Search

Cairns for a day advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K
Cairns for a day advice

Hello,
Arrive to CNS ~12p on a Wednesday and leave for a meeting on Fitzroy Island early on that Friday. I'm sure I'll be exhausted from the long travels from the east coast of the US, but wondering if I should book an excursion for that Thursday, my one full day in Cairns. From looking at this forum, seems like there's not much to do in the city proper - is that a fair statement? Already have a snorkel excursion booked to the outer reef following the meeting, so wouldn't want to do that. Advice? Is the scenic railway trip worth it/better than staying for a day in Cairns? Thanks very much!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 3:13 pm

Do the Scenic Railway one way and Skyrail the other way. Make sure you get off at each stop on the Skyrail. It's well worth it!

There's plenty to do in Kuranda.

The Koala Gardens are quite good - small, but intimate. Butterfly Sanctuary is also very good.

Otherwise just walk around, have a look at the shops and grab a bite to eat.

You can do everything at your own pace, which should be good after a such a long trip.

For Wednesday arvo just have a wander through town - there's a little art gallery, quite a few shops (though some very touristy) to have a poke through, and go grab a drink at one of the waterfront bars like the Salt House.
There's a big esplanade parkland area that stretches 1.5 miles (albeit onto mudflats) with a big man made lagoon that's nice for a stroll, some fresh air and some people watching.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
and watch the bats at sunset. Not for everyone though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.