Best Tour Operators in Australia

Old Mar 10, 16, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: aa, delta, amex, ba

Looking for a great tour operator upscale to luxury in Australia. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 10, 16, 10:28 am

Programs: Virtuoso
Have you considered working with someone to do a custom itinerary?

If you really want to be with a group, Swain and A&K are two of the best.
Old Mar 10, 16, 6:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I use Swain for my luxury clients as I've met the Australian owner in person as he lives in the Philly area - it's family owned and his brother manages the Australia location so they are seamless in the itinerary.
Old Mar 12, 16, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl View Post
I use Swain for my luxury clients as I've met the Australian owner in person as he lives in the Philly area - it's family owned and his brother manages the Australia location so they are seamless in the itinerary.
Just had a quick squiz at a few of their Australian sample itineraries for interest's sake.

The accomodation they've listed for Cairns is not what I would call luxury at all - there's tonnes of better options available.

I presume you can upgrade to "luxury"?
Old Mar 13, 16, 8:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
I believe they use the Shangri La in Cairns as their Deluxe property. I know that Virtuoso lists Lizard Island as the luxury choice for Cairns. My last trip to Cairns was a while ago - what property do you think is most luxurious in Cairns?

Swain is customized to the client so I use website as guideline depending on budget.
Old Mar 13, 16, 9:00 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Other great companies are The Tailor, Southern World, and Southern Crossings. They are competitors with Swain, all who do great luxury itineraries. I am not sure The Tailor, SW, or SC would work with a traveler directly for an individual trip. They typically only work through travel advisors.

I don't know Cairns as well as other cities, but I know they don't have a ton of true luxury options in town itself. Lizard Island is lovely and I hear great things about Silky Oaks Lodge, which is the closet lux lodge to the city itself, I think. In town, I know they have a Sofitel, which I like personally.
Old Mar 13, 16, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl View Post
I believe they use the Shangri La in Cairns as their Deluxe property. I know that Virtuoso lists Lizard Island as the luxury choice for Cairns. My last trip to Cairns was a while ago - what property do you think is most luxurious in Cairns?

Swain is customized to the client so I use website as guideline depending on budget.
Good to hear - the sample itineraries I was looking at were listing "Cairns Colonial Club" as the accommodation which is disgraceful.