Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving in New Zealand - driving on the left, speeding & parking fines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by b1m9t0
If a cop nabs you at 111kph, 99 times out of 100 your own speedo is likely to be reading over 110kph so fair game. I bought my car brand new 3 months ago and I had Snapchat open (as the passenger obviously.....), swiped to the speed filter and with my speedo bang on 100 it was reading 95.6. Quite frustrating really, I would much prefer my car to go exactly what it says I'm going.

Car A could be going 99, Car B could be going 95, and both speedos read 100. 4kph is quite a big difference if you're on the motorway and potentially holding people up.
It's because tyres both wear out and sizes vary between makes and models even though the tyre spec is the same. You may not think it matters but the difference between new tyres and old tyres is 2-3 kmh at 100. So what the car manufacturer is trying to avoid is a situation where you change tyres and fit a model which is slightly larger to the extent that the actual speed is higher than the indicated speed so they all will knock the indicated speed down by a couple of percent.

None of this will make a difference to holding people up though as not everyone drives at the same speed (even on this thread you can see people saying drive 10% under the speed limit while others typically drive 5-10% over) and the easiest way to ensure you're not holding people up is to look in the mirror.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:35 am

A sight one won't soon forget!

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Wow - did not realize there could be that many sheep on the road! I saw several random one-offs where a sheep somehow was outside the fence, but only one ever had wandered onto the road.
Probably only in NZ:

https://www.facebook.com/10000633583...3627162858461/
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
We're looking at visiting New Zealand in November. While our plans are very, very preliminary, we'd probably spend ~4-5 days of it on the North Island based out of Auckland, driving as far as Lake Taupo or so. The remaining time (8-9 days) would be on the South Island (flying AKL-ZQN); destinations could include Queenstown, the glaciers, Mt. Cook, Milford Sound - the usual suspects, but we're not looking to cram in everything.

My question - what are the actual drives from place to place like? Generally open, straight two lane roads, something that would give a mountain goat nightmares, or a mix? I don't mind driving but don't particularly enjoy roads with lots of hairpins with steep dropoffs (especially exposed!), or mountain roads that are 1.5 car widths wide, forcing someone to back up on a steep incline. Are there destinations which I'd want to simply cross off the list?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JHunter
We're looking at visiting New Zealand in November. While our plans are very, very preliminary, we'd probably spend ~4-5 days of it on the North Island based out of Auckland, driving as far as Lake Taupo or so. The remaining time (8-9 days) would be on the South Island (flying AKL-ZQN); destinations could include Queenstown, the glaciers, Mt. Cook, Milford Sound - the usual suspects, but we're not looking to cram in everything.

My question - what are the actual drives from place to place like? Generally open, straight two lane roads, something that would give a mountain goat nightmares, or a mix? I don't mind driving but don't particularly enjoy roads with lots of hairpins with steep dropoffs (especially exposed!), or mountain roads that are 1.5 car widths wide, forcing someone to back up on a steep incline. Are there destinations which I'd want to simply cross off the list?
I drove Christchurch-West Coast-Queenstown-Milford Sound on South Island, and Wellington to Auckland via Rotorua/Taupo. None of them were as narrow or had a cliff drop-off relative to other spots I've driven in the U.S. It is almost all 2-lane road outside of the major cities, but you can pass and it is relatively easy driving. I would say the drives with the most switchbacks was Crown Range Road (driving from Wanaka to Queenstown) and driving on Highway 2 through the mountains from Wellington to Martinborough. Both were not that bad, though.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 1:45 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by JHunter

While there are plenty of hills and winding stretches, the main highways are generally good once you adjust to there being just one lane in each direction (except near main cities and passing areas) and no barrier in between. Some minor roads are more difficult - e.g. rental cars are not insured on Skippers Canyon Road.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
Are there any other unique differences to be aware of? You know, along the lines of like how they have turn right on red in the US.
Yes.

NZ had a bizarre, right turns have precedence rule. It's best to not try to wrap your head around it, follow it, or expect other drivers to follow it. It's a dumb rule and a dangerous one. Drivers from out of the country usually haven't heard of it and NZ drivers vary on whether they still (or ever did) observe it or not.

Edit: checking the NZ Transport Agency site, it looks like the rule was finally officially changed a couple years back. But judging by driving in NZ over the last few years ... not everyone has gotten the message / old habits die hard.

Last edited by Quokka; Feb 7, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Quokka
Yes.

NZ had a bizarre, right turns have precedence rule. It's best to not try to wrap your head around it, follow it, or expect other drivers to follow it. It's a dumb rule and a dangerous one. Drivers from out of the country usually haven't heard of it and NZ drivers vary on whether they still (or ever did) observe it or not.

Edit: checking the NZ Transport Agency site, it looks like the rule was finally officially changed a couple years back. But judging by driving in NZ over the last few years ... not everyone has gotten the message / old habits die hard.
It took some clicking at the site to find the rule code:

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/r...intersections/

What was the old "bizarre, right turns have precedence rule", and how has it been changed?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Three pages of NZ driving advice and nobody has mentioned possums?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by getmethere
What was the old "bizarre, right turns have precedence rule", and how has it been changed?
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...-changes-2012/
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:23 pm

On my first visit to NZ, someone did it to me within a minute of picking up a car at CHC airport, when I was just off a long-haul flight. Possibly my scariest driving moment. Strangely I never saw anybody else do it in the whole trip.

If driving on the west coast of the South Island, look out for the level (railroad) crossings. They are... err... interesting
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by small em
If driving on the west coast of the South Island, look out for the level (railroad) crossings. They are... err... interesting
Did you mean this, or something else?

"Dual use bridges - on some roads, particularly on State Highway 6 on the West Coast, there are combined road and rail bridges. Make sure there are no trains on or approaching these before you commit your vehicle to a crossing (trains are restricted to 10 km/h over these bridges just in case)."
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by getmethere
I plan to bring my US Garmin GPS, and wonder if I should get the free NZ Open GPS map, or pay for one. Comments on the difference (other than $), and installation, etc.?

http://nzopengps.org/
Not really necessary for south island one road in most places and we'll marked. Pick up a map and you'll be fine
Old May 9, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: BA, EK, Hilton H, Starwood, A-Club
If you're used to driving in the UK, then NZ will be a doddle. Very little traffic away from the "big" cities, driving standards higher and generally a pleasant experiance.

if you're sightseeing than the speed limit won't be an issue, and if you do get a small number of cars following pull off and enjoy the beautiful scenery. We spent 3 weeks in 2010 driving the length of NZ and loved it.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Super helpful thread!! Much appreciated.... will be in NZ next week and renting a car from Auckland to Rotorua area, and then back up to Auckland.
I've driven in Italy and France, but this will be my first time driving on the left side of the road.
And I've got a bit of a lead foot, so...I will go the limit. And remind my husband to stay the limit (or less than 4km+).
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:31 pm

The hardest thing for me was how often the speed limit changed. I've driven on the left tons of times so that was fine, but the speed limit changes so frequently. Just up and down all the time. We went though an area of construction just north of Hamilton and it felt like there was a change every 20 feet. Otherwise very easy though. Traffic wasn't bad, even in Auckland. No scary moments or confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.