Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting through Port Moresby Jacksons Apt. / POM with Air Niugini

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:20 am
Formerly known as tireman77
Original Poster

Can anyone offer tricks or suggestions for connecting International to Domestic at POM on Air Niugini?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

OK. I guess not. For anyone who needs info, I found this. It seems quite helpful: http://travelingtopng.wordpress.com
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Give yourself plenty of time. If arriving between dusk and dawn expeditiously move between terminals. If you have a long wait, perhaps the on-airport (Airways Hotel) (look for the C-47 / DC-3) is a good place to wait - restaurant, etc.

I've never experienced problems, but the last trip we overnighted at the Airways Hotel to catch a morning flight to Alotau. One of our fellow divers got caught in a firefight between terminals; the security guys fled, our friend attempted to stanch bleeding from the shoulder wound of a passenger walking near him. His calls for first aid equipment were ignored - apparently none was available - so he stabilized the injured guy and secured the man's shirt to block the bleeding and left the guy to his friends to get him care and speedily walked to the domestic terminal. 'im bagerup bad.

The security folks did not put on an appearance until it was safe to do so, and the raskals were assuredly long gone.

(The dive resort we stayed at was held up by armed robbers a couple of weeks after we left. A couple of usual dive spots were closed to us due to a clan-based land dispute after a clan headman died; to ignore the warnings, we were told, meant risking spears or even bullets for our impertinence.)

The time before, we enjoyed our stay on Loloata island prior to flying to our dive boat port. Not long after, the resort was invaded and robbed by more armed raskals.

PNG is well worth visiting (though the diving has deteriorated over the years due to everything from shark finning by foreign fishers to overexploitation of fishing resources (including dynamite and cyanide fishing), the taking of mollusks (e.g. chambered nautilus, which irresponsible dive boat operators taught native people to bait with chicken so they could deep catch, and release in the morning in shallow waters for divers to photo and video) and other creatures for selling dead shells etc. to tourists, and the use of fertilizers on denuded lands washing into coastal waters causing eutrophication and coral death.

Local knowledge can be crucial in PNG at times. Chances are visitors won't experience trouble, but it's best to use local knowledge to manage risks.

(Divers should research first - maybe Fiji, Indonesia, Philippines etc. would provide better diving with fewer hassles.)

You still can't beat the birding or the cultural richness of PNG - for now, so go sooner, rather than later.

And be aware there is chloroquine-resistant falciparum malaria that has also developed significant resistance against Lariam. Check Malarone or other effective options with your travel-savvy health care practitioner.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 22, 2014 at 2:47 pm Reason: add link
Old Feb 22, 2014, 1:55 pm

Location: Auckland NZ or somewhere in or over the South Pacific
Programs: NZ *GE
Connecting through Port Moresby with Air Niugini

If you can do your domestic check in before you leave the secure part of international arrivals do that, if it's no longer available get your bags head out the doors and walk with purpose down to the domestic check in area. How long is the transit?

Last edited by Mangi Nambis; Sep 13, 2014 at 6:20 am
Old Feb 22, 2014, 1:58 pm

Connecting through Port Moresby with Air Niugini

Where are you coming from and going to as this can make a bit of a difference, and check about your visa as PNG now seem to be instigating a NO visa on arrival for Australian passport holders effective March 1st
Old Feb 22, 2014, 2:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Now, there's an idea whose time has come! ^

Originally Posted by Mangi Nambis
Where are you coming from and going to as this can make a bit of a difference, and check about your visa as PNG now seem to be instigating a NO visa on arrival for Australian passport holders effective March 1st
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:21 pm

Be interesting to see it implemented. PNG has requested the same courtesy of Australia and told no, many times.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info. And WOW, I thought I've had interesting connection occurrences in far off lands. Gunfights...not so much. I have 3 hours both ways. I'm arriving via Brisbane but I'm Canadian, so no changes to the Visa policy so far. I'll keep all of this in mind. I've heard amazing things about the diving so I'm looking forward to it.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:51 am

In the last 4 or 5 years I've done this transit 3 times and not once had any significant problems. Each time I've been on a QF code share (PX metal) BNE-POM then PX POM-LAE/MAG/etc.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks Vecta. I am expecting an uneventful transfer.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

I just learned of a flight schedule change on my return. I will now have 6 hours at POM. Looks like I should head over to Airways Hotel. Anyone know if there is a shuttle?
Old May 29, 2014, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by tireman77
I just learned of a flight schedule change on my return. I will now have 6 hours at POM. Looks like I should head over to Airways Hotel. Anyone know if there is a shuttle?
http://www.airways.com.pg/residences/

Features Include; 24 hour reception, free airport transfers, daily maid service, swimming pool, complimentary laundry, balcony furniture, full kitchen facilities and ADSL Broadband Internet Services.
If you have an apartment booking then most certainly they do offer a free shuttle however it's not clear if you stay in the regular hotel rooms you are also offered this service.

I'd shoot a mail off to the hotel to confirm.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vecta
http://www.airways.com.pg/residences/

If you have an apartment booking then most certainly they do offer a free shuttle however it's not clear if you stay in the regular hotel rooms you are also offered this service.

I'd shoot a mail off to the hotel to confirm.
It would just be for lunch, and more than likely a few drinks. (Or should I have said 'likely more than a few drinks'?) Their website is horrendous, so I didn't find the info. Thanks for the link on the residences. Had not found that one.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
POM cxn advice

I'm about to book Tawali Resort and PNG flights for the Xmas holidays and the cxn times have me nervous.
We're arriving from CNS on QF /Sunstate with a 2:25 hr cxn in POM to an Airlines PNG flight to GUR. (No OLCI with CG)

I know this is somewhat risky, but any other choice will cost us a day of diving and a $300 room at Airways. (I've been there, it's nice, but I'd rather be underwater!)
My question is, how much time will I save getting our visas ahead of time? This involves sending passports to the D.C. embassy (hassles and $$$). Also, we won't have Kina available so will also have to stop at the ATM for a VOA, and of course lots of baggage.

On the return (same airlines) we have a 2:45 hour layover DOM-INTL, which also has me nervous, but at least we have a few days in CNS before our flights back to the US.

Would using an Australian agent who specializes in dive travel help? I've heard good things about Diversion Dive Travel from TA. I normally like to be in control of my own bookings, but...

I need to book something soon so appreciate any advice!
Old May 30, 2014, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chavala
I'm about to book Tawali Resort and PNG flights for the Xmas holidays and the cxn times have me nervous.
We're arriving from CNS on QF /Sunstate with a 2:25 hr cxn in POM to an Airlines PNG flight to GUR. (No OLCI with CG)

I know this is somewhat risky, but any other choice will cost us a day of diving and a $300 room at Airways. (I've been there, it's nice, but I'd rather be underwater!)
My question is, how much time will I save getting our visas ahead of time? This involves sending passports to the D.C. embassy (hassles and $$$). Also, we won't have Kina available so will also have to stop at the ATM for a VOA, and of course lots of baggage.

On the return (same airlines) we have a 2:45 hour layover DOM-INTL, which also has me nervous, but at least we have a few days in CNS before our flights back to the US.

Would using an Australian agent who specializes in dive travel help? I've heard good things about Diversion Dive Travel from TA. I normally like to be in control of my own bookings, but...

I need to book something soon so appreciate any advice!
I'm leaving next week, so I'll be able to tell you more in a few weeks.

That being said, this site gave me a good deal of information: http://travelingtopng.wordpress.com
According to this site 2 hours is adequate. Since Aussies now need to get their visa before arriving, I would think the line for those who want a visa at the airport would be much shorter. I opted for getting the Visa at POM.

Also, it was suggested by my dive travel expert (she's awesome and has done PNG multiple times) to book your flight from AUS on Air Niugini. That way you get international baggage limits for your flights, even the domestic portion. Doing it the other way could incur a big extra baggage charge, since its a purely domestic flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.