Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auckland logistic questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2016, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Auckland logistic questions

I'll be arriving at AKL midday and departing (a few days later) at midnight. I plan to take the shuttle bus to the city center, and stay for two nights. Then pick up a rental car in the city and drive to Coromandel Peninsula for a couple of days. And fly out without another hotel stay in Auckland. Since the departing flight is at midnight, I would like to spend the day in the city.

One option is to return the car in the city, and store my luggage for the day before heading to the airport. Is such a storage available?

Another option is to return the car at the airport, check in (or store) the luggage, and take the shuttle bus to the city center. How far ahead can I check in the luggage, on an Air New Zealand international flight? Or is there a luggage storage available at the airport?
Old Feb 27, 2016, 2:36 pm

There are coin-operated lockers in the Britomart Travel Centre on Queen Street in downtown Auckland. This is also where the "SkyBus" (formerly called "AirBus") starts its journey to the airport.

If no lockers are available when you need them or if your luggage is too big to fit, there are also several backpacker hostels within a couple of blocks. Luggage storage at hostels is a common backpackers service.

Alternatives to SkyBus from the Auckland CBD to the airport include booking a SuperShuttle, Uber or taking a taxi. However the one-way Uber or taxi fare between the city and airport is typically more than what keeping a rental car for an extra day and returning it to the airport would cost.

Here's a (year old) article on fares between Auckland and its airport:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11405449
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:56 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If you've already spent two nights in the city, perhaps it would be better to go somewhere else for the day? You'd keep the car an extra day, yes, but save a hassle and maybe see another fascinating part of NZ. Two days in Auckland city center is probably enough I think most would agree.

I might suggest driving to Piha or Karekare beach, for a much different experience to the Coromandel and worth the cost of another day's rental car...
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Quokka
There are coin-operated lockers in the Britomart Travel Centre on Queen Street in downtown Auckland. This is also where the "SkyBus" (formerly called "AirBus") starts its journey to the airport.

If no lockers are available when you need them or if your luggage is too big to fit, there are also several backpacker hostels within a couple of blocks. Luggage storage at hostels is a common backpackers service.
Thanks. SkyBus is my choice from/to the airport. So the Britomart Travel Centre should work. Also found storage at the airport as well:

http://www.baggagestorage.com.au/ind...tional-airport
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
If you've already spent two nights in the city, perhaps it would be better to go somewhere else for the day? You'd keep the car an extra day, yes, but save a hassle and maybe see another fascinating part of NZ. Two days in Auckland city center is probably enough I think most would agree.

I might suggest driving to Piha or Karekare beach, for a much different experience to the Coromandel and worth the cost of another day's rental car...
Keeping the car for an extra day is not the issue, doing that already. I'm trying to avoid driving in the dark to the airport for the midnight flight. I think spending the day in Auckland, then taking the shuttle to the airport after dinner is better than getting there early idling in the lounge for hours.

Thanks for the Piha suggestion. After some research, I will now spend time there and skip Coromandel. The area seems to be unspoiled and less touristy. Any other place along the coast for a night or two? Too bad there is no lodging at the Muriwai Beach.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:57 am

I hate driving in the dark too, but I'd rather drive in the dark on a nice highway than take a shuttle to/from the airport, especially if it meant less time out in Piha or Coromandel. I respect your decision though, if that is what you want to do. Just make sure you go mid-day, morning and afternoon traffic between AKL and the airport can be pretty bad.

The Coromandel is a big place and there is a lot to see, so hard to say if Piha is less touristy, depends on where in the Coromandel you go. But Karekare is very remote. I really enjoyed it on my visit, felt like being on Mars with the vast black beaches with nobody around.

I've never been north of Auckland but that might be an option that melds well with a Piha trip.

Good luck and enjoy NZ!
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:21 am
Original Poster

After some juggling, my plan is to stay two nights at Whitianga, followed by two nights at Piha.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by getmethere
After some juggling, my plan is to stay two nights at Whitianga, followed by two nights at Piha.
Sounds like a great plan; enjoy the north island!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.