FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/)
-   -   A few questions for my trip to Sydney (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/1706352-few-questions-my-trip-sydney.html)

869 Aug 29, 2015 10:08 pm

A few questions for my trip to Sydney

Hey everyone - traveling to Sydney in 3 weeks and have a number of questions as I try to nail down the details. If you have any thoughts, please chime in!

1) Any recommendations for airport transfer to hotel? Will probably book a limo and would like them to me meet us inside airport.

2) Can you recommend a tour operator for a blue mountains day trip?

3)On departure from Syd, is the Qantas F lounge far superior to the Etihad F lounge?

4)Any thoughts on a deep sea fishing charter or whale watching in late september? I haven't looked into either yet but thought I'd ask while I'm here!

5) All restaurant recommendations appreciated!

thanks in advance!

Mwenenzi Aug 29, 2015 10:22 pm

1) What hotel? Ask the hotel. Most people take a regular taxi (or the train). Limo is not a term often used in Australia.
2) Far better to do a self tour. Take the train and walk artound or rent a car locally
3) Lounge access will depend on your ticket. On what basis do you think QF or EY are options? :(
4) Google is your friend
5) What food style do you like? What price point?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...ggestions.html

bensyd Aug 29, 2015 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by 869 (Post 25349218)
1) Any recommendations for airport transfer to hotel? Will probably book a limo and would like them to me meet us inside airport.

I use towncars.com. Never had a problem with them. Always meet me in the arrivals hall.

number_6 Aug 30, 2015 1:32 am

EK doesn't have an F lounge, only a combined J/F lounge -- so the QF F lounge is markedly superior in every respect (while the EK J lounge beats the QF J lounge :) ). Restaurants are pretty good in Sydney by US standards and price point varies from $10 to $500 per person for a meal. What are you looking for?

Mwenenzi Aug 30, 2015 1:44 am

Originally Posted by 869 (Post 25349218)
3)On departure from Syd, is the Qantas F lounge far superior to the Etihad F lounge?

869's post refers to EY (an AA partner) and not EK (a QF partner)

Kiwi Flyer Aug 30, 2015 1:49 am

EY also has a combined first/business lounge in SYD. While it is very nice for a business lounge I'd rate QF first class lounge as better.

869 Aug 30, 2015 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 25349260)
1) What hotel? Ask the hotel. Most people take a regular taxi (or the train). Limo is not a term often used in Australia.
2) Far better to do a self tour. Take the train and walk artound or rent a car locally
3) Lounge access will depend on your ticket. On what basis do you think QF or EY are options? :(
4) Google is your friend
5) What food style do you like? What price point?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...ggestions.html

1) Park Hyatt. Honeymoon trip so looking at limo or a high end sedan. Just checking options

2) Considering both guided plus self tour but running out of time and extremely busy so if anyone has a good tour co. I would consider just doing that

3) Flying F on Etihad. I have read extensively about the QF lounge so considering working something out to gain access so we can check it out. If the EY lounge is reasonably close to the QF, perhaps I will just skip the hassle.

4) ...

5) Just looking for some FT's favorites. Open to any price point or cuisine. Sydney's best.

869 Aug 30, 2015 4:41 am

Originally Posted by bensyd (Post 25349293)
I use towncars.com. Never had a problem with them. Always meet me in the arrivals hall.

Thank you, bensyd.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 25349583)
EY also has a combined first/business lounge in SYD. While it is very nice for a business lounge I'd rate QF first class lounge as better.

Thank you, Kiwi Flyer. I understand QF's F lounge in SYD is one of the best.

Mwenenzi Aug 30, 2015 5:02 am

Originally Posted by 869 (Post 25349898)
3) Flying F on Etihad. I have read extensively about the QF lounge so considering working something out to gain access so we can check it out. If the EY lounge is reasonably close to the QF, perhaps I will just skip the hassle.

There is no way will you get access to any QF lounge when on an Etihad flight.

JClasstraveller Aug 30, 2015 6:25 am

Re 5)

Sepia (contemporary Asian influenced) - but good luck trying to get a reservation 3 weeks out.

Quay (contemporary) - for dinner, good luck trying to get a reservation 3 weeks out.

Those 2 are the biggest "names" in Sydney dining, probably along with The Bridge Room and Rockpool and Rockpool Bar and Grill. My personal view is that Aria is a bit overrated.

However, I like Pendolino (Italian), Billy Kwong (Chinese). There is a Sydney restaurant thread in this forum with plenty of suggestions.

For cheaper dining, there's a lot of good options - Chat Thai, Mamak, various cafes for breakfast/brunch. Those cafes are probably the best value.

869 Aug 30, 2015 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 25349960)
There is no way will you get access to any QF lounge when on an Etihad flight.

Perhaps you need to get creative. I'll get in if I want to.

Exec_Plat Aug 30, 2015 10:22 am

2) Considering both guided plus self tour but running out of time and extremely busy so if anyone has a good tour co. I would consider just doing that

Not that hard. Book a car, for Katoomba. Contact the concierge at PH, ask if they can arrange train booking. In 20 min you can figure it out. Heck, on the train ride there you can plot the day's activities... And not be trapped in a bus.

Be spontaneous. ;)

My 2 cents

869 Aug 30, 2015 10:24 am

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller (Post 25350111)
Re 5)

Sepia (contemporary Asian influenced) - but good luck trying to get a reservation 3 weeks out.

Quay (contemporary) - for dinner, good luck trying to get a reservation 3 weeks out.

Those 2 are the biggest "names" in Sydney dining, probably along with The Bridge Room and Rockpool and Rockpool Bar and Grill. My personal view is that Aria is a bit overrated.

However, I like Pendolino (Italian), Billy Kwong (Chinese). There is a Sydney restaurant thread in this forum with plenty of suggestions.

For cheaper dining, there's a lot of good options - Chat Thai, Mamak, various cafes for breakfast/brunch. Those cafes are probably the best value.

Thanks - Had a reservation at Sepia but canceled it due to a change in plans. Have held one at Rockpool too. I will have to check out Billy Kwong.

869 Aug 30, 2015 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat (Post 25350876)
Be spontaneous. ;)

My 2 cents

Alright - I'll take the train and then rent a car. Thx!

CRAZ8 Aug 30, 2015 12:45 pm

1) Park Hyatt. Honeymoon trip so looking at limo or a high end sedan. Just checking options

Park Hyatt Sydney has a hotel car that costs about $10 more than an Uber Black to the airport from the hotel. For airport pickup, I don't know if they charge more. It's a very nice Audi A8 (at least it was in June!)

Edit: Oh yeh, it cost a fixed $110 AUD (Uber Black was $98 from airport to hotel for me, but could have been more with traffic), and they just added it to the bill.