Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas or Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Qantas or Delta?

I am flying from SYD to JFK (or LGA) in late January 2014. Right now my priority is an early arrival time, so I'm looking at two flights:

Delta DL 16 (marketed by Virgin, not sure what that means) Boeing 777-200ER & Boeing 767-300ER Vers. 1

OR

Qantas QF 107 (marketed by American) Boeing 747-438 Longreach 2-Class

Either way I'll be going economy class, but I was hoping anyone who has flown these routes/planes before could offer some advice. The price difference between the two in negligible. I'm 5'2, so leg room is not a huge deal for me. I will not have any checked bags. The Delta flight supposedly has one inch more of width in the seats, but I doubt one single inch makes much difference. I don't fly often enough to qualify for any special programs upgrades or any of that.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: QF
Personally I would pick QF. Decent IFE, decent food / free booze and that includes the LAX-JFK leg.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, QF, UA, HH Gold, SPG
Don't discount the importance of that extra inch of width! Even if you yourself fit comfortably width-wise in the seat, your seatmate(s) may not. Every inch counts in that case, especially on such a long flight. DL is admittedly my program of choice (for now) so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. But for long-hauls like these, all else being equal, I would opt for the roomier seat on DL16.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rawr703
I am flying from SYD to JFK (or LGA) in late January 2014. Right now my priority is an early arrival time, so I'm looking at two flights:

Delta DL 16 (marketed by Virgin, not sure what that means) Boeing 777-200ER & Boeing 767-300ER Vers. 1

OR

Either way I'll be going economy class, but I was hoping anyone who has flown these routes/planes before could offer some advice. The price difference between the two in negligible. I'm 5'2, so leg room is not a huge deal for me. I will not have any checked bags. The Delta flight supposedly has one inch more of width in the seats, but I doubt one single inch makes much difference. I don't fly often enough to qualify for any special programs upgrades or any of that.

These seem to be codeshare flights: DL or QF own the plane, hire the FAs, fly the aircraft, etc. but your ticket is sold by Virgin or AA and written on their ticket stock (usually) with their flight number, often a much higher version of the operating carrier's flight number, so that QF 107 becomes something like AA8107. The two airlines share the money.

The DL 777 is a lovely new plane with good AVOD, including in coach. From LAX to JFK, you will ride in a 767, which might be newly redone, again with good AVOD. However, some SL 767s appear old, battered and depressing. The good ones have a 1-2-1 seat map in business class, versus the old 2-2-2 version. Either way, the seating in coach will be 2-3-2.

Try to find out more about the aircraft that QF uses on this route. It's a 747, but when was the plane's interior last updated? I would assume that the coach configuration is 3-4-3, which means many more middle seats.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's a 747, but when was the plane's interior last updated?
Probably very recently, QF have upgraded all bar 2 of their 747's with "A380" seats and IFE in the last year or so. They tend to run the pride of the fleet on transpac flights.

The remaining 2 have a F cabin and are typically used on SYD-HKG flights (the only route where QF still offers F on 747's).

You are right, in eccon it's a 3-4-3 seating.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Sorry guys I'm a bit lost on the lingo. AVOD? F cabin?

And thanks for explaining the codeshare.

The DL flight is also a half hour shorter, so for now I'm leaning that way. I flew JFK-LAX-AKL in 2009 on a Qantas Boeing 747, and then an Airbus A320 on the way back. I had no issues with Qantas, which is why I'm considering them again. I don't believe I've ever flown Delta, and I've heard internationally based carriers can offer a more pleasant flight. I don't know the reasoning behind that logic but it's what I've heard.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:17 pm

OR

I may be incorrect about your arrival times but suspect someone else will also check or hopefully has made the flight.
I chose Dep: Jan 22 2014 Ret:Jan 29 2014
on the Delta and Qantas sites

DL16 stops in LAX at 06:12AM for a plane change and arrives in JFK at 4:51 PM (16:51)
( not sure about Customs/Immigration/Agriculture as there is only a 1:30 layover indicated but usually it is at the first port of arrival)
(Also the DETAIL link on the DL site appears to be incorrect as far as arrival and departure in LAX)

QF107 stops in LAX at 06:15AM and arrives in JFK at 17:00

Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:22 pm

AVOD = Audio and Video on Demand, aka the little seat back screens,

IFE = In-Flight Entertainment

F Cabin = First Class Cabin

Basically QF are removing their First Class cabin from most of their 747's. The bright side is if you are traveling on a 747 route which doesn't has First Class (QF107 been one of those routes) it is very likely that you will get one of their refurbished 747's which will have better AVOD and seats than the non-refurbed aircraft.

The benefit of flying QF107 all the way through is you get an international class of service all the way to JFK, going on DL you will only receive the higher class of service from SYD-LAX, the LAX-JFK will be standard US domestic (no) service.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TJR9999
I may be incorrect about your arrival times but suspect someone else will also check or hopefully has made the flight.
I chose Dep: Jan 22 2014 Ret:Jan 29 2014
on the Delta and Qantas sites

DL16 stops in LAX at 06:12AM for a plane change and arrives in JFK at 4:51 PM (16:51)
( not sure about Customs/Immigration/Agriculture as there is only a 1:30 layover indicated but usually it is at the first port of arrival)
(Also the DETAIL link on the DL site appears to be incorrect as far as arrival and departure in LAX)

QF107 stops in LAX at 06:15AM and arrives in JFK at 17:00

You are correct about the arrival times, both get into JFK around 1700. While I'm very much NOT looking forward to the commute home after a 20+ hour flight during rush hour, unfortunately those are the earliest available arrival times.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by harvyk
AVOD = Audio and Video on Demand, aka the little seat back screens,

IFE = In-Flight Entertainment

F Cabin = First Class Cabin

Basically QF are removing their First Class cabin from most of their 747's. The bright side is if you are traveling on a 747 route which doesn't has First Class (QF107 been one of those routes) it is very likely that you will get one of their refurbished 747's which will have better AVOD and seats than the non-refurbed aircraft.

The benefit of flying QF107 all the way through is you get an international class of service all the way to JFK, going on DL you will only receive the higher class of service from SYD-LAX, the LAX-JFK will be standard US domestic (no) service.
Ah I see. Thanks for the explanation. It seems for now it's an extra inch of width in the seats vs. possibly newer seats & better service. hmmmm.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
The route that you're looking at is long enough to earn sufficient FF miles for a short haul or one way award ticket. If you do see yourself being able to take advantage of the award ticket, consider where to credit the miles you'd earn and if the booking class you are looking at earns miles.

Miles aside, having flown both airlines I'd vote for QF.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:55 am

OR

I have flown both and I would go with DL but it's really line ball. DL 16 is a 777-200LR and QF 107 is a 747-400ER. Seats are about on par although depending on your preferences the DL plane is pleather whilst the QF plane is cloth. All have personal TVs with free content, free beer, wine and spirits (DL will provide it if asked).

The only advantage of DL is there is no terminal change at LAX, although I understand QF is trying to do the same thing now using the remote stands.

As an aside you're not going to be able to get in to LGA without an additional stopover.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:17 pm

You are correct about the arrival times, both get into JFK around 1700. While I'm very much NOT looking forward to the commute home after a 20+ hour flight during rush hour, unfortunately those are the earliest available arrival times.
Unless there is a specific reason for your airline choices:
Cathay Pacific CX888 ....SYD>HKG>YVR>JFK arrives 06:00AM
Cathay Pacific CX138>CX830 SYD>HKG>JFK arrives 12:10PM

Hawaiian Air HA425>HA50 SYD>HNL>JFK arrives 06:55AM
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by OnTheAsile

You are aware that both your CX options get in the day later.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OnTheAsile

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
You are aware that both your CX options get in the day later.
The Hawaiian Air does too. I am looking at departing & arriving on a particular day, (28 Jan) and I want to be scheduled to land as early as possible, to allow for delays and maximize the amount of jet lag recovery time before the next morning.

Thank you for your help guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.