great, with everybody trying to 'soak up' the last of summer while balancing out with the New Year's worth of work.

As for what is happening in February - it could be concerts but to be honest I think it's just a great month to be in Auckland which is why the hotel prices might be higher.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Summer now (or supposed to be but weather has been crap on the mainland). Feb good month and cross fingers. Central gets frosts every month of the year. During events hotel pricing will increase as rooms are limited. If you want cheap accommodation you will need to come in off season. Winter in Wanaka is not off season.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:58 am

Thanks everyone for your advice!

One more question. I was hoping to visit Wanaka to try my hand at astrophotography- any idea if I'll be able to see the Milky Way Galaxy in Feb/March?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:37 am

Programs: NZ*S
That time of year you need to make an early start, about 3am till 5:30am are going to be the best times. You should have the milkway stretching from the horizon in the east in a nearly vertical line as per the pic below at 3am. And the moon phase is excellent from 25th Feb to 5th Mar, the moon will not be in the sky at night. Evenings will not be good for the milky way, as the Milky way will be below the horizon in the south.

Assuming you have a DSLR, turn off autofocus, manually focus your lens on a very distant object, and tape the focus ring in place before you go to bed, then try not to knock it. And be prepared to do a bit of massaging of the curves and whitebalance to get good images. and dont forget a decent torch to provide some light to your foreground
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:18 pm

Thank you SpannerSpinner! Fantastic advice!

Sounds like you have quite the astrophotography experience!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Not nearly as much as i would like.. its a hobby that doesn't fit well with a normal 9-5 job in the big city... Having to drive an hour or more out of town to get to clear(ish) skys means it either a very early start to beat sunrise, or a very late night.

A couple of my better astro shots from Warkworth Satellite station (about an hour north of Auckland) -> http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26477897-post692.html
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Hi all -

Looking for some itinerary assistance:

Traveling to NZ for 2.5 weeks over the Christmas holidays with a 8, 5 and < 1 year old. We are coming across from the Gold Coast (OOL) and can fly into either AKL or CHC. Departing out of AKL 17 days later to Hawaii.

Would like some recommendations for:
a) What best to try to pack into that amount of time. The kids are good travelers, but don't want to do too many different spots if we are doing hotels/airBnB
b) Would you do a CHC-AKL route, or go in and out of AKL
c) Would you consider a caravan rental for that amount of time? If so, is there a good resource for places to go and stay along the way? Years of driving on the left, so no worries there.

Any previously itineraries are greatly appreciated!

Thanks for any pointers - I got the flights we wanted to Australia and out to Hawaii, now just need to plan the best part!

Safe travels.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AskTravis
...Looking for some itinerary assistance:

Traveling to NZ for 2.5 weeks over the Christmas holidays with a 8, 5 and < 1 year old. We are coming across from the Gold Coast (OOL) and can fly into either AKL or CHC. Departing out of AKL 17 days later to Hawaii.

Would like some recommendations for:
a) What best to try to pack into that amount of time. The kids are good travelers, but don't want to do too many different spots if we are doing hotels/airBnB
b) Would you do a CHC-AKL route, or go in and out of AKL
c) Would you consider a caravan rental for that amount of time? If so, is there a good resource for places to go and stay along the way? Years of driving on the left, so no worries there. .
A very busy time. At New Year much of the accommodation at popular places will be booked out 100%. Many NZ'ers & Australian taking summer holidays
Some to many people, will have already booked accommodation at places like Queenstown, Wanaka, Rotorua, Mt Maunganui etc. Rates are high.

Christmas-New Year & Easter are peak time for caravan/motor home hire. If they have in stock at 25 Dec or 1 Jan they have failed as a business.

I would fly OOL-CHC, tour the South Island and fly north to AKL the day before you depart.

A lot of threads in the forum for xxx days in Kiwiland

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.