Fiji Island Choice, etc.

Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Question Fiji Island Choice, etc.

I was looking for any threads focused on Fiji and island/ resort choices but I haven't found any in much detail.

Planning a relaxing trip to Fiji for a week in mid November. Can anyone point me towards a thread/ other reliable online websites which are a good start to planning the holiday?

Obviously it seems like Nadi is the most popular island, with all the popular chain resorts but can it also be used as a base to travel there to some of the other islands for daytrips? We would rather not have to change hotels I think.

Also, any good car rental services for the island?

Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Budget?

What is it you want to do? Beach/chill/luxury? Active?

Many of the smaller islands are dedicated resorts, no roads... first figure out what the budget is, what style of vacation you want and then see if a car is needed...

GL
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:22 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Budget is definitely a gating factor, Laucala for example is USD 6000 per day for their cheapest accom. Lots of other choices down to under $100 per day but the experience varies. Fiji is well covered in the guide books (fodors, frommers, etc) so not hard to get info though it changes quickly every few years. I chose Denerau and quite liked it though it is not "the real fiji" (more like waikiki) but has a lot going for it. Day trips to a few islands is possible, but most are too far and expensive to get to (few thousand dollars for a charter plane, for example) if you want day trip. For Denerau there is an island (uninhabited) at the other side of the channel, 5 min boat ride away (free from my resort which was the Westin, imagine similar from other resorts).
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Bula. There is no island called "Nadi", which is the name of Fiji's west coast and international aerial port of entry (pronounced "NAN-Dee", just south of Lautoka on the map below) on the island of Viti Levu (Big Fiji) (Suva is the capital). The budget accommodations might best be found on Viti Levu, though there are some on Taveuni and Kadavu, though these are more targeted at scuba divers.

The only way you can make day trips to most of the other islands is by flying (from Nadi or Suva). I don't think you have an idea of the size and scope of the Fiji island chain. I'd concentrated on the Mamanuca (pronounced "mama-NOO-thuh", th as in tooth) islands, easy to get to from Nadi / Lautoka and offering a wide variety of resorts and island accommodation from backpacker to ritzy. For a more typical Fiji island experience than the pricey resort Denarau island, I think Mamanuca would do. Check Trip Advisor and the official Fiji tourism website: http://www.fiji.travel.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 3, 2016, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by number_6
Budget is definitely a gating factor, Laucala for example is USD 6000 per day for their cheapest accom. Lots of other choices down to under $100 per day but the experience varies. Fiji is well covered in the guide books (fodors, frommers, etc) so not hard to get info though it changes quickly every few years. I chose Denerau and quite liked it though it is not "the real fiji" (more like waikiki) but has a lot going for it. Day trips to a few islands is possible, but most are too far and expensive to get to (few thousand dollars for a charter plane, for example) if you want day trip. For Denerau there is an island (uninhabited) at the other side of the channel, 5 min boat ride away (free from my resort which was the Westin, imagine similar from other resorts).
I wouldn't be staying anywhere in Fiji for $100 a day.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
I would stay at Denarau - while it's not a particularly authentic Fijian experience, any place that is, you would likely not want to stay at anyway. Port Denarau (near the bridge onto the island) is the port for the boats going to the islands of the Mamanucas or the Yasawas, and there are plenty of day trips to the islands if that's what you're after.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.