Search

MELBOURNE what to see & do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Post MELBOURNE what to see & do?

Day 1 July 24 -
10:30AM free walking tour of the CBD, lasts 2.5-3 hours.
Lunch somewhere in the CBD.
Use the tram and get off at various stops/sights.
Dinner at the Railway Club Hotel.

These are not consecutive days, we're in Auckland for 3 days in between these dates.

Day 2 July 28 -
I have this day open. We're considering renting a car and driving a portion of the Great Ocean Road assuming weather isn't poor. This would be July 28th so the dead of winter. Rental hours are 7:30AM to 6PM with no after hours return (can't do next day as we fly out early that morning from MEL). Is it worth renting and driving to Twelve Apostles (and stop at the other sights, albeit not very long)?

We're in our 20s so we're fairly adventurous and use to fast-paced trips but even with that in mind I'm still second guessing myself as to whether it's worth the time for the GOR this time.

Edit -
This is what I came up with really quick.
Depart at 8AM from Melbourne CBD
5 minute stop at Memorial Arch for picture
Arrive at Great Otway National Park at 11:15AM
45 minute walk Mait Rest Rain Forest
Depart by Noon
Arrive at Twelve Apostles/Gibson Steps at 1:05PM
5 minute drive to Loch Ard Gorge
Depart LAG by 2PM
Skip London Bridge, arrive Melbourne CBD at 5PM (Google showed some red getting into MEL but at the time it is morning in MEL, not sure on afternooon traffic)

In other words, I'm even more skeptical with this now as that included no food/rest breaks nor did it take into account any unforseen traffic getting in/out of Melbourne.

Last edited by ChiefNWA; Jul 11, 2016 at 2:32 pm
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Oh, please don't drive to the edge of the GOR if you only have a day in Melbourne. Especially in winter.

The first 90 minutes of that drive is terribly boring. And the weather will likely be poor, even if it is not raining it will be windy and cold. Traffic will be stressful on the way back especially if you have any delays and have to get there by 6.

If you fancy Australian Wildlife, and want to drive somewhere, you might consider Healesville Sanctuary. The drive to there is lovely. If you want a beach photo-op, take the train to Brighton Beach. Or stay in Melbourne and visit Fitzroy, Abbotsford Convent, St. Kilda, Prahran/Windsor or other areas you missed in your day in the CBD.

I don't have time to post a better list, and you haven't really expressed what things you are interested in. But check out any Melbourne thread. It's a fantastic city that you could easily spend a week exploring. Stay in Melbourne or close by and enjoy it.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jul 11, 2016 at 4:09 pm
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Oh, please don't drive to the edge of the GOR if you only have a day in Melbourne. Especially in winter.

The first 90 minutes of that drive is terribly boring. And the weather will likely be poor, even if it is not raining it will be windy and cold. Traffic will be stressful on the way back especially if you have any delays and have to get there by 6.

If you fancy Australian Wildlife, and want to drive somewhere, you might consider Healesville Sanctuary. The drive to there is lovely. If you want a beach photo-op, take the train to Brighton Beach. Or stay in Melbourne and visit Fitzroy, Abbotsford Convent, St. Kilda, Prahran/Windsor or other areas you missed in your day in the CBD.

I don't have time to post a better list, and you haven't really expressed what things you are interested in. But check out any Melbourne thread. It's a fantastic city that you could easily spend a week exploring. Stay in Melbourne or close by and enjoy it.
Sort of what I figured. I'm sure I'll return to MEL at some point so I'll save the GOR for a different season and more time.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
If I had 1 day in Melbourne I'd stay around the CBD, do the Melbourne Museum in Carlton/Fitzroy and eat and drink my way around.

The museum is 300m away from one of my favourite restaurants Cutler & Co. 😀
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
If I had 1 day in Melbourne I'd stay around the CBD, do the Melbourne Museum in Carlton/Fitzroy and eat and drink my way around.

The museum is 300m away from one of my favourite restaurants Cutler & Co. 😀
I've technically got two days albeit split up over the week (Sunday and Thursday). I have decided to stay in the city those days and just split up some of the activities and avoid renting a car completely.

I've actually seen Cutler and Co come up on a few lists for places to eat so sounds good to me!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
I've technically got two days albeit split up over the week (Sunday and Thursday). I have decided to stay in the city those days and just split up some of the activities and avoid renting a car completely.

I've actually seen Cutler and Co come up on a few lists for places to eat so sounds good to me!
Good choice.^
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:48 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
As someone who is used to fast-paced travelling myself, the 12 Apostles would be a long day, but if you really want to see them, I say go for it. I love Melbourne, but it's more of a "nice city to be in" not a city full of things to interest an international tourist. Australians talk it up big time, but I would take your advice from other international tourists as to whether it's worthwhile or not. Perhaps many will say it is, but personally, if natural beauty is what you're into, don't be talked out of it.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by ryanbryan
Australians talk it up big time
Australians don't. Victorians, and more specifically Melburnians, do.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryanbryan
As someone who is used to fast-paced travelling myself, the 12 Apostles would be a long day, but if you really want to see them, I say go for it. I love Melbourne, but it's more of a "nice city to be in" not a city full of things to interest an international tourist. Australians talk it up big time, but I would take your advice from other international tourists as to whether it's worthwhile or not. Perhaps many will say it is, but personally, if natural beauty is what you're into, don't be talked out of it.
I wouldn't really classify myself the same way an international tourist would in the sense that I don't really run around with a selfie stick to all the foursquare photo locations I can find lol. I'm a photographer so it seems both the city and Twelve Apostles would be great, albeit the Twelve Apostles would be better at sunset (which the rental car would prevent me form seeing).

I'm planning on hitting a museum or two the second day at this point and probably going to fill the void with some decent restaurants for lunch and dinner the two days as well. I do enjoy a nice city, but at the same time I enjoy seeing nature every once in a while.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Originally Posted by bensyd
Australians don't. Victorians, and more specifically Melburnians, do.
Eheheh too true. Never ask a local for a travel recommendation for their own city. You're never spending enough time there according to them. Mind you, I always tell people you can do everything in CBR in a day :-)

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
I wouldn't really classify myself the same way an international tourist would in the sense that I don't really run around with a selfie stick to all the foursquare photo locations I can find lol. I'm a photographer so it seems both the city and Twelve Apostles would be great, albeit the Twelve Apostles would be better at sunset (which the rental car would prevent me form seeing).
Makes sense. Enjoy Melbourne!
Old Jul 14, 2016, 2:48 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
If you're into food, I'd recommend Maha for Sunday lunch on July 24. It's in the CBD and is exceptional Middle Eastern flavours. They have a 4 course lunch for about $75/80 per head. Or Cumulus Inc but no bookings and queues can be horrendous.

If after something cheaper I'd head to Fitzroy or Collingwood to get really good cafe food around the $25 mark. Or do the Cutler & Co 4 course Sunday lunch at about $75/80 per head.

Melbourne is a great eating city. And I'm from Sydney!
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Just wondering what the attraction is for eating at the Railway Club Hotel?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Just wondering what the attraction is for eating at the Railway Club Hotel?
Steaks are the best going around.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:37 pm

If you are even a bit of a sports lover Hawthorn are playing Richmond at the MCG on the afternoon of the 24/7. If you can get tickets they are normally quite cheap. A match at the MCG is a great experience for any visitor
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Guvner067
Steaks are the best going around.
Used to live in Albert Park. Never heard of this hotel in Port Melbourne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.