Airport info BRISBANE (BNE) - amenities, transfers, transport

Old Aug 20, 2016, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Post Airport info BRISBANE (BNE) - amenities, transfers, transport

Now that plaza premium at BNE is part of priority pass, I have these questions..

We are flying in from Los Angeles on the way to Auckland. We have a 12 hour layover in BNE.

1) Once we land in BNE , we are planning to walk to the lounge for freshening up. We are flying Qantas from L.A. How do we get to the lounge?

2) Then after 2 hours at lounge we plan to get out , take AIRTRAIN and do a walking tour of Brisbane city (CBD area). Then come back in the evening a few hours before our flight to Auckland. How do we get back to the lounge once we pass immigration from departure area?

3) So basically we would be using the lounge twice on same day.. Once in the morning and once in evening for a few hours each. Would that be okay?

I emailed these questions 2 days back to the lounge customer service but never received an email reply.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 3:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Are you on separate tickets or a single ticket?

On a single ticket you can clear international transit security to reach departures and the lounge. Once there you can't leave to visit the city.

On separate tickets you would need to clear immigration and customs and recheck for the AKL flight.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
The lounge is airside so once there you will not be able to go out again.

There are showers in the international terminal in the arrivals hall- free of charge, but you will need your own towels.

You will have to decide if you want a shower before or after your trip to BNE.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

We are on the same ticket.. LAX - BNE - AKL - BNE - LAX... Layover at BNE is 12 hours...hmm we definitely want to see Brisbane..so I guess we will have to go through immigration and get out after arrival. Checkout the city and come back for AKL flight and at that time use the lounge.

The only issue is we arrive early morning at 6.20 am or so and wanted to spend some time in the airport to have breakfast ...good to know of showers in arrival hall..
Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Your flight from LAX will serve breakfast before arrival in BNE.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At Australian international airports departure side (after exit immigration) and arrival side (before incoming immigration) are separate, unless you are in transit. The transit door allows you to go from the arrival to departures area. You cannot do the reverse. You cannot wander between the departure side & landing side. The lounges are departure lounges only. Australian airports do not have arrival lounges.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Okay so on arrival we will go thru immigration and have shower in arrival hall ..then proceed by train to CBD ....coming back we will take train, immigration (incoming) and then proceed to the lounge before our AKL flight..
Old Aug 21, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Don't have breakfast at the airport, go into the city and find a decent cafe, I'm sure FTers can recommend decent ones with good coffee and good good.

Make sure you have the right visas etc.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Don't have breakfast at the airport, go into the city and find a decent cafe, I'm sure FTers can recommend decent ones with good coffee and good good.

Make sure you have the right visas etc.
Yes we do have the Aus visa valid till next year...we land around 6 am ...with all the immigration processing I am assuming we should be out of airport by 7.30 am - 8 am ...and after taking the train , I am assuming we would reach CBD by 9 am ..I am hoping restaurants are open around that time... It would be a sunday when we land in BNE..
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
On a single ticket you can clear international transit security to reach departures and the lounge. Once there you can't leave to visit the city.
Are you sure? In SYD this is apparently possible, although you need to do some talking to get back through transit security and to the arrivals area.

I've never tried it myself, but I've heard several reports of people doing it without too much trouble (and one where there was trouble because the person decided to take fruit from the lounge, and then was surprised when it was confiscated going through customs...)

(I have done exactly this in Narita without much trouble, but obviously different country, different rules)
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:55 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

It is the same setup in BNE as in SYD, albeit with smaller transfer security (less lanes).

The problem is relying on staff manning security permitting someone to go backwards, and then at immigration not arousing the suspicion/ire of the agent for turning up well after every other passenger on the flight. Good chance of getting secondary, and they could decide not to permit entry.

Is that worth it just to get a shower which can be had landside anyway?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Can you accidentally go through the 'transfer' area if you intended to terminate in SYD or BNE?

Seems like there has to be a way to exit somehow, yes you'd need to go through immigration of course but if you can't exit what happens to people with canceled flights, etc?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:59 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Of course you can exit, but they can also detain you for an arbitrary number of hours or decide to deport you back to point of origin ... remember that most of the normal rights don't apply for customs/immigration 99% of the time it all goes smoothly, but 1% of the time it becomes a real adventure. I was once randomly selected for a customs compliance check -- to calibrate the effectiveness of their systems -- and it is no fun at all. Going via transit when not transiting can raise all sorts of red flags, and some can stay with you for years. Worst case you wind up getting secondary inspection for your next 100 trips and miss all your connecting flights as it takes 5-10 hours to clear immigration. Unlikely but possible (more possible in US than in Oz).
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by number_6
Of course you can exit, but they can also detain you for an arbitrary number of hours or decide to deport you back to point of origin ... remember that most of the normal rights don't apply for customs/immigration 99% of the time it all goes smoothly, but 1% of the time it becomes a real adventure. I was once randomly selected for a customs compliance check -- to calibrate the effectiveness of their systems -- and it is no fun at all. Going via transit when not transiting can raise all sorts of red flags, and some can stay with you for years. Worst case you wind up getting secondary inspection for your next 100 trips and miss all your connecting flights as it takes 5-10 hours to clear immigration. Unlikely but possible (more possible in US than in Oz).
I wasn't suggesting anyone be intentionally 'lost' and go to the transfer area. I was genuinely curious if it was possible. If there was a security check, boarding pass check, etc. I don't remember seeing any but I rarely do an international transfer in oz.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I wasn't suggesting anyone be intentionally 'lost' and go to the transfer area. I was genuinely curious if it was possible. If there was a security check, boarding pass check, etc. I don't remember seeing any but I rarely do an international transfer in oz.
They check boarding passes. If you're connecting and don't have a boarding pass there's a transfer desk before the security to get one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.