Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tony Abbott confirms Badgerys Creek as site of second Sydney airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
The good news is that SACL has first rights on building and running the airport and it's car parking.
LOL, thanks a lot John Howard.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by oldfolky
Believe. I've found an artists rendition of QF1 taking off in 2025

Which one is the Qantas flight?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by oldfolky
Does anyone else think that AU$2.5bn doesn't buy a lot of airport? Heathrow T5 cost GBŁ4.3bn, Laguardia is spending US$3.6bn on revamping the central terminal. BER cost EUR4.3bn, built on an existing airport and it isn't even functional. How does Abbott reckon he's going to get a fully functioning greenfield airport for AU$2.5bn?
I gather the plan is "by not building very much airport" -- this is apparently designed to supplement good old Kingsford Smith, not replace it entirely, and the initial target will be domestic airlines and LCCs. Whether this plan makes any sense, especially given how "well" this has worked out for Avalon in Melbourne (which is roughly as far away), is another matter.

On the upside, the site is quite close to the end of the upcoming Leppington rail link, so extending that to the airport would not be hard and this is apparently included in the planning as well. Then again, MEL would also require only a spur of a few km, and that's been going nowhere fast for a couple of decades now.

My only glimmer of hope in all this is that someday, Badgerys Creek can be incorporated into the Sydney-Canberra high speed rail link when they get around to building it. But let's just say I'm not holding my breath

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.