Wiki Posts
Search

One Week in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
One Week in Australia

We are heading to Australia for 9 days this December for New Years. We definitely want to see the Great Barrier reef and the east coast and have heard great things about Byron Bay. I have put together the following itinerary and was hoping for input/suggestions on the reality of the itinerary which essentially allows for 3 days at the reef, 2 on the coast further south, and 3.5 in Sydney.

Day 1: arrive in Cairns 2:00 PM. Pick up vehicle and relax in Port Douglas. Stay at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas.
Day 2: Great Barrier Reef - any suggestions on day trips for snorkeling? I would like to dive, but fiance only snorkels, are there any companies incorporating both?
Day 3: Day trip through one of the following: Atherton Tablelands, Raintree Rainforest, Kuranda, or Mossman Gorge/River.
Day 4: AM flight to Brisbane - rent vehicle and drive to Byron Bay.
Day 5: Byron Bay - possibly spend the night in Surfers Paradise to cut drive to Brisbane airport in half.
Day 6 (December 31): afternoon flight to Sydney
- any suggestions or where to watch fireworks? I am attempting to purchase a spot through Royal Botanic Garden Sydney so I dont have to spend an entire day in the sun reserving a spot.
Day 7: Sydney
- Day: ferry to Manly
- Night: dinner reservations at Rockpool
Day 8: Sydney
- Day: blue mountains
Day 9: fly home 5:00 PM
Old Aug 3, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by JonB110
We are heading to Australia for 9 days this December for New Years. We definitely want to see the Great Barrier reef and the east coast and have heard great things about Byron Bay. I have put together the following itinerary and was hoping for input/suggestions on the reality of the itinerary which essentially allows for 3 days at the reef, 2 on the coast further south, and 3.5 in Sydney.

Day 1: arrive in Cairns 2:00 PM. Pick up vehicle and relax in Port Douglas. Stay at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas.
Day 2: Great Barrier Reef - any suggestions on day trips for snorkeling? I would like to dive, but fiance only snorkels, are there any companies incorporating both?
Day 3: Day trip through one of the following: Atherton Tablelands, Raintree Rainforest, Kuranda, or Mossman Gorge/River.
Day 5: Byron Bay - possibly spend the night in Surfers Paradise to cut drive to Brisbane airport in half.
- any suggestions or where to watch fireworks? I am attempting to purchase a spot through Royal Botanic Garden Sydney so I dont have to spend an entire day in the sun reserving a spot.
It looks ok.

Caveats - it's wet season up in Cairns so it will be very hot and humid and the likelihood of afternoon thunderstorms is high. The Daintree is fantastic but I haven't been in summer.

I've used Quicksilver out of Port Douglas for reef tours. Additional caveat of jellyfish season too. Swimming at beaches at that time of year should only be done in specially marked zones.

I don't think you'll need to stay at Surfers Paradise. Accommodation will be frightfully expensive at that time of year (actually Byron will too), traffic will be heavy. Just make sure you leave Byron in good time (with the awful traffic, I'd give yourself 4 hours just to be safe).

Have you already booked at Rockpool? If not, make sure Rockpool is open on New Year's Day.

Also, if you haven't booked your hotel in Sydney, do it NOW.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: ; BAEC Silver; Qantas FF Gold; Hertz Gold, Accor A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by JonB110

One day in blue mountains is a bit short I think. For reef, I'd go for Magnetic island or Fraser Island. Maggie is quieter. Fraser has more to do.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
It looks ok.

Have you already booked at Rockpool? If not, make sure Rockpool is open on New Year's Day.

Also, if you haven't booked your hotel in Sydney, do it NOW.

Thank you both for the suggestions! I have made the reservations at Rockpool and reservations in Sydney NYE were made prior to securing airfare.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Fraser Island is great. However I really like sailing around the Whitsunday islands. The snorkeling to see the reef was better and you got to see the islands. Its stunning scenery.

I wouldn't bother with surfers paradise, its nothing special really.

If i had to pick i would rather go to the Whitsundays and Fraser island and skip out byron bay and a day in Sydney.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Looks pretty good and you've already got some great advice from others. Personally, I'd not bother with Byron for what will end up being one day. Spend the time in FNQ or Sydney. If you're set on Byron you might want to fly into Coolangatta rather than Brisbane. It will shave an hour or so off your drive to Byron. It's about 45 minutes from OOL to Byron.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Much as I like Byron Bay I wouldn't include it in this trip. It's is peak school holiday time, the area will be packed, the roads will be packed, you don't want to be on the coastal highway anywhere between the Sunshine Coast (just north of Brisbane) and Sydney at that time of year.
Spend one extra day in Port Douglas (although I agree with the caveat re wet season) and one extra day in Sydney. Lots of great beaches to hit in Sydney.

For scuba/snorkel on the reef, go with someone like Poseidon. Much smaller and more personal than the massive packed Quicksilver boats.

Also, re suggestion of Fraser Island. Great place but it's nowhere near the Reef.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wallaby
Much as I like Byron Bay I wouldn't include it in this trip. It's is peak school holiday time, the area will be packed, the roads will be packed, you don't want to be on the coastal highway anywhere between the Sunshine Coast (just north of Brisbane) and Sydney at that time of year.
Spend one extra day in Port Douglas (although I agree with the caveat re wet season) and one extra day in Sydney. Lots of great beaches to hit in Sydney.

For scuba/snorkel on the reef, go with someone like Poseidon. Much smaller and more personal than the massive packed Quicksilver boats.

Also, re suggestion of Fraser Island. Great place but it's nowhere near the Reef.
Thank you for the advice. I am now looking to either extend my stay in Port Douglas or visit the whitesundays.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Good Choice. Also some of these boat trips can be over night trips, if that interests you?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: QF
Having been in both Surfers and Byron at the times which you are suggesting, it will be busy, but no where near as bad as people are making out, esp if all you're wanting to do is spend the day on the beach. Just make sure you have your hotel booking sorted since this will be peak time.

I've done the drive from SYD-BNE over the x-mas / NY period and whilst it's busy, it's hardly what I'd be calling insane.

I would however be careful about visiting up north that time of year. It's wet season, which means you may spend a good amount of the time indoors, it's stinger season which means no (or limited) snorkel / scuba on the reef.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.