Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport info ADELAIDE (ADL) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2016, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Post Airport info ADELAIDE (ADL) - amenities, transfers, transport

We are arriving into Adelaide airport by Singapore Airlines at 9AM flying business class. Can we pass the immigration, collect our bags and then check in for a domestic flight on Qantas to ASP departing at 10:45 AM flying economy?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 10:36 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
If you are on separate tickets then you are not connecting, and missing the checkin cutoff for your separate domestic flight will mean your ticket and any remaining segments on it may be cancelled.

Checkin cutoff is 30mins before the flight, so all going well it is possible.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As above, if separate tickets/PNR it is all at your own risk.
QF723 is the only QF flight from ADL to ASP per day
Virgin have a flight VA1741 at 13:50., but not every day. VA are a ff partner of SQ

ADL is a small airport. International & domestic flights arrive/depart from the same building

Looking at the history of SQ279 sometimes it a little early, but at other times has been late by 15 -30 - 85 minutes.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SIA279
Old Dec 17, 2016, 12:28 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Immigration & customs at ADL is not as efficient as at the major airports. This makes the connection doable but risky if on a single ticket. If on separate tickets I wouldn't do it.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:44 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If your flight is on time you will be OK. Just make sure you go straight from your seat to immigration. Being in Business, if you do this you will be at the head of the queue.

Baggage will be the biggest unknown. But you have until 10:15a to check your bags in with QF. Having no status with QF will slow you down, but you could reasonably be in the check-in line by 9:45a if all goes well.

This is not an easy connection, but given few other flight options I would book it personally with a reasonable amount of confidence. Just understand that if you miss the QF flight you may have no other options but to pay QF for a new flight or book another airline from scratch.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Seems it will be a tough connection and with no other flights later that day to get to AYQ, I have decided to change my incoming flight into Australia and will now arrive into Sydney.

Thanks
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Anyone have any experience with international-international airside transfers at ADL? I am positioning to ADL with hand baggage only coming from CX and connecting to EK. I have 2 hours which is fine for hand baggage. It appears from a few other websites that an airside transfer is possible.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
For some reason airfares into ADL are significantly less than elsewhere in Australia.

So I'm considering doing this:
* Arrive ADL 5:05pm on a Thurs in January (QR from DOH)
* separate ticket, QF ADL-MEL, depart 7:25pm

* Arrive ADL on QF from MEL (on a Tuesday in January), 5:45pm
* separate ticket, QR ADL-DOH, depart 9:50pm

I know there's always some risk to booking separate tickets, but does that sound like enough time to transit the airport, clear immigration/customs (where applicable), and make flight cutoffs?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:26 pm

It should be enough time. ADL is a pretty small operation. As you say, there are risks, but if everything is on time you shouldn't have any trouble.
aztimm likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
For some reason airfares into ADL are significantly less than elsewhere in Australia.

So I'm considering doing this:
* Arrive ADL 5:05pm on a Thurs in January (QR from DOH)
* separate ticket, QF ADL-MEL, depart 7:25pm

* Arrive ADL on QF from MEL (on a Tuesday in January), 5:45pm
* separate ticket, QR ADL-DOH, depart 9:50pm

I know there's always some risk to booking separate tickets, but does that sound like enough time to transit the airport, clear immigration/customs (where applicable), and make flight cutoffs?
Arrival
17:05 to 19:25 so 2:20hr scheduled. Not a lot of time on separate tickets with immigration, customs & quarantine. Then check-in, bag drop & security. All the times I have departed at ADL check-in, bag drop & security has been quick.
The consequences of missing the QF ADL MEL flight not that great. A new walk up ticket on QF/VA/JQ/TT as needed. Maybe a night in Adelaide if the QR flight is really late.

Departure
17:45 to 21:50 so 4:05hr scheduled. If all on time OK
QF will not interline checked baggage to QR on separate PNR (only QF to QF/EK).
But the consequences of missing the QR ADL DOH flight are high. Just depends on your risk tolerance, in late afternoon mid summer.

I would buy ADL-MEL & MEL-ADL as separate tickets and not a return. If you no show the ADL-MEL no hassle with the MEL-ADL flight. Worth booking flexible tickets and not the cheapest non-changeable.

Link---> https://www.adelaideairport.com.au/
aztimm likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 2, 2019 at 9:40 pm
Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The consequences of missing the QF ADL MEL flight not that great. A new walk up ticket on QF/VA/JQ/TT as needed. Maybe a night in Adelaide if the QR flight is really late.
As long as QF is booked (and not JQ), I would expect them to rebook the passenger on a later flight for no extra charge, considering their AA status. This isn't guaranteed, but normal practice. If these flights are full, it could be an issue, but that isn't typical.

Of course you can debate the risk but if it were me, I would not hesitate to book this ticket combination. Good advice however, to book the MEL legs individually.
aztimm likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the replies! Especially the tidbit on booking ADL-MEL/MEL-ADL on separate tickets, I hadn't even thought of that! I'll definitely do that. ^

In looking at the flight history of QR914, it seems mostly on-time. But as we know, past performance is not necessarily an indication of future results:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...100Z/OTHH/YPAD

Just for piece of mind (and the fact that most Airbnb's have a 10am check-out), I will probably just book the 1pm MEL-ADL, arriving around 2pm. I could store any bags and go into town and stretch my legs, and have a decent meal before the long flights (plus I've never been to Adelaide). It looks like there's luggage storage at the airport:
https://baggagestorage.com.au/locati...laide-airport/

For the ADL-MEL, it looks like 7:25pm is the latest QF (or any) flight out to MEL that night. If it looks like the QR flight is running very late (as in hours), I can proactively get online in Doha and look into a hotel in town and a flight the next day. It looks like QF has 8 flights/day. That would be a Friday, in January, so it is possible things could be busy, but I'll keep an eye on things and hope to grab something if needed.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
For the ADL-MEL, it looks like 7:25pm is the latest QF (or any) flight out to MEL that night. If it looks like the QR flight is running very late (as in hours), I can proactively get online in Doha and look into a hotel in town and a flight the next day. It looks like QF has 8 flights/day. That would be a Friday, in January, so it is possible things could be busy, but I'll keep an eye on things and hope to grab something if needed.
If there is any significant delay in Doha, I'd be straight away asking QR to rebook me on the MEL direct. There are two flights and both depart after the scheduled ADL departure. I've never flown QR but it would seem like a reasonable request and if there are seats I don't see why they'd have an issue with it. This is another good reason to book the domestic legs separately.
aztimm and Mwenenzi like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:38 pm

Almost forgot about this one...

As it worked out, the guy sitting in front of me on the QR flight was doing the same thing, he was on my same QF flight ADL-MEL (in coach), so we went through the process together. He was flying QR LHR-DOH-ADL, and he also said that QR had less expensive business fares into ADL than elsewhere in Australia.

From QR aircraft through Australian immigration and customs (even with a checked bag) we made it out into the airport in about 15 minutes. They were funneling everyone to the e-gates, and that worked well for me, and my bag was one of the first out. The overall immigration and customs experience at ADL was similar to what I experienced at AUS (I prefer using secondary ports of entry when I can).
We asked about getting on the earlier QF flight (it was due to leave ADL at about 6:20pm), but it was oversold (we would have had plenty of time).
Our flight (7:20pm) wad delayed and left at about 8:15pm. Had no issues at all, spent some time in the Qantas lounge, which was surprisingly large for the city and airport (I'd compare ADL similar size as AUS but the QF lounge was probably 5x or even larger than the size of the AA lounge at AUS).

I'd definitely do this routing again if the price was right.
Mwenenzi, CPMaverick and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am doing SIN-ADL-SYD SQ/VA (award ticket and that is the inventory they have). So, it is overnight to ADL and a 5.5 hour wait at ADL. I am Gold on United so I think I get some Gold benefits on VA.

Questions:

1 - should I try to make it into the city for a quick look? I have never been there.
2 - If yes, what is the one or two things I should see?
3 - There are supposed to be showers at the airport but I can't find detailed information (hours, cost)

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.