Wiki Posts
Search

Best Time of year to visit Australia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 10:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Best Time of year to visit Australia

Objectives of trip would be Sydney, GBR, Kangaroo Island, and climbing Mount Kosciuszko.

When is the best time to go? Hot weather and low rainfall are ideal.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:32 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
http://www.bom.gov.au/
Old Mar 11, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
There are significant distances between your four objectives and therefore there will be big differences in weather. Assuming you want to walk up Mount Kosciuszko you'll have to avoid austral winter / early spring, which will give you warmer temperatures for the more southern places. To definitely avoid snow you would be looking at summer, but the GBR gets much more rainfall (and the possibility of cyclones) in austral summer. You'll have to compromise somewhere.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Objectives of trip would be Sydney, GBR, Kangaroo Island, and climbing Mount Kosciuszko.

When is the best time to go? Hot weather and low rainfall are ideal.
Given the distances between the destinations getting hot weather and low rainfall will be difficult. The GBR is in the tropics so during the summer it is wet. Kangaroo Island will be hot and dry in summer. If you want to climb Mount Kosciuszko you really need to do it summer. I did it in December a few years ago. The weather was perfect but it can and does snow up there anytime of the year so make allowance for that. It's not a particularly difficult walk, I think until the early 1980's you could actually drive right to the top, but the scenery is very nice especially if the wildflowers are blooming.

Last edited by bensyd; Mar 11, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.