Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easter 2016: Tasmania (Australia) or South Island (New Zealand)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Easter 2016: Tasmania (Australia) or South Island (New Zealand)

I need help finalizing my Easter 2016 trip! I can't decide between an Australia-only trip or a combined Australia/NZ trip. I know that Australia is a "big country" and that you can't see even part of it in two weeks, but I am not trying to (I drove across across Australia years ago). My aim is to show my family some of the highlights on their first trip there, taking into account the weather.

We have a two-week window in March/April 2016. Dates are not ideal in terms of weather (would prefer spring or summer), but it's probably the only two-week window in the next 24 months.

Has anyone been to both Tasmania and New Zealand's South Island (ideally with kids)? Is the fall foliage in one considered better than the other? Given the weather and my kids' ages (7 and 10), which would you recommend? We would have one week.

For the other week, we will go to Sydney and the Blue Mountains.

My wife (who has never been to Australia or NZ) has the impression that it would be easier to stay in Australia. From a cost perspective, it probably would be about the same (airfares are higher to NZ but I recall NZ being cheaper than Australia).

My kids are decent hikers (no problem up to 6km and possibly up to 8-10km), and they have some outdoor camping experience. However, my kids are obviously too young to participate in any of the hard-core adventure activities around Queenstown. One of my bucket list items is to do one of the Great Walks (combined with some campervan-ing), but I am not sure if my kids are ready for that.

Lastly, I've been to the South Island and can think of plenty to do in one week, even with weather. I've never been to Tasmania but have previously tried to plan a trip there during the summer (not autumn).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:39 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Tasmania is better (and I'm a big fan of NZ South Island). Plus Hobart now has some great attractions starting with MONA (museum of old and new art) which is an astonishing museum (and quite a story behind it). Fine food, cheap compared to US, pristine hiking varying from impossibly wild to mild so should suit you. Really a unique part of the world but lacking the mountains and skiing of NZ, otherwise as good or better.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Although I am a huge advocate of NZ, I think stay in Australia and see Tasmania. You can tour the old jail - Port Arthur - and the kids can learn about the convicts creating the harbour in Hobart. The area has great food and wine for the adults. You can hike in the Cradle Mountain Wilderness and there is lots to do on the coast. You won't run out of things to do on the island.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
I'm a bit biased as I'm spending 3 weeks in Australia over Easter 2016 and went through the same dilemma and I decided to spend some time in Tasmania rather than go to South Island (I've only been to North Island on previous trips). I did lots of research on Tasmania and now I wish I had more than 5 nights to spend there! There's lots to do, and some great places to stay.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I haven't done Tasmania so can't compare but....if you say that doing one of the great walks in NZ is on your bucket list then there's a very good chance you'll get there. Even better - your kids will be older and they can come and share too. You'll have memories for a lifetime so....go Tasmania - this time.

Aim for Milford for the great walk in future, hard to get onto because everybody wants to!
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments!

Going with the consensus and have decided on Tasmania over South Island.

I will probably also cut back one day from Sydney/Blue Mountains and will now have 8-10 days in Tasmania. Had been somewhat hoping (for a miracle!) and also squeeze in Melbourne but in the interest of minimizing airfares/airport transfers and maximizing time elsewhere, it will have to wait for another trip.

Am working on a preliminary itinerary but the urgent question for airfares and car rentals is whether to do a circuit (probably from Hobart) or an open-jaw Hobart-Launceston/Devonport.

Seems Launceston/Devonport would make sense if I wanted to cut down a bit on driving, although the extra 2-3 hours driving back to Hobart is not a problem, especially if I can save on one-way drop-off fees and there are interesting stops along the way.

Based on searches of various travel magazine articles and some family-friendly blogs so far, I'm thinking

2-3 nights in Hobart (with possible day trip to Port Arthur)
1-2 nights in Maria Island
1-2 nights in Freycinet Peninsula
2 nights in Cradle Mountain NP
1 night somewhere else (preferably a town with good food)

Does this look reasonable? Any hidden gems that I am missing? Too much time along the east coast, on ferries, visiting convict sites?

Lastly, any car rental company suggestions for Tasmania?

Thanks again!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
To be honest I hate picking rental car companies so I just use vroomvroomvroom.com.au I think, or just google it. Pretty easy booking. Never had it fall through.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 4:50 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by mileagerunner
I will probably also cut back one day from Sydney/Blue Mountains and will now have 8-10 days in Tasmania. Had been somewhat hoping (for a miracle!) and also squeeze in Melbourne but in the interest of minimizing airfares/airport transfers and maximizing time elsewhere, it will have to wait for another trip.

2-3 nights in Hobart (with possible day trip to Port Arthur)
1-2 nights in Maria Island
1-2 nights in Freycinet Peninsula
2 nights in Cradle Mountain NP
1 night somewhere else (preferably a town with good food)
It's certainly possible to squeeze in Melbourne. If, as it sounds, you were hoping to do it, I'd recommend at least looking at 1-2 nights in Melbourne. It might not do the city and Victoria justice, but you can get a taste of the city (quite literally, you won't find better food anywhere in Oz )

- Fly SYD-MEL (tons of flights for plenty of schedule flexibility, and cheaper than TAS flights almost certainly)
- Spend 1 or 2 nights in the CBD, without a car. See the sights
- Take the overnight ferry MEL-Devonport, for around 500 AUD, you can take 4 people in a private cabin... not bad for transport and accommodation. https://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au/
- Get a one-way rental car Devonport-Hobart; makes for a lot less driving and you can do your above itinerary in reverse, staying on the northern coast the first night or eliminating it for a night in MEL

I quite like the Spirit of Tasmania ferry, and especially with children it adds some sense of adventure, and distance, taking a boat to the island. Leaving Port Phillip Bay is beautiful, especially if you have a day with the 19:30 departure (sunset). Just a thought.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Sep 17, 2015 at 4:57 am
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:50 am

I'd have suggested the South Island , but because you've chosen Tasmania ...

Hobart is OK, but it's essentially just another city. MONA has a well deserved reputation, but it's a long way down the list of museums you'd choose to go to with kids. For something just a little different, drive to the top of Mt Wellington - simply to take in the view.

Maria Island and Freycinet also have a well-deserved reputation, but 4 nights is a lot for remote beauty and not much to do. In saying that, a Schouten Passage boat trip would be worthwhile.

I absolutely recommend Strahan and a boat trip on Macquarie Harbour and the Gordon River. The boat ride isn't cheap, but it's incredible. Sara Island is at least as good as Port Arthur. The downside is the extra driving, but Hobart - Strahan - Cradle Mountain - Launceston is a worthwhile circuit.

Hidden gems?

If you're in the NW, visit Leven Canyon. It's a long way from nowhere, but a great walk, and a genuinely surprising outlook. If you do go, walk the track anti-clockwise - the stairs are a whole lot easier going down than up.

If you make it as far as Launceston, consider staying at Grindelwald. It's charmingly tacky, and fun for the kids. Take swimming gear.

And if you make it as far as Grindelwald, consider a visit to Narawntapu National Park - you can make it there and back easily enough if you're comfortable driving unfamiliar and unlit roads at night. Make sure you arrive late in the afternoon but before dusk, and take supplies for a bbq dinner. With 7 and 10 year old children who don't mind walking, I'd almost defy you to find a more memorable experience than cooking up dinner outdoors (at free bbq stations) with the wallabies and wombats just wandering around to see the latest humans.

Launceston has some pretty good restaurants.

I'll PM you about rental vehicles.

kbd
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:04 am
Original Poster

After months of planning, here's my final nine-day itinerary, in case it might help others.

It's true, there are so many places to see in Tasmania relative to its size. In the end, I decided to focus on seeing/experiencing Tasmania's natural wonders and historical sites. I'm spending less than two days total in Hobart and Launceston but lots of time outdoors (and in the rental car and checking into and out of lodging).

Day 0 - Evening arrival
Day 1 - Drive LST to Bay of Fires (overnight St Helens)
Day 2 - Drive St Helens to Freycinet Peninsula (overnight Bicheno/Coles Bay)
Day 3 - Drive Bicheno/Coles Bay to Triabunna (overnight Maria Island)
Day 4 - Drive Triabunna to Tasman Peninsula (overnight Eagleclaw Neck)
Day 5 - Hiking around Tasman Peninsula/Port Arthur (overnight Port Arthur)
Day 6 - Visit Hobart sights (overnight Hobart)
Day 7 - Drive Hobart to Cradle Mountain (overnight Cradle Mountain)
Day 8 - Hiking around Cradle Mountain (overnight Cradle Mountain)
Day 9 - Drive Cradle Mountain to Launceston (overnight Launceston)
Day 10 - Morning departure

Still working on restaurants...this is the part where I will miss Launceston and Hobart.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by mileagerunner
After months of planning, here's my final nine-day itinerary, in case it might help others.

It's true, there are so many places to see in Tasmania relative to its size. In the end, I decided to focus on seeing/experiencing Tasmania's natural wonders and historical sites. I'm spending less than two days total in Hobart and Launceston but lots of time outdoors (and in the rental car and checking into and out of lodging).

Day 0 - Evening arrival
Day 1 - Drive LST to Bay of Fires (overnight St Helens)
Day 2 - Drive St Helens to Freycinet Peninsula (overnight Bicheno/Coles Bay)
Day 3 - Drive Bicheno/Coles Bay to Triabunna (overnight Maria Island)
Day 4 - Drive Triabunna to Tasman Peninsula (overnight Eagleclaw Neck)
Day 5 - Hiking around Tasman Peninsula/Port Arthur (overnight Port Arthur)
Day 6 - Visit Hobart sights (overnight Hobart)
Day 7 - Drive Hobart to Cradle Mountain (overnight Cradle Mountain)
Day 8 - Hiking around Cradle Mountain (overnight Cradle Mountain)
Day 9 - Drive Cradle Mountain to Launceston (overnight Launceston)
Day 10 - Morning departure

Still working on restaurants...this is the part where I will miss Launceston and Hobart.
Good itinerary! Definitely do a little research on restaurants, and try to eat early- there are not many options in some of these areas and some of them close earlier than I expected.

Last month there was no petrol in Bicheno so make sure you are full before you leave St. Helens.

Consider seeing the penguins at Bicheno on your overnight. It is touristy but fun and a good value (plus what else do you do in Bicheno after dark! ). Book ahead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.