Business Visitor/Tourist ETAs

Old Jan 15, 16, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Business Visitor/Tourist ETAs

Quick question. I'm travelling to Sydney in a couple weeks for a conference, and have gotten my Business Visitor ETA (validity 1 year). I'm also traveling to Australia in April with my fiancee, but that trip is purely for vacation. Do I need to get a tourist ETA, or am I covered under my Business Visitor ETA?

I found this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...itor-etas.html but am still a bit unclear. My apologies if another thread contains the answer or if it's obvious somewhere.

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 16, 5:45 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
I do not believe that you are allowed two simultaneous visas. I had this issue when I landed in Bali some time back and it created a headache however I would confirm with the local Embassy to be sure.
Old Jul 23, 18, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Bumping this up in case there was an answer here.

I'm in the same situation. I have a business visitor visa from traveling to Australia last December for a work conference. This upcoming September, we are passing through for a night on our honeymoon. My fiancee of course will need a visa but my business visa will still be valid. Per the email confirmation of that ETA it seems like I should be okay but wanted to see if there were any experiences:

Conditions of an ETA are:
  • It is your responsibility to know what your visa allows you to do while in Australia.
  • Once your ETA is granted you are able to enter and leave Australia as many times as you need to during a 12 month period, from the date the ETA is granted or until the expiry date of your passport, whichever is earlier.
  • You can stay in Australia for a maximum of three months on each visit.
  • You must not study for more than three months.
  • You must be free from tuberculosis.
  • You must not have any criminal convictions for which you have been sentenced for a total combined period of 12 months or more, whether or not you served the sentence/s.
  • It is illegal to work on an ETA. Whilst on an ETA you have no right to work in Australia. You may only undertake business visitor activities such as the undertaking of business enquiries and contractual negotiations or attending conferences.
Old Jul 24, 18, 6:03 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
There used to be separate ETA visas for business visitor and tourist activities. This is no longer the case.

Since March 2013 both tourist and business visitor visas are now exactly the same, subclass 601. ETA 601 "Allows a person to visit Australia as a tourist or to carry out business visitor activities such as making general business or employment enquiries, negotiations or participating in a conference."

"What an Electronic Travel Authority lets you do >> Your ETA lets you enter Australia for up to three months at a time as a tourist or for business visitor purposes."
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/601-

Because the tourist visa and business visitor visas are one and the same, there is no issue whatsoever entering as a tourist if you selected your ETA purpose as 'business' when you applied. I believe this question is only used for tracking/survey purposes. Either way the visa you receive is valid for business (in the way business is defined in the terms) or tourism.

*Note that I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.
lhrpete, bensyd and kirkwoodj like this.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jul 24, 18 at 6:09 pm
Old Jul 25, 18, 11:19 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
There used to be separate ETA visas for business visitor and tourist activities. This is no longer the case.

Since March 2013 both tourist and business visitor visas are now exactly the same, subclass 601. ETA 601 "Allows a person to visit Australia as a tourist or to carry out business visitor activities such as making general business or employment enquiries, negotiations or participating in a conference."

"What an Electronic Travel Authority lets you do >> Your ETA lets you enter Australia for up to three months at a time as a tourist or for business visitor purposes."
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/601-

Because the tourist visa and business visitor visas are one and the same, there is no issue whatsoever entering as a tourist if you selected your ETA purpose as 'business' when you applied. I believe this question is only used for tracking/survey purposes. Either way the visa you receive is valid for business (in the way business is defined in the terms) or tourism.

*Note that I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.
Ah okay cool that makes sense thank you!
Old Dec 17, 19, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / MLife Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Explorist / United Silver
Just wanted to say that I applied for one as a tourist (and checked the tourist one) and got one that says business visitor activity under visa conditions (subclass 601).
Old Dec 18, 19, 7:07 am

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by samwise6222 View Post
Just wanted to say that I applied for one as a tourist (and checked the tourist one) and got one that says business visitor activity under visa conditions (subclass 601).
Indeed, if you see my post the business visitor activity & tourist ETA have been combined into the 601.
Old Jan 13, 20, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by samwise6222 View Post
I thought I was too tired when I applied and picked the wrong one (was supposed to be tourist but it came back business). So, I guess I am not alone and will be OK

Search this Thread
Search Engine: