Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2023, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi

Auckland airport web site

AKL terminals
The AKL international and domestic terminals are a distance apart. Can take the free inter terminal bus or walk the line
Link--> Travel between terminals
A free terminal transfer bus service operates every 15 minutes between the international and domestic terminalsThe bus operates 5am - 11pm daily and takes approximately ten minutes to travel between terminals.
International terminal: The bus leaves from the forecourt outside Door 8.
Domestic terminal: The bus leaves outside Door 2 at bus stop C.

Alternatively, stretch your legs and get some fresh air by taking our inter-terminal walkway between the two terminal buildings. The walkway is indicated by a green line painted on the footpath and is approximately a 10-minute walk.
AKL transport to/from
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/transport
The AKL web site does not list all transport options.

Is the paid yellow bus to some airport hotels .
New Zealand owned and operated, The Yellow Bus is an exclusive hotel-airport-hotel transfer service now operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This services calls on the various hotels approximately every 25 minutes during peak hours and every 50 minutes outside the peak. We are focussed on high levels of customer contact/service and well-articulate and professional driver
AKL airport lounges
The AKL web site does not list any airline operated lounges options. Only the AKL operated Strata Lounge.
Are no international arrival lounges.
International arrivals and departures are physically separate

Airport Hotels
AKL web site for 2 hotels https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/in.../accommodation
Novotel and Pullman are across a road : 2~3 minutes walk from international terminal.
FT thread-->Pullman Auckland Airport (opened Dec-2023)
FT thread-->Novotel Auckland Airport
Are other hotels in the immediate area that can be accessed by yellow bus or taxi/uber

Print Wikipost

Airport info Auckland (AKL) - amenities, transfers, transport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:26 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Prancer
I am even willing to pay just for a bus ride (but not a train ride) to and from the city assuming the ride gives a litle glimpse of Auckland and the areas around. It may be a long time before I am in Auckland again, so willing to settle for that. Even stepping out at the destination, walking around for 10 minutes and catching the next bus back would be OK with me.

Can I get that from Skybus ?
The first half of the trip is motorway, with not much view. Then suburbia. Nice views at the top of the ridge immediately before CBD - but only lasts a minute or two. Then CBD. So yes, provides a snapshot of variety of parts of Auckland. Mostly not unique to Auckland.

To see the bits that are uniquely Auckland need more time (or lots more cost). E.g. walk up Mt Eden. Ferry to Waiheke Island and explore. Go up the sky tower.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The first half of the trip is motorway, with not much view. Then suburbia. Nice views at the top of the ridge immediately before CBD - but only lasts a minute or two. Then CBD. So yes, provides a snapshot of variety of parts of Auckland. Mostly not unique to Auckland.

To see the bits that are uniquely Auckland need more time (or lots more cost). E.g. walk up Mt Eden. Ferry to Waiheke Island and explore. Go up the sky tower.
Are you saying that if I'm willing to spend more money, I can get to see a little more of Auckland even in that short time ? I know it's very little time, but I may not be in Auckland again for many, many years so I may even be willing to take a cab into Auckland along a scenic route.

Last edited by Prancer; Mar 16, 2019 at 7:02 am
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Prancer
Are you saying that if I'm willing to spend more money, I can get to see a little more of Auckland even in that short time ? I know it's very little time, but I may not be in Auckland again for many, many years so I may even be willing to take a cab into Auckland along a scenic route.
Your limited time is the biggest constraint. If you take a cab to sky tower (quicker than the bus) you would have enough time to go up it and see over the city. Cost is higher because cab is more expensive than the airport bus, plus the cost of admission to the observation levels of the sky tower.
Prancer likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Akl transfer w/ wheelchair

Will be arriving Akl at 8:55 Ua 917. Will need to transfer to domestic to catch NZ to CHC. Will have a lot of checked luggage and I will need a wheelchair and pusher. Ua wants to book a 2:05 connection. Seems tight to me. Any experience with wheelchair help?
Old Jun 8, 2022, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Been to AKL before? The international & domestic terminals are some distance apart
https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/tr...r-terminal-bus
Old Jun 8, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by hawkxp
Will be arriving Akl at 8:55 Ua 917. Will need to transfer to domestic to catch NZ to CHC. Will have a lot of checked luggage and I will need a wheelchair and pusher. Ua wants to book a 2:05 connection. Seems tight to me. Any experience with wheelchair help?
You might be able to get the airline to arrange a wheelchair - which will have a 50/50 chance of actually being there when you arrive - to meet you at the gate and take you through to baggage claim, but the odds on someone pushing you and someone else to deal with your luggage for the intl to domestic transfer is exactly zero. It's simply not a thing the airlines do in NZ. You're expected to be able to arrange all/any warm bodies needed to do that part.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 3:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by hawkxp
I'd look for a longer connection. Health document checks on arrival are slow. If you are unlucky with one or more flights landed just before you there will be a long wait. Can easily take an hour or more just for that step. Although maybe being in a wheelchair it may be quicker since not the main queue.

Currently have to take a bus to get between international and domestic terminals as the pedestrian path is closed for construction works. I assume the transfer bus has wheelchair access.

As for wheelchair being ready at the gate on arrival, this could be hit and miss. For a recent departure there was someone waiting for wheelchair to arrive when I boarded, approx 60 minutes after the aircraft had pulled into the gate. There are massive staff shortages at the airport at the moment due to covid.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Transit in AKL? We’ll flying SFO to BNE on United/ Air New Zealand in October.
do we stay in the international terminal?
what security do we go through? Is 2 hours enough?
thanks
Old Jul 31, 2022, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmack
Transit in AKL? We’ll flying SFO to BNE on United/ Air New Zealand in October.
Do we stay in the international terminal?
What security do we go through? Is 2 hours enough?
So SFO-AKL-BNE. All in 1 ticket/PNR?
If all 1 ticket/PNR
  • you stay airside
  • will be transit security. At airports in NZ (and AU) international arrivals and departures are physically separate
  • if sold as 1 ticket the airlines have established 2:00hrs is OK
Check the NZ govt requirements for transit. But they may change between now and Oct.
-->https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...sit-passengers

UA also fly to SYD & MEL, and are starting a SFO-BNE service in Oct 2023
--->United Announces SFO-Brisbane (BNE), Australia

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 31, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I'd look for a longer connection. Health document checks on arrival are slow. If you are unlucky with one or more flights landed just before you there will be a long wait. Can easily take an hour or more just for that step. Although maybe being in a wheelchair it may be quicker since not the main queue.

Currently have to take a bus to get between international and domestic terminals as the pedestrian path is closed for construction works. I assume the transfer bus has wheelchair access.

As for wheelchair being ready at the gate on arrival, this could be hit and miss. For a recent departure there was someone waiting for wheelchair to arrive when I boarded, approx 60 minutes after the aircraft had pulled into the gate. There are massive staff shortages at the airport at the moment due to covid.
This info is out of date. No health document checks on arrival.

The walkway between international and domestic terminals has just reopened.

However the airport and airlines remain very short staffed so many delays and cancellations.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The walkway between international and domestic terminals has just reopened.
Did they repaint the line?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If all 1 ticket/PNR
  • you stay airside
  • will be transit security. At airports in NZ (and AU) international arrivals and departures are physically separate
Check the NZ govt requirements for transit. But they may change between now and Oct.

Thanks and Mahalo
Old Aug 1, 2022, 1:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Did they repaint the line?
I haven't walked it yet since reopening but understand route is slightly changed and more of the walkway is covered.

It was closed for construction in one of the carparks that it used to pass through.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:06 pm

One hour?

If all 1 ticket/PNR
  • you stay airside

Now United says 1 hour 10 min connecting time ? All one PNR. I s it safe? And, I realize times will probably change before October
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmack
If all 1 ticket/PNR
  • you stay airside

Now United says 1 hour 10 min connecting time ? All one PNR. Is it safe? And, I realize times will probably change before October
The airline have a determined MCT (minimum connection time). Which can be less than SCT (sensible connection time). Compared to large USA airports AKL is small.
Is for the airlines to sort out later. As 1 ticket/PNR is not your problem:- the airlines problem.
As you noted schedules for UA & NZ may change in the coming months. Daylight savings start in NZ 25 Sept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.