Easter 2016: 2 weeks based out of Melbourne....where else to visit??

Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Question Easter 2016: 2 weeks based out of Melbourne....where else to visit??

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with some ideas and advice. Apologies in advance for this long first post.

I just booked return flights from London to Melbourne (LHR-OSL-LHR-SYD-MEL out and MEL-SIN-LHR-OSL-LHR back) for the Easter period next year (out on 18 Mar, back on 2 Apr). My birthday is on 30 Mar and the plan is to spend it with one of my closest friends who lives in Melbourne (we used to work together in Hong Kong but have now returned to our respective countries). Unfortunately Easter falls on 25-28 March next year so it means it's right before my birthday so I can't avoid travelling in this more expensive, busy period.

As background, I'm a 45 year old female who lives in central London. My partying days are definitely over and I'm more interested in nature, animals, peace & quiet (I have a stressful job) and good food and wine/coffee. I'm also not averse to some recreational shopping if it's locally made, more artisan stuff (or shoes or Sephora lol). I'm not a huge fan of touristy activities but I do them through gritted teeth so I can at least have a considered opinion on them. (and some times I've been pleasantly surprised!). I lived in Hong Kong for 3 years so that was a great base to visit Australia from so I've previously spent time in Melbourne, Sydney (& Blue Mountains) and Perth (& Fremantle & Margaret River) plus 2 trips over to Auckland.

Excluding flying time, I will have 14 days in Australia, and will use Melbourne as my start and end point. I will rent an apartment in St Kilda (the places I like are within my budget and are currently available for any days within my 2 week window) as my friend lives in Brighton so St Kilda is nicely located between Brighton and the CBD. This is my third visit to Melbourne so I've done the more touristy things but I'm considering driving the Great Ocean Road and staying over in Apollo Bay/Port Campbell for 1-2 nights. Last time I did a 1 day bus tour of the GOR and loved it (even though it was winter) but it'd be great to do it at my own pace this time. I also want to go back to Phillip Island and see the penguins again (super-touristy but I had an amazing experience last time).

Other than that, I'm looking for ideas for a few days outside of Melbourne. I'd originally planned to visit Brisbane and have a (cancellable) booking there for 5 days but I'm hearing that 1) Brisbane isn't worth a visit (?!) and 2) March is a bad time to go as there may be stormy weather at the tail end of cyclone season. Any thoughts on this? It sounds like the Gold Coast isn't really my scene but maybe Noosa might fit better?

I'd considered a few days in Cairns or Darwin but since it's the wet season, I take it this isn't a great idea?? (I'm not into diving etc although as a former rower, I do love being on boats). I'm used to the HK wet season and it doesn't bother me so not sure if that means I should look at Cairns or Darwin after all??? What do you think?

I've considered Uluru but it seems very expensive for a few days and again, people are telling me that it's not worth it?? I get very mixed feedback. I'd love to stay at Longitude 131 for 2 nights but I just can't justify that expense. Even looking at the (relatively) cheaper accommodation near Uluru, it still seems like a high cost and a lot of time spent travelling so I'm finding this less and less appealing.

My remaining options are Canberra, Adelaide or Tasmania. I don't know much about any of them yet (they haven't been on my list of burning places to visit in the past - unlike Sydney and Melbourne). Or I've considered hopping on a flight to Christchurch/Queenstown in NZ, or even Fiji and spending 5 days there.

In summary, I'm thinking that I'll arrive in Melbourne on Fri 18 Mar and spend the weekend there recovering from jetlag, seeing my friend and generally chilling out. Then I have approx up to 7 days (right over Easter unfortunately) where I want to "do something" or "go somewhere" before being back in Melbourne on 30 Mar for my birthday and staying there until I leave on Sat 2 Apr. Any recommendations what I can do in that 7 day period??

Really appreciate your help so thanks in advance!
Old Aug 8, 2015, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Ok, my plans are developing....I've now decided that I want to visit Hobart (and have found some interesting places to stay) so it's just a question of do I visit Brisbane as well? I'm currently thinking:

Arrive in Melbourne - 3 days there
Brisbane - 4 days
Hobart - 4 days (Easter)
Back to Melbourne for 4 days & leave

Does this sound reasonable? Or should I forget Brisbane???
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by bibbju
Ok, my plans are developing....I've now decided that I want to visit Hobart (and have found some interesting places to stay) so it's just a question of do I visit Brisbane as well? I'm currently thinking:

Brisbane - 4 days
Hobart - 4 days (Easter)
Back to Melbourne for 4 days & leave

Does this sound reasonable? Or should I forget Brisbane???
You will be alone, other than in Melbourne?
Brisbane doesn't have much to offer, but the weather in March is pleasant - yes there can be a couple of rainy days, but generally speaking it is sunny and 30 degrees at that time of year (check out the actual weather for March 2015). The Sunshine Coast has plenty to offer, but you would need a car.

Hobart is okay, but the weather is alot colder than Brisbane. For four days it would be good. Maybe instead of Brisbane you could do Adelaide and Kangaroo Island? Have a look and see if it interests you. You could drive from Melbourne to Adelaide.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crocodile
You will be alone, other than in Melbourne?
Brisbane doesn't have much to offer, but the weather in March is pleasant - yes there can be a couple of rainy days, but generally speaking it is sunny and 30 degrees at that time of year (check out the actual weather for March 2015). The Sunshine Coast has plenty to offer, but you would need a car.

Hobart is okay, but the weather is alot colder than Brisbane. For four days it would be good. Maybe instead of Brisbane you could do Adelaide and Kangaroo Island? Have a look and see if it interests you. You could drive from Melbourne to Adelaide.
Thanks! I've now abandoned Brisbane.

Yes, I'm travelling alone.

I've actually extended my stay in Melbourne by a few days so I'm there for the F1 weekend. So I'm now thinking:

Great Ocean Road- 3 days
Hobart - 5 days (Easter)
Back to Melbourne for 7 days (including F1 weekend) & leave

This seems like a more sensible plan given the amount of flying I'm doing to get to and from Aus. I want to enjoy my stay (and relax a little) rather than be permanently exhausted. I can always do the odd day trip or two from Melbourne in my last week if I find I'm going stir crazy.

So, now my only question is how to spend my 5 days in Tassie. I'm guessing it makes most sense to be based in Hobart and just do day trips from there rather than trying to split my base between Hobart and Launceston (or even Devonport)....does this seem sensible or is a split location feasible over 5 days???

I don't mind it being a bit chilly in Hobart. I'm English so it's normal ha ha. Actually, the first time I went to Melbourne it was in the middle of winter and I still loved it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.