Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel on Points - Australia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Best Luxury Hotel on Points - Australia

I like to use my points on luxury travel: first class seats on planes and beautiful hotels. We're headed down under in a month or so, and I was super disappointed to learn that Wolgan Valley no longer accepts Emirates Skywards redemptions.

What other beautiful, five-star luxury properties would you recommend outside of the cities where I could use my points? (We've already got a reservation at the Park Hyatt in Sydney!) Ideally rugged wilderness or beaches, but either way seclusion is a good thing for our R&R. Assume I have points in most of the major programs (or can get to them somehow). Our aim is to stay in Australia ...

I saw the Sheraton Noosa and one other SPG property, but they looked like big, not so luxurious hotels.

Anyone have any ideas of great hotel destinations on points outside of the major cities?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
No specific regions in mind? You'll go anywhere in Australia if there is a nice hotel there?

I am not sure if any of these can be booked with points as I am not familiar with every program. But here are a few you might be interested in researching:

Thorngrove Manor Hotel, near Adelaide SA
Saffire Freycinet, Tasmania
Echoes Resort, Blue Mountains NSW
Voyages Longitude 131, Ayers Rock NT
Woodbridge On The Derwent, Tasmania
Qualia Resort, Hamilton Island, QLD
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:53 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by JohnnyP
...What other beautiful, five-star luxury properties would you recommend outside of the cities where I could use my points? (We've already got a reservation at the Park Hyatt in Sydney!) Ideally rugged wilderness or beaches, but either way seclusion is a good thing for our R&R. ...
There are no top-tier resorts that are available on points in Oz; they don't need to be as they sell out (at $2000+ per night). Big drop down to what is available on points, as you've observed with the Sheraton Noosa. Easy to use points for city stays though and the PH Sydney is probably the best PH in the world. Melbourne PH is also pretty good though quite different. Accor has a couple of 4-star golf/wine resort kind of properties which are worth staying at, if you have Accor points. But none of the showpiece resorts participate in any kind of FF program
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Cant you book any hotel via AMEX Membership rewards? At 1 cent per point. 5 nights at $2k a night is just a million.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
It's not Australia, but it's close... I really liked the Le Meridien Ile de Pins in New Caledonia, which is available for SPG redemptions. Very quiet, private beach, amazing lagoon a short walk away which feels like you're swimming in an aquarium!
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Hmm ... just what I feared!

I love the Ile de Pins suggestion -- it looks like a fantastic property (although gets decidedly negative reviews on service). We'll check it out! I'm assuming it's not an easy trip from Sydney, though.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I believe there's a Qantas or Air Calin flight from Sydney to Noumea every day. On arrival, you'd need to drive for 30 odd minutes from the international to the domestic "airport" (I think they call it an air-station rather than airport!), then fly down to Ile de Pins. The Le Meridien will collect you from the airport there. You might well have to stop over in Noumea one way, due to connection timings, but that's not the end of the world unless you're really pushed for time

We didn't have any issues with the service at the LM, but it's very much a French hotel, not an American one. By French standards, we found everyone very friendly and helpful, certainly better than you'd get at most Parisian hotels, on par with most French hotels outside very large cities. However, just as with in Paris, it might be a shock if you were expecting American style fawning service...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.