Seriously lost on what to do in Australia

Old Mar 10, 16, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Booked a glitch fare to Australia and I have no idea what to do while there.
I have 21 days and fly into brisbane.
Any help would be great.
Old Mar 10, 16, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When?
What are your interests?
Australia is big
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia
Old Mar 10, 16, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
When?
What are your interests?
Australia is big
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia
August to september

I love beach and tropical settings.
Also love good history and site seeing.
Old Mar 10, 16, 11:49 pm
Community Director

Buy a guidebook. I say this with absolutely no snark intended. You need to look at a map of Australia and start reading what there is to do in different destinations. Australia's high points tend to be along its coast, with the road from Adelaide to Darwin thru the Outback the exception. You'll want to decide where to focus. The activities you like will heavily influence where you spend your time.
Old Mar 11, 16, 12:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Dive the Great Barrier Reef.
Visit Uluru.
Go to an opera in Sydney.
Sprinkle salt on a Tasmanian Devil's tail.
Old Mar 11, 16, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
While you're waiting for your guidebook to arrive, you can take a look at my Australia photos here:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Australia

Old Mar 11, 16, 2:03 am
Community Director

That's a mesmerizing picture, Tom. I didn't think visiting a red rock would be a great travel experience, but it was. In fact, I went a second time with my husband so he would have that experience.
Old Mar 11, 16, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I've been out there twice, too, most recently at OzFest in 2014. My first time out there, during backpacker days, I arrived without accommodations and ended up sleeping in a picnic area at the caravan park with another traveler from the U.S. The park owners would not take a cent from me after lending me a pillow and blanket for the night. Was able to move over to the YHA the second night.
Old Mar 11, 16, 6:13 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
You could hire a pro to collaborate with you.

August/September is off season with it being winter, so the crowds will be less and prices lower. It might be rainy at times, but in general, the weather should be mild and pleasant. It would be a great time to go to the Outback and do things like hiking, that are hard to do in the summer because of heat. Lizard Island is pretty amazing for staying on the reef. You have plenty of time to do and see a lot,
Old Mar 11, 16, 9:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I've been to Sydney (bridge climb is fun, opera house tour pretty interesting), Melbourne (great ocean road was highlight as was street art), Tasmania -Hobart (MONA is a must), Perth (Rottnest Island) and then all wine regions if you have an interest - Margaret River (Perth), Yarra Valley (Melbourne), Hunter Valley (Sydney). The Great Barrier Reef is gorgeous. Australia 21 days gives you a good time to explore many regions - I have some (not all yet) posts from my Aussie trips on philatravelgirl blog http://philatravelgirl.com/category/travel-2/australia/

As mentioned above you can use an expert travel advisor to plan the trip/tours/etc. depending on budget. Australia is easy to travel solo and one of my favorite countries

There are many Aussie travel bloggers to google and read to help also - have fun!
Old Mar 20, 16, 6:11 am

If you are flying into brisbane, I highly recommend driving north to hervey bay and visiting fraser island. Take the humvee tour either private or shared with another couple.
Old Mar 22, 16, 6:41 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
That time of year is good to drive up the coast of Queensland. I'd recommend getting a car or caravan and going from Brisbane to Cairns. Very beachy, tropical, and fun the whole drive.

Then maybe fly to Darwin, that is a great time to see the 'top end.' Darwin has an amazing WWII history and world-beating national parks.

Of course stop by Sydney or Melbourne before you fly back because you must see these cities, but this isn't the best time for the southern end.
Old Mar 22, 16, 7:57 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
I sure hope you considered how much you'd spend in three weeks in Australia when you saved on that glitch fare! Even with the decent exchange rate at the moment, Australia is not a cheap country.

Plenty of people have already mentioned some good suggestions for Australia, but with three weeks you should definitely consider taking a side trip to New Zealand as well.