Old Jul 28, 2023, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi

Auckland airport web site

AKL terminals
The AKL international and domestic terminals are a distance apart. Can take the free inter terminal bus or walk the line
Link--> Travel between terminals
A free terminal transfer bus service operates every 15 minutes between the international and domestic terminalsThe bus operates 5am - 11pm daily and takes approximately ten minutes to travel between terminals.
International terminal: The bus leaves from the forecourt outside Door 8.
Domestic terminal: The bus leaves outside Door 2 at bus stop C.

Alternatively, stretch your legs and get some fresh air by taking our inter-terminal walkway between the two terminal buildings. The walkway is indicated by a green line painted on the footpath and is approximately a 10-minute walk.
AKL transport to/from
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/transport
The AKL web site does not list all transport options.

Is the paid yellow bus to some airport hotels .
New Zealand owned and operated, The Yellow Bus is an exclusive hotel-airport-hotel transfer service now operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This services calls on the various hotels approximately every 25 minutes during peak hours and every 50 minutes outside the peak. We are focussed on high levels of customer contact/service and well-articulate and professional driver
AKL airport lounges
The AKL web site does not list any airline operated lounges options. Only the AKL operated Strata Lounge.
Are no international arrival lounges.
International arrivals and departures are physically separate

Airport Hotels
AKL web site for 2 hotels https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/in.../accommodation
Novotel and Pullman are across a road : 2~3 minutes walk from international terminal.
FT thread-->Pullman Auckland Airport (opened Dec-2023)
FT thread-->Novotel Auckland Airport
Are other hotels in the immediate area that can be accessed by yellow bus or taxi/uber

Print Wikipost

Airport info Auckland (AKL) - amenities, transfers, transport

Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
HI. I'm arriving to AKL at 5:30AM on Sat April 14th on Air NZ and want to catch a domestic transfer to WEL at 7:30AM
Separate ticket (Jetstar)
No checked bags

Will I be cutting it close or should I be okay?
Is Jetstar likely to bump me to the next flight if I miss the connection or will I have to purchase a new ticket?

thanks
G
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegingninj
HI. I'm arriving to AKL at 5:30AM on Sat April 14th on Air NZ and want to catch a domestic transfer to WEL at 7:30AM
Separate ticket (Jetstar)
No checked bags

Will I be cutting it close or should I be okay?

Is Jetstar likely to bump me to the next flight if I miss the connection or will I have to purchase a new ticket?
1. That's close. If the oncoming flight is late you are toast
It is 12-15 minutes walking/bus between international & domestic terminals

2. JQ bump you to next flight:- you must be joking
JQ are Low cost carrier and go by the rules. You would need to buy a new ticket
Look at a NZ (or JQ) ticket with flexibility. You pay for that, but less than a 100% new ticket.

You do not have a connection. A connection is generally considered between separate flights on the same ticket/PNR
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
1. That's close. If the oncoming flight is late you are toast
It is 12-15 minutes walking/bus between international & domestic terminals

2. JQ bump you to next flight:- you must be joking
JQ are Low cost carrier and go by the rules. You would need to buy a new ticket
Look at a NZ (or JQ) ticket with flexibility. You pay for that, but less than a 100% new ticket.

You do not have a connection. A connection is generally considered between separate flights on the same ticket/PNR
Ha, thank you for the quick and detailed reply. Yes, I realize with two separate tickets I have no safety net - I guess I have such a positive impression of all things NZ I was imagining JQ saying "No Worries" at me showing up late and putting me on the next flight I am familiar with the flexible tickets, the point of this post was to clarify If I would need one which it's now apparent I do. Thanks Again!
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Does anyone have recent experience with the showers in the Strata Lounge? Good for cleanup before late-night flight.

Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by 747FC
Does anyone have recent experience with the showers in the Strata Lounge? Good for cleanup before late-night flight.

Thanks.
I am in the loung now. Showers are awful, doubling as bathrooms for the masses. It is private, but not cleaned between users.

So so glad we changed our plans and showered at our hotels spa prior to departing for the airport.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:19 am
Suspended

Hi all Kiwi expert, I would like to ask some international transfer related questions:

If I fly Air China arrive to AKL at 17:30 and self connect to China Airlines departs at 19:30 to BNE, would that be too close to comfort?

I intend to not check-in any luggage thus hand luggage only. Would I be able to use International Transfer desk to obtain boarding pass? Would that make a difference if I take the 19:30 Air NewZealand SYD flight?

By the way, anyone knows which airline can use the international transfer desk? Some course said Air NewZealand only, but apparently it is not the case. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:16 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by chongcao
Hi all Kiwi expert, I would like to ask some international transfer related questions:

If I fly Air China arrive to AKL at 17:30 and self connect to China Airlines departs at 19:30 to BNE, would that be too close to comfort?

I intend to not check-in any luggage thus hand luggage only. Would I be able to use International Transfer desk to obtain boarding pass? Would that make a difference if I take the 19:30 Air NewZealand SYD flight?

By the way, anyone knows which airline can use the international transfer desk? Some course said Air NewZealand only, but apparently it is not the case. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.
If on separate tickets, there is some risk of misconnection and no protection from the airlines.

2 hours is probably okay if on same ticket. CI may be the last flight of the night to BNE (either directly or indirectly via SYD/MEL), so any misconnect may mean an overnight in AKL.

Only some airlines use the international transfer desk - for the rest you get boarding pass at the gate (usually manned about an hour before departure).
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
If on separate tickets, there is some risk of misconnection and no protection from the airlines.

2 hours is probably okay if on same ticket. CI may be the last flight of the night to BNE (either directly or indirectly via SYD/MEL), so any misconnect may mean an overnight in AKL.

Only some airlines use the international transfer desk - for the rest you get boarding pass at the gate (usually manned about an hour before departure).
Thank you Kiwi Flyer. It is a pity that there is no information about which airline operate in transfer desk.

You mentioned get boarding pass at the gate, how does that work? Can you go to the transfer area and security check without a bp? Or you mean you can get a BP on the gate of arrival?

I guess my best bet is to see if China Airlines have mobile boarding pass and get it that way.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by chongcao
Thank you Kiwi Flyer. It is a pity that there is no information about which airline operate in transfer desk.

You mentioned get boarding pass at the gate, how does that work? Can you go to the transfer area and security check without a bp? Or you mean you can get a BP on the gate of arrival?

I guess my best bet is to see if China Airlines have mobile boarding pass and get it that way.
I will try and remember to take a look when I go past the transfer desk later today.

No boarding pass needed to clear international transfer security. They might ask for an itinerary or e-ticket.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:01 am
Suspended

I will try and remember to take a look when I go past the transfer desk later today.

No boarding pass needed to clear international transfer security. They might ask for an itinerary or e-ticket.
Wowwww that is something I did not know. Thank you a million.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

On my way through last night I checked at the AKL international transfer desk.

Confirming China Airlines does use the transfer desk.

The airlines which only do boarding passes at the gate are Jetstar, Virgin Australia and Qatar. The rest have a number to call. There is usually someone from Air NZ at the desk at all times (before NZ departures). The other airlines will only have someone there before their flight but all are contactable by a phone on the wall.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:15 pm

I have a 4 and a half hour stopover between 2 flights in Auckland (Australia -> Auckland -> USA), arriving Auckland in the late afternoon. I don't need a visa for NZ.

Is there anything interesting that one could do at the airport or the immediate vicinity in around 2 - 2 1/2 hrs ? I wouldn't have an NZ SIM, so Uber is out, and not willing to spend for a cab. But I'm willing to take a quick mass transit connection to an interesting part of town, walk around for 20-30 minutes, then come back to the airport again. A bus ride with some nice views would be OK even if there's very little time for walking around.

Thanks !
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prancer
I have a 4 and a half hour stopover between 2 flights in Auckland (Australia -> Auckland -> USA), arriving Auckland in the late afternoon. I don't need a visa for NZ.

Is there anything interesting that one could do at the airport or the immediate vicinity in around 2 - 2 1/2 hrs ? I wouldn't have an NZ SIM, so Uber is out, and not willing to spend for a cab. But I'm willing to take a quick mass transit connection to an interesting part of town, walk around for 20-30 minutes, then come back to the airport again. A bus ride with some nice views would be OK even if there's very little time for walking around.
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/transport

https://www.skybus.co.nz/

Villa Maria Wineary is close. A shortish taxi/uber ride away.
https://www.villamariawines.com/wine...vineyard-cafe/
florin likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:56 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Prancer

Thanks !
There's no point going into the city - at that hour of day you'll spend a significant portion of your time on the bus or cab to & from the airport.
Prancer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:36 am

There's no point going into the city - at that hour of day you'll spend a significant portion of your time on the bus or cab to & from the airport.
I am even willing to pay just for a bus ride (but not a train ride) to and from the city assuming the ride gives a litle glimpse of Auckland and the areas around. It may be a long time before I am in Auckland again, so willing to settle for that. Even stepping out at the destination, walking around for 10 minutes and catching the next bus back would be OK with me.

Can I get that from Skybus ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.