Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2023, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi

Auckland airport web site

AKL terminals
The AKL international and domestic terminals are a distance apart. Can take the free inter terminal bus or walk the line
Link--> Travel between terminals
A free terminal transfer bus service operates every 15 minutes between the international and domestic terminalsThe bus operates 5am - 11pm daily and takes approximately ten minutes to travel between terminals.
International terminal: The bus leaves from the forecourt outside Door 8.
Domestic terminal: The bus leaves outside Door 2 at bus stop C.

Alternatively, stretch your legs and get some fresh air by taking our inter-terminal walkway between the two terminal buildings. The walkway is indicated by a green line painted on the footpath and is approximately a 10-minute walk.
AKL transport to/from
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/transport
The AKL web site does not list all transport options.

Is the paid yellow bus to some airport hotels .
New Zealand owned and operated, The Yellow Bus is an exclusive hotel-airport-hotel transfer service now operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This services calls on the various hotels approximately every 25 minutes during peak hours and every 50 minutes outside the peak. We are focussed on high levels of customer contact/service and well-articulate and professional driver
AKL airport lounges
The AKL web site does not list any airline operated lounges options. Only the AKL operated Strata Lounge.
Are no international arrival lounges.
International arrivals and departures are physically separate

Airport Hotels
AKL web site for 2 hotels https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/in.../accommodation
Novotel and Pullman are across a road : 2~3 minutes walk from international terminal.
FT thread-->Pullman Auckland Airport (opened Dec-2023)
FT thread-->Novotel Auckland Airport
Are other hotels in the immediate area that can be accessed by yellow bus or taxi/uber

Print Wikipost

Airport info Auckland (AKL) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by mmack
Now United says 1 hour 10 min connecting time ? All one PNR. I s it safe? And, I realize times will probably change before October
If the ticket is on United and the schedule has changed, see if the new SFO-BNE direct flight is operating on the same day.

A schedule change means you can call and ask for a new itinerary. They won't always agree, but in this case it seems likely that they'd move you to a direct if available.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
I would like the experts to comment on the following: flying CHC-AKL on Air New Zealand, and then connecting to our international departure, on separate tickets. Looking at arriving AKL at 10:30 am and our international departure is at 14:00, giving us 3.5 hours to make the domestic => international transit. The international leg is in J (Fiji Airways) so I'm expecting faster check-in (and security?). Does this seem reasonable? We both would have no issues walking with baggage on the domestic-international walkway.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mangoMan
I would like the experts to comment on the following: flying CHC-AKL on Air New Zealand, and then connecting to our international departure, on separate tickets. Looking at arriving AKL at 10:30 am and our international departure is at 14:00, giving us 3.5 hours to make the domestic => international transit. The international leg is in J (Fiji Airways) so I'm expecting faster check-in (and security?). Does this seem reasonable? We both would have no issues walking with baggage on the domestic-international walkway.
If no delay should be OK. You can also take the free bus instead of walking the line.
An earlier flight will give you more margin. But FJ check-in may only open 3:00hr before the flight.

Looking at AKL departures for today https://www.auckland-airport.net/akl...national?tp=12
12:40 AA034 DFW
12:45 NZ105 SYD
13:35 QF144 SYD
13:35 NZ125 MEL
14:10 FJ410 NAN
14:50 UA916 SFO
15:15 SQ286 SIN
Most of above are wide body aircraft. Loads in & out of NZ and domestic NZ are currently reported as high.
So a busy time about the time you arrive. Security & emigration will be busy. '
On your day of travel flights may/will be different.

Looking at FJ in the next few weeks they fly from CHC on Tuesdays only. That may change.
mangoMan likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 3, 2022 at 5:01 pm
Old Nov 5, 2022, 5:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by mangoMan
On separate tickets I'd allow more time. Flights are really full at the moment, and NZ still struggling with enough staff to operate all scheduled flights. If your flight from chc is cancelled you may not get on another flight for several hours or even next day.
mangoMan likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Thanks Kiwi Flyer and Mwenenzi. We are now going to look into a shift in our itinerary such that we put our Auckland visit at the end of our itinerary (it was at the beginning before). That way we'll fly CHC-AKL a couple days earlier and spend a couple nights in Auckland before our international flight.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
AKL lounges?

We have a 4 hour layover in AKL in February. United J SFO-AKL, connecting to Air NZ AKL-CHC. Is there a lounge with showers available to us? If it matters, I am United 1K but partner and kids have no status, and partner and I have Priority Pass. On AKL airport website they just show the Strata lounge for international departures.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frmnj
We have a 4 hour layover in AKL in February. United J SFO-AKL, connecting to Air NZ AKL-CHC. Is there a lounge with showers available to us? If it matters, I am United 1K but partner and kids have no status, and partner and I have Priority Pass. On AKL airport website they just show the Strata lounge for international departures.
Been to NZ before?
You will not have access to the air side international departure lounges. The AKL web site is very poor on lounge listings
You need to make you way from international to domestic terminal by bus or walking
Only hope is the Air NZ domestic lounge
https://www.airnewzealand.com.au/dom...unge-directory
No idea on guesting by Star Alliance Gold (UA 1K). Very small kids may be OK. Big kids may get treated as normal guest

Edit 1
Years ago I was allowed Air NZ domestic lounge entry after a trans Tasman international Air NZ J flight.
Keep your J boarding passes

Edit 2
https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
Star Alliance Gold Customers travelling in any class of travel
As a Star Alliance Gold customer travelling in any class on a Star Alliance member airline operated flight, you have access to any member airline lounge at the airport where your flight departs, if the following conditions are met:
  • You present your boarding pass of a Star Alliance member airline operated flight which departs at the same day as your visit or latest by 05:00 AM the next morning.
  • If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need to also show your valid Star Alliance Gold card.
  • The lounge displays the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.
You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day. As of May 3, 2021, the guest must be traveling on the same flight.

If you are a United MileagePlus Star Alliance Gold customer, you may only access the United Clubs within the U.S. when departing from that airport on an international Star Alliance flight, not when departing on a domestic flight with United.
frmnj likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 22, 2022 at 1:31 pm
Old Dec 3, 2022, 10:15 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thanks. Looks like AKL has 2 Air NZ lounges. Based on the Star Alliance policy I think I will be able to guest my partner in, and the kids should be admitted based on their policy of admitting upto 3 children under the age of 3. Any idea which of the lounges is better? First time in AKL / NZ, so trying to figure out the best situation for four hours after 24 hours (EWR-SFO-AKL) of flying with kids. Would have booked a hotel if they had one in the airport, but looks like there is none inside.

Regional: https://www.airnewzealand.com.au/reg...ctory#auckland
Domestic: https://www.airnewzealand.com.au/dom...ctory#auckland

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Been to NZ before?
You will not have access to the air side international departure lounges. The AKL web site is very poor on lounge listings
You need to make you way from international to domestic terminal by bus or walking
Only hope is the Air NZ domestic lounge
https://www.airnewzealand.com.au/dom...unge-directory
No idea on guesting by Star Alliance Gold (UA 1K). Very small kids may be OK. Big kids may get treated as normal guest

Edit 1
Years ago I was allowed Air NZ domestic lounge entry after a trans Tasman international Air NZ J flight.
Keep your J boarding passes

Edit 2
https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
Old Dec 3, 2022, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Looks like AKL has 2 Air NZ lounges. Based on the Star Alliance policy I think I will be able to guest my partner in, and the kids should be admitted based on their policy of admitting upto 3 children under the age of 3. Any idea which of the lounges is better? First time in AKL / NZ, so trying to figure out the best situation for four hours after 24 hours (EWR-SFO-AKL) of flying with kids. Would have booked a hotel if they had one in the airport, but looks like there is none inside.

Lounges are for departures. Flying to CHC will have access to main domestic lounge
Regional (smaller lounge) is for flights generally with prop aircraft (not jets)

Novatel AKL airport is *at* the airport. Walk across the road - 2 minutes
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/in.../accommodation
https://all.accor.com/hotel/7485/index.en.shtml
Located outside the international terminal, Novotel Auckland Airport Hotel takes the stress out of layovers and business trips while offering the highest standard in comfort and hotel amenities
<snip>
AUCKLAND INTERNATIONAL
Int. airport 1 - full name
850 m / 0.5 mi 2 min walk / 1 min drive

AUCKLAND DOMESTIC
Domestic airport 1 - IATA code
1.5 km / 0.9 mi 15 min walk / 4 min drive
In AU/NZ Accor probably the biggest hotel chain

All the best for your time in NZ
frmnj likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 3, 2022 at 11:07 pm
Old Dec 9, 2022, 5:22 pm

I know with AirNZ Status kids are allowed in on top of the 1 guest. Not sure if they extend that to all *A Gold or not.

You pick the domestic or regional lounge based on if you flight is on a turbofan or a turboprop. Turboprops don't have security so the lounge is before security and turbofans have security so the domestic lounge is after security.

Also depending on the day/time or the flight, they may have the sign out front restricting guest and evouchers, from being able to enter, etc
frmnj likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 1:27 am

One tip for travelers arriving into Auckland with checked baggage: I'd invest in an AirTag (or equivalent tracking device). When we were there in December, our bag never made it onto our original flight. When it arrived the next day, the lost baggage counter was overwhelmed with people waiting for multiple hours. Originally the staff mentioned that they couldn't find our bag in the system and to come back the next day even though the United app said that the bag was there. The AirTag (and some persistence) helped convince them to look again and find our bags. Some people had been coming in for days and not getting anywhere with the staff.

There were a bunch of local news articles that were highlighting the large mountain of lost bags + staffing shortage at Auckland, which was leading to the situation.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
AKL customs clearance

Hi there flyertalk hive mind,

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post - I just wanted some expertise from any Kiwis about Auckland airport customs, but feel free to tell me to delete (or where is best to post) if I have got this incorrect.

I have a biz CX flight that arrives AKL 11:55am, and then my onward flight to PPT is at 3:30pm with Air Tahiti Nui. I booked this latter flight through Qantas, but it is a separate ticket to the CX flight from HKG. I spoke with Cathay and they said they would not be able to check my bags through.

If someone could help with this question, I'd be very grateful: is 3hrs 30mins enough time to clear customs, collect luggage and then re-check-in for the AKL-PPT flight? I am a UK passport holder, which I hope make immigration a bit smoother. If it's too tight, I need to see if I can change my flight to the day before or only go with hand luggage. I'm not sure if there are any additional checks at AKL which may significantly slow the customs clearance process.

Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2023, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
If its on-time you will have zero issues. There aren't a lot of international departures in the middle of the day from AKL compared to late evening-it will be easy even with a slight delay.
trooper and samadeus like this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 10:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Thank you DLATL777!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.