Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4x4 rental - when is 4 days really 5 days?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
4x4 rental - when is 4 days really 5 days?

Quick question:

Renting a 4x4 for 4 days: pick up at 2PM, return 4 days latter at noon. So 2 hours less than 4 days

rental car company says "In Australia, all 4x4s are based on calendar days, due to the insurance policy".

I pointed out that it is 4 days, but they say the rental start day and the return day count as one each plus the three in between- so it is a 5 day rental (at AUD190 per)

Any truth to this? Ive rented 4x4s there before (Panjero), and have a booking with another company without the extra day (Landcruiser 4x4)....but they seemed adamant. Is this a junior manager just swallowing what they've been told to repeat? Or is there something unique about 4x4s or campers?

An insights?

thx
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
If you don't like the terms, just use the other company?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:45 am
Original Poster

I'm asking if there is some Australian insurance regulation, which is what the agent was stating.

Wicked Camper has the same 'calendar day based policy'

Avis, Hertz, Thrify, Budget all go by the 24 hr clock.

Finally, just curious if there is some Australia-specific thing at play, or if it is just a commercial oddity/choice these 4x4 rental places have made.

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Jan 6, 2016 at 12:22 pm
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:45 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
There is no regulation (insurance, govt or otherwise), it is just the policy of this company to offset a lower quoted daily rate in order to maintain total revenue. All the majors rent 4WD though often much more expensive than AUD 190 per day (varies by location and date) and as you note they use elapsed 24 hour day not calendar.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
There is no regulation (insurance, govt or otherwise), it is just the policy of this company to offset a lower quoted daily rate in order to maintain total revenue. All the majors rent 4WD though often much more expensive than AUD 190 per day (varies by location and date) and as you note they use elapsed 24 hour day not calendar.
Actually there are above and below the 190...but once you add 'needs a snorkel intake' and state that you want to head onto the Bloomfield track, the field of rental companies thins dramatically....

Interestingly almost all the 'camper/motor home' companies have this policy.

Also, it isnt always in the companies best interest- the renter can do better with the 'calendar day' system... Lets say I pick a car up at 8AM and return it at 5PM 5 days later. Thats 5 calendar days, but using a 24hr clock it would be 6 days.

For the companies, that unit is likely out of service for the full calendar day, so this practice may- for them- reflect the realities of the business. For the majors who deal with run-of-the-mill cars, models are fungible, and any mid-sized 4 door will do when you show up at the rental counter at 3:30PM for your pick up....but with specific motor homes, 4WDs, etc, they may need to have that unit in the prior night to finish cleaning, etc.

Again, I was just trying to see if there was some odd ins rule.

Thx!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:00 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
As you say, campers require cleaning that takes longer than a car, probably they never re-rent the same day (also because of impact of a return being late). For campers that is indeed industry practice. Also some campers are classed as commercial vehicles which would have different insurance than a car (but presume that isn't the case here).

None of the majors will rent 4WD with snorkel from what I have seen, though some have Landcruisers which are quite capable. If you do go on the Bloomfield track, consider buying a PLB! While the track is short and relatively well traveled, I wouldn't go without a beacon esp. if you think a snorkel is needed (so you aren't going in the dry?)
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

First days in april.

Depends on how wet the wet is this year, and what levels are at.

Thanks for the tip.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Also, it isnt always in the companies best interest- the renter can do better with the 'calendar day' system... Lets say I pick a car up at 8AM and return it at 5PM 5 days later. Thats 5 calendar days, but using a 24hr clock it would be 6 days.
No, that's 6 calendar days. Return it 1 day later, that's 2 calendar days. Return it 5 days later, it's 6.

Calendar days can never be less than the number of 24 hour periods. It can be the same (in your example above they are both 6 days), but never less.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

whoops. cant believe I missed that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.