Wiki Posts
Search

Australia/NZ with toddler - trip ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Australia/NZ with toddler - trip ideas?

we (me +wife) are thinking of a trip to Aus/NZ for 2 weeks sometime late Feb/early Mar (mebbe a couple of days more inc for travel) with a 1.5 year old.

This will be our first time there. She has been on long flights (Seattle - LHR - India) when she was ~ 1 year old. A few questions .

1. With just 2 weeks time, should i even consider NZ or Tasmania?

2. Was thinking 3-4 days in Sydney.
another 3-4 days in Cairns. Neither of us are swimmers. and with a toddler in tow, not sure we can do much besides may be taking a boat tour or something like that.

3. Where to go/what to do for the remaining time there? Melbourne? Dont want to put her thru a scenic drive or anything she cannot enjoy. Dont want to put her thru any extended drive either.

We might buy a seat for the kiddo, even if she can be a lap infant. 14hrs on the lap might be too painful- - besides the safety concerns - effectively making the trip 50% more expensive.

are we just burning too much cash to not fully enjoy the place, as it is supposed to be? I am supposed to take time off during htis time - so only australia came to mind.

Thanks for any suggestions/inputs in advance. Appreciate it.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: QF
Don't do the lap baby thing, at least not for 14 hours! It's up to you as to if you get a child seat, but when we've flown with our kids we haven't bothered, just straight onto the seat itself (they still need to do the lap thing for take off and landing).

There is a fair bit to do in cairns (and surrounds) which does not require swimming. In fact the only place in cairns I'd consider swimming (splashing around in water) is the lagoon (or if heading out to the reef, but even then there are glass bottom boats). We did 4 days in cairns with a young one a couple of years ago, Trip report here -> http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...rns-43254.html

There are also many good beaches within a few hours drive of Sydney (in either direction) which are excellent for toddlers to run around on. Fitting in NZ is up to you. I guess it depends on how much time you like to spend in any one place.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:53 am

Agree with harvyk, buy a seat for the little one for that really long-haul flight.

Cairns in Feb/Mar will be quite warm and very wet, and if I was a non-swimmer travelling with an infant I'd avoid it at that time of year.

I'd consider, firstly, splitting my Australia time between Melbourne and Sydney, both of which have plenty to do, and great public transport options, which mean you could avoid hiring a car for the duration if you stay in the CBD.

Secondly, if you've considered Sydney to Cairns, definitely consider Sydney to NZ - the distance is about the same. I'm a fan of Tasmania, but it's best for its rugged outdoors, and I wouldn't recommend it with an infant.

If you narrow down city options, post back here with some info on what you and your wife like to do, for more detailed responses for each place you're thinking about.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by harishv79
2. Was thinking 3-4 days in Sydney.
another 3-4 days in Cairns. Neither of us are swimmers. and with a toddler in tow, not sure we can do much besides may be taking a boat tour or something like that.
Kuranda Scenic Railway and the Skyrail.

Trip out to Fitzroy Island or Green Island. Green Island has the glass bottomed boats and both islands have beach areas

Day at Palm Cove Beach - lots of cafes and a nice beach to sit and play on.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:21 am

Hi harishv79,

I think it’s a great choice to visit Australia, as there’s really a lot to see.

If I were you, I’d seriously consider opting for a caravan – that way all of your concerns for a long trip with a child with almost instantly be solved. The comfort is really second to almost none, besides you’d have total flexibility of where and when you want to go, which can make the two weeks a lot more productive. We have a great time with our Explorex caravan traveling through Eastern Australia last year. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.